GDT: Grey Cup 2022 - Winnipeg Blue Bombers (15-3) v Toronto Argonauts (11-7)

Holden Caulfield

Eternal Skeptic
Feb 15, 2006
Winnipeg

2022-11-20 Game Tracker - Toronto Argonauts vs. Winnipeg Blue Bombers (6296) - CFL.ca

‘CAN’T ESCAPE THAT FEELING:’ GC109 IS HERE IN ALL ITS GLORY​

DON LANDRY​

@CFLLANDRY
It’s here again, Canada. The big game, with a shining history, adored by legions of faithful fans.
And two linebackers, from two very different places, are just the right guys to paint a pretty picture about the meaning of the Grey Cup game.
You might not think that eloquently expressing the loft of the occasion could be entrusted to a couple of smash-mouth tacklers, but believe me when I tell you that Mike O’Shea and Henoc Muamba can do it and they can do it well.
“I probably don’t speak in those kinds of words,” said O’Shea, greatly underestimating himself when asked to access his inner poet in order to talk about what the spectacle means to him, to players and to a nation.
O’Shea, the hall of fame linebacker who is in search of his seventh championship as both a player and a coach when his Winnipeg Blue Bombers take on the Toronto Argonauts in the 109th Grey Cup, ended up speaking in exactly those kinds of words.
“When you see the pictures of the previous champions hoisting the Cup and it’s got a base on it that’s only this big,” O’Shea began, holding his fingers a few inches apart, “and they’re drinking out of that same cup — that if you’re good enough that day you’ll get a chance to drink out of it — there’s something about sharing that same passion, vision, desire, goal, as guys did 109 years ago.

Holden Caulfield

Eternal Skeptic
Feb 15, 2006
Winnipeg
For those that don't know, Bombers are currently chasing a dynasty. They've won the past two Grey Cups, starting in 2019.

In 2019 after an up and down year using multiple QB's the came into the 2019 edition as massive underdogs to the dominant regular season 15-3 Ti-Cats. Using packages for both starting QB Zach Collaros (who had been apart of 3 different rosters that year starting in Saskatchewan before an injury then traded to Toronto and finally dealt to Winnipeg at the trade deadline having never played for Toronto that year) and QB Chris Streveler (now a member of the New York Jets) they had a varied attack on offense. But the defense stole the show getting to Hamilton QB Dane Evan early and often forcing multiple turnovers. This broke a 29 year championship drought for the Bombers (one of the longest in league history considering it's been mostly a 9 team league much of it's existence).

In 2021 the Bombers had a historically great defense. Averaging less than 1 TD allowed per game, they were lights out from start to finish, nearly all of their losses occurring after they had locked up 1st place in the league. The COVID shortened season resulted in a rematch between the Bombers and Ti-Cats in the Grey Cup. Played in a windy Iver Wynn Stadium (home of the Ti-Cats) the Bombers were heavily favoured to win in a reversal of 2019 predictions. A back and forth game for the feisty Ti-Cats resulted in OT where the Bombers' LB Kyrie Wilson managed to pick a tipped ball (INT by committee) Hamilton QB Jeremiah Masoli to secure the victory.

The 2022 Edition will feature the Bombers again. Once again the Bombers have had a dominant regular season, but this year have done much of it on Offense rather than the defense focus on the past two editions. Zach Collaros late career resurgence has him starting to climb the all-time QB rankings after back to back Most Outstanding Player awards in 2021 and 2022. Rookie sensation Dalton Schoen, a former walk on at Kansas, has sprung the forefront of the attack with 1400+ receiving yards and 16 TDs over the course of the season. Winnipegger RB Brady Oliveira has emerged from his backup spot on the 2019 and 2021 teams to take over the starting RB role and had a season high 130 yards in the West Final. The defense remains strong with LB Adam Bighill, DE Willie Jefferson and DHB Deatrick Nichols leading the way again.

Finally a new opponant for the Bombers will be the Toronto Argonauts. After some early struggles (including a early season clown pounding from the Nathan Rourke led BC Lions) the Argonauts emerged over the 2nd half of the year as the class of the East Division. Led by journeyman MacLeod Bethel-Thompson, who led the CFL in passing yards, the Argos have a very balanced team. Strong throughout. RB Andrew Harris, a Winnipeg native, will appear in his 3rd straight Grey Cup but this year it will be against the Bombers rather than for them. Disgruntled by the offer made to him by the Bombers in the off-season, he has extra motivation to win this game in what may be his final CFL game for the future Hall of Famer. WR Kurleigh Gittens Jr has emerged as one of the best young Canadian talents in the league. On defense the Argos are led by DE Ja'Gared Davis (making his stunning 6 straight appearance in the Grey Cup with 3 different teams), MLB Henoc Muamba (orginally drafted by the Bombers #1 Overall in 2011), and DHB Jamal Peters. The defense is probably the strength of this Argos team, they've given opposing offenses fits and have a knack for timely turnovers.

Should be a great game!

Last edited:
Reactions: snowkiddin

snowkiddin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 26, 2016
Has Toronto solidly put their in-fighting behind them? Would be nice if the Bombers can rattle them and they break down again, but I’m assuming they’ve found some composure given how successful they’ve been this season.

Holden Caulfield

Eternal Skeptic
Feb 15, 2006
Winnipeg
I'd have had the Bombers up much bigger here, but it been fairly even. Neither offense has found their rhythm. I'm biased as hell but to me it seems like Bombers D disrupting Argos O, meanwhile it's the Bombers O struggling all on their own.

Holden Caulfield

Eternal Skeptic
Feb 15, 2006
Winnipeg
10-7 at half. Gotta give give Argos credit, they are balling out particularly on D. They will need to break this Wpg D in the 2nd half. I have no doubt they'll have some chances in the 2nd half.

Blitzkrug

Sep 17, 2013
Winnipeg
CFL down bad if this is the best they can do.

Surely there's better than this garbage you can pull out. Shania Twain was great, Arkells were really good last year too. These three jabronis were the best you could do?

Holden Caulfield

Eternal Skeptic
Feb 15, 2006
Winnipeg
CFL down bad if this is the best they can do.

Surely there's better than this garbage you can pull out. Shania Twain was great, Arkells were really good last year too. These three jabronis were the best you could do?

So the rumour is that it was Shawn Mendes. He had a gap in his tour schedule and was in proper area of North America. But then he got COVID and canceled his world tour. So this is a last minute scramble. I'm not a fan of Mendes but my understanding is he's a big act.

Blitzkrug

Sep 17, 2013
Winnipeg
So the rumour is that it was Shawn Mendes. He had a gap in his tour schedule and was in proper area of North America. But then he got COVID and canceled his world tour. So this is a last minute scramble. I'm not a fan of Mendes but my understanding is he's a big act.
That would at least be a better look. Don't care for Mendes but I can at least acknowledge tons of other people do.

These three guys though? Not so much.

WeaponOfChoice

Jan 25, 2020
That would at least be a better look. Don't care for Mendes but I can at least acknowledge tons of other people do.

These three guys though? Not so much.
Same. I have no idea who these people are. Mendes I don't like but I am aware of him.

AussieBomberJet

Dec 28, 2017
Northern Beaches, Queensland
Thank goodness for grog and mute buttons to sound proof my home from the horrible half time show

Attachments

• IMG_20221121_111135.jpg
    IMG_20221121_111135.jpg
    179.4 KB · Views: 1

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad