Gretzky or Lemieux, One player you would pick to start your dynasty.

Gretzky or Lemieux, One player you would pick to start your dynasty.

• Gretzky

• Lemieux

• Mike Bossy

• McDavid

• Bobby Orr

• Paul Coffey

• Maurice Richard

• Ovechkin

• Hasek

• Howe

Results are only viewable after voting.

wetcoast

Nov 20, 2018
Also while Bossy, Richard, Coffey and Ovi are all time great, why are they even included in this poll?

Took Gretzky although really it's a tossup with Orr, then would take McDavid and then go off the board with #4 in Crosby or Potvin among post expansion players.

centipede2233

Sep 13, 2010
Weird poll, should have just included gretz, Lemieux and Orr. Rest are not worthy in this group. For me it’s Lemieux. A big bodied center with the IQ of gretz and hands of god, yes please. I see Lemieux as being able to do some things better than gretz then vice versa. Lemieux was bigger, better goal scorer (not greatest but best)

Bombshell11

Sponsor
Jul 21, 2022
Also while Bossy, Richard, Coffey and Ovi are all time great, why are they even included in this poll?

Took Gretzky although really it's a tossup with Orr, then would take McDavid and then go off the board with #4 in Crosby or Potvin among post expansion players.
because Richard is the OG best goal scorer and Ovi might become the greatest goal scorer of all time.

Goals are more valuable than assists so i think it was important to include them.

PlainGretzky

Mar 17, 2022
Are we talking no injuries/medical issues?
If so Mario, don’t get me wrong gretz was amazing (refer to my username I’m a big gretz fan) but Lemieux was a different type of player, big body, hands, shot, and insane IQ.
Gretzky had the privilege to be protected and never got injured… Lemieux dominated every decades he was in he played 60 games in the 92-93 season and won the art Ross.. then you look at his 95-96 season (with jagr as his wing man) he was 40+ points a head of the competition. Lemieux I as built different.
Gretzky is and will always be the goat but if I’m building a franchise with no injures or sicknesses I’m taking Lemieux.

wetcoast

Nov 20, 2018
because Richard is the OG best goal scorer and Ovi might become the greatest goal scorer of all time.

Goals are more valuable than assists so i think it was important to include them.

Fair enough but they are also poor choices for building a team around if there are only going to be 8 names from the 06 era onwards IMO.

Bombshell11

Sponsor
Jul 21, 2022
Fair enough but they are also poor choices for building a team around if there are only going to be 8 names from the 06 era onwards IMO.

Its mainly a Gretzky or Lemieux Poll

I just tried to add a bit of flavour with the Best PPG Defensemen, best goal scorers. I dont see how any other player (apart from Ovi) in the last 30 years would have a chance vs Lemieux or Gretz, McDacvid is the closest in terms of PPG, he's actually top 5 right now for players with at least 400 games played.

wetcoast

Nov 20, 2018
Its mainly a Gretzky or Lemieux Poll

I just tried to add a bit of flavour with the Best PPG Defensemen, best goal scorers. I dont see how any other player (apart from Ovi) in the last 30 years would have a chance vs Lemieux or Gretz, McDacvid is the closest in terms of PPG, he's actually top 5 right now for players with at least 400 games played.

I think that if you had the top 20 guys from the 06 era to today and had everyone rank their top 5 or even top 10 the 4 guys I mentioned Richard, Bossy, Coffey and Ovi wouldn't do so well compared to the top 4 guys not mentioned and even after that a bit.

Ovi probably would do the best but even then would people start and build a franchise around him over a guy like Potvin, Beliveau or Crosby just to name 3 guys?

Poppy Whoa Sonnet

J'Accuse!
Sponsor
Jan 24, 2007
Knowing what we know, why on earth would I not take the player whom have almost 3000 points in his NHL career :)
I'm assuming it means you pick them and put them into a modern NHL offense. Gretzky was destroying pylons and heavily outdated tactics, feel like Lemieux's dominance would translate better to the modern game. I'm assuming Lemieux maybe has better health luck.

Hug Ben Laf

#86 #10 #13
Mar 22, 2002
Im the guy next door
I'm assuming it means you pick them and put them into a modern NHL offense. Gretzky was destroying pylons and heavily outdated tactics, feel like Lemieux's dominance would translate better to the modern game. I'm assuming Lemieux maybe has better health luck.

Funny thing is, people have always been saying that Gretzky would not be as good coming to this league and that league and he have always proved people wrong. And after seeing him scoring almost 3000 NHL points and everything we seen Gretzky can do, people are still doubting he would not be as good in this new NHL.

And you assume Lemieux health would be good but Gretzky would still be playing in his old gears and ofcourse playing with outdated tactics. If we play the if game then make it fair, Gretzky also slow down in the begining of the 90s after he got hit by Gary Suter, what if he dont get that injury?

Poppy Whoa Sonnet

J'Accuse!
Sponsor
Jan 24, 2007
Funny thing is, people have always been saying that Gretzky would not be as good coming to this league and that league and he have always proved people wrong. And after seeing him scoring almost 3000 NHL points and everything we seen Gretzky can do, people are still doubting he would not be as good in this new NHL.

And you assume Lemieux health would be good but Gretzky would still be playing in his old gears and ofcourse playing with outdated tactics. If we play the if game then make it fair, Gretzky also slow down in the begining of the 90s after he got hit by Gary Suter, what if he dont get that injury?
I think Gretzky would be the best player in the league, so would Lemieux. Both would dominate, I'm not disparaging Gretzky. I just don't think you should look at point totals to answer this question.

The health thing is kind of distasteful to discuss for this hypothetical but if you assume Lemieux doesn't battle Hodgkin's lymphoma, I think the case for Lemieux is very strong.

Bombshell11

Sponsor
Jul 21, 2022
I think that if you had the top 20 guys from the 06 era to today and had everyone rank their top 5 or even top 10 the 4 guys I mentioned Richard, Bossy, Coffey and Ovi wouldn't do so well compared to the top 4 guys not mentioned and even after that a bit.

Ovi probably would do the best but even then would people start and build a franchise around him over a guy like Potvin, Beliveau or Crosby just to name 3 guys?

Don't look at the names, look at the hockey players, their style, capabilities, skills, character, Ignore their stats.
You're tying to build a dynasty, the NHL doesn't exist. If you had to pick one player who would rather have as your 1st choice?

I disagree for the Rocket, he's probably the guy with the greatest character from them all. Some people might want to take the guy with the best and strongest character to build their dynasty.

Three On Zero

Deranged Oreo Dolphin Parking Instructor
Sponsor
Oct 9, 2012
I’m not gambling on this Gretzsky guy, he’s never played a game in the NHL before. This is an easy Lemieux for me

Ad

Upcoming events

• Gold Coast Suns @ Brisbane Lions
    Gold Coast Suns @ Brisbane Lions
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $36,790.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Cagliari vs Lecce
    Cagliari vs Lecce
    Wagers: 2
    Staked: $25.00