Gretzky: McDavid is the best 19 year old I've ever seen

DearDiary

🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷
Aug 29, 2010
I'm still waiting for Kariya to break all Gretzky's records

Idionym

Apr 6, 2015
Chicago
Can we make this into a 95-96 bulls-esque meme?

"Breaking: Crosby out for 4-6 weeks w/ concussion."

Comment: "But is this the best 4-6 week concussion Wayne Gretzky has ever seen?"

TheBannermen

Aug 2, 2005
Los Angeles, CA
gretz.jpg

Samzilla

Prust & Dorsett are
Apr 2, 2011
Gretzky said Ryan Miller was the best FA signing of the past 15 years, and everyone knows you build from the net out...suck it, Oilers! You can have McDavid, we all know the Canucks are the real winners here.

JackSlater

Apr 27, 2010

The money quote: “I mean Bruce would get three, four, five points a game,†Gretzky said, explaining how the Wild coach became one his favorite players as kid. “He was always on the puck, he was always around the puck. He was the captain of the best team in the country, won the Memorial Cup that year, and you know, he was as good as any junior hockey player I’d ever seen in my life."

Gretzky has said worse.

Kent Nilsson

Imagine cringing at Brock Nelson like a moron
Jan 31, 2016
McDavid has potential to join the other hockey greats such as Ales Hemsky or Alex Kovalev.

JA

http://www.cbc.ca/news/politics/gretzky-harper-1.3234136
Wayne Gretzky endorses Harper despite not being allowed to vote
This will be the 1st federal election in which The Great One can't cast a ballot
CBC News Posted: Sep 18, 2015 2:14 PM ET Last Updated: Sep 23, 2015 10:11 PM ET

Despite being denied the ability to vote, hockey great Wayne Gretzky endorsed Conservative Leader Stephen Harper during an event in Toronto.

"I think you have been an unreal prime minister," Gretzky said, following a brief Q&A with Harper that mostly covered hockey.

Gretzky said that Harper has been "wonderful to the country." The hockey legend wished him success and said that he knew the Conservative leader had the country's best interest at heart.

"It's really amazing … the leadership we have right now. One of the greatest prime ministers ever," Gretzky said.

http://news.nationalpost.com/news/canada/canadian-politics/wayne-gretzky-endorses-stephen-harper-at-rally-youve-been-an-unreal-prime-minister
Wayne Gretzky endorses Stephen Harper at rally: ‘You’ve been an unreal prime minister’
Tom Blackwell | September 18, 2015 10:35 PM ET

“I think you’ve been an unreal prime minister, you’ve been wonderful to all the country,” Gretzky replied, as the audience of party faithful rose in a standing ovation. “I wish you nothing but the most success … and best of luck to the country, the greatest country in the world.”

A few moments later, the NHL god was gone, unavailable to expand on his political preferences.

For Harper, there was only one catch. Gretzky, who hasn’t lived in Canada since 1988, cannot vote for him, thanks to residency rules for offshore citizens the Conservative government fought hard to uphold.

Harper was unapologetic earlier about the law barring Canadians who have lived abroad for more than five years from voting, validated recently by an Ontario judge. It effectively disenfranchised about 1.4 million Canadians, sparking anger among many of them.

“Obviously, we’re going to make sure that we have, I think, fair rules to make sure Canadian elections are decided by Canadian residents,” Harper said during a campaign event in Calgary.

“I’ve never heard Mr. Gretzky challenge that particular notion.”

JA

McDavid has potential to join the other hockey greats such as Ales Hemsky or Alex Kovalev.

http://www.habseyesontheprize.com/2008/03/gretzky-impressed-by-kovalev-and.html
The Great One said that if the Canadiens are in the position they are now, it is in great part due to what Kovalev has brought this season.

"Kovalev is one of the most complete players I've ever seen. He's having an exceptional season and should be considered for the Hart because of the success he's had."
Game Day Oilers at Coyotes
Ireland, Joanne. Edmonton Journal [Edmonton, Alta] 16 Feb 2009: C.4.

Coyotes coach Wayne Gretzky, who knows a thing or two about playing the game, had plenty of complimentary things to say about Ales Hemsky.

"I have great respect for him as a player," Gretzky said on his team's website. "He's one of the elite players in the game. He has tremendous stamina ... he's a gem.

"He takes hits to make plays," he continued. "Guys try to be physical on him, but he just keeps coming back."

Red's Notebook
Fisher, Red. The Gazette [Montreal, Que] 21 Feb 2009: D.3.

How's this for a rave review from someone who knows? Wayne Gretzky says that Edmonton forward Ales Hemsky is one of the NHL's elite forwards. "I wasn't as smooth as he is," Gretzky said. "I think there's a few guys in the league who can pass the puck better than other guys. I think (Pavel) Datsyuk and (Henrik) Zetterberg see the ice as well as anybody in hockey, but Hemsky's in that class." Gretzky added that Hemsky's stamina gives the impression that he can play without getting tired.

Mar 11, 2013
QC
Gretzky says everyone is the best player in the world, who cares. A lot of high end players are actually terrible at evaluating other players.

FDBluth

Jul 2, 2004
Kelowna, BC
Gretzky does praise a lot of players. But he is a huge fan of the game. I think this praise is pretty accurate.

Gretzky actually does not praise a player as the best every week though. I mean over the last decade plus I can recognize the handful of players he praised too much with hyperbole.

I think Gretzky praise has got massively underrated at this point.

Anyway, regardless of Gretzky's comments... I hope McDavid is truly a talent above almost all others. I became a hockey fan in the middle of Gretzky's prime in Edmonton. There really is no one close to Mario or Gretzky. Tons of great players I have seen. But Lindros, Messier, Jagr, Crosby, Ovechkin... none of them approached 99 or 66. I hope McDavid is really that next guy. That he gets 120/130/140 points all the time and just is in another class of player and every game he has a half dozen WOW how is that possible moments.
Gretzky's praise is the most underrated praise I've ever seen.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Finland vs Norway
    Finland vs Norway
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Slovakia vs USA
    Slovakia vs USA
    Wagers: 2
    Staked: $150.00
    Event closes
    • Updated: