Gretzky/McDavid hybrid vs. Lemieux/Crosby hybrid

Who would make the better combination in one player at their peaks?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

JackSlater

Apr 27, 2010
I think that Lemieux has more to gain by acquiring Crosby's tenacity than Gretzky does by acquiring McDavid's speed. Otherwise one hybrid is mostly just Lemieux and the other is mostly just Gretzky, provided we assume that the hybrid gets the best attributes of each player.

Laineux

Aug 1, 2011
I think that if you compare their abilities straigth up in a vacuum, it's closer to just McDavid vs Crosby than Gretzky vs Lemieux.

It's like comparing a figure skater from the 1980s to one from today.

North Cole

♧ Lem
Jan 22, 2017
Not sure either Gretzky or Lemieux are gaining anything they dont already have.

Gretzky gets more speed (he was already fast in his era, maybe he gets better puck handling?). Lemieux gets? It's not like hes getting more durable by fusing with Crosby, they both missed significant time in their career. Crosby certainly isnt a more powerful skater, maybe Lemieux gets a hand-eye upgrade or an upgrade on D? Lemieux gets a lot more if you made a hybrid of him and someone like Jagr.

Seems like it comes down to 99 > 66. Statswise McDavid will likely be closer to Crosby when his career is over. Could end up having more individual success, time will tell.

authentic

Jan 28, 2015
Not sure either Gretzky or Lemieux are gaining anything they dont already have.

Gretzky gets more speed (he was already fast in his era, maybe he gets better puck handling?). Lemieux gets? It's not like hes getting more durable by fusing with Crosby, they both missed significant time in their career. Crosby certainly isnt a more powerful skater, maybe Lemieux gets a hand-eye upgrade or an upgrade on D? Lemieux gets a lot more if you made a hybrid of him and someone like Jagr.

Seems like it comes down to 99 > 66. Statswise McDavid will likely be closer to Crosby when his career is over. Could end up having more individual success, time will tell.

Really? Jagr is more similar to Lemieux than Crosby is. He would get Crosby's tenacity, edgework, hand-eye and deflections downlow, footwork, a bit faster and better defensively. Not sure what he would really gain from Jagr?

Reactions: wintersej

North Cole

♧ Lem
Jan 22, 2017
Really? Jagr is more similar to Lemieux than Crosby is. He would get Crosby's tenacity edgework, hand-eye and deflections downlow, footwork, a bit faster. Not sure what he would really gain from Jagr?

Well jagr was an iron man, and worked a hell of a lot harder than Lemieux. Crosby does too, in that respect. I credited him for his hand-eye. Not sold on the edge work, peak jagr in the DPE was stronger on the puck than Crosby and had to deal with a lot more physical grabbing and stick checking. Lemieux was pretty hard to knock off the puck too, he was an ox.

The speed thing is the same as Gretzky. Neither Gretz or Lemieux were slow compared to their peers. A small upgrade in skating is not that beneficial when they already have tools beyond the other guys. I don't really see any overwhelming additions in your list, maybe it's just me.

authentic

Jan 28, 2015
I think that if you compare their abilities straigth up in a vacuum, it's closer to just McDavid vs Crosby than Gretzky vs Lemieux.

It's like comparing a figure skater from the 1980s to one from today.

I get what you're saying but not quite, especially regarding Lemieux. His size, reach, hands and hockey sense alone were enough for him to dominate offensively from 2001-2003 at 35-37. If he had his speed from his younger years he would be better than Crosby offensively and that's not even getting into the modern day advantages that Crosby has.

authentic

Jan 28, 2015
Well jagr was an iron man, and worked a hell of a lot harder than Lemieux. Crosby does too, in that respect. I credited him for his hand-eye. Not sold on the edge work, peak jagr in the DPE was stronger on the puck than Crosby and had to deal with a lot more physical grabbing and stick checking. Lemieux was pretty hard to knock off the puck too, he was an ox.

The speed thing is the same as Gretzky. Neither Gretz or Lemieux were slow compared to their peers. A small upgrade in skating is not that beneficial when they already have tools beyond the other guys. I don't really see any overwhelming additions in your list, maybe it's just me.

When I said edgework I was referring to his quick turns and stops and starts in tight spaces, his overall agility. Gretzky and Lemieux were both pretty fast actually at their peaks, but they do not compare to Crosby in overall skating ability, very few do.

North Cole

♧ Lem
Jan 22, 2017
When I said edgework I was referring to his quick turns and stops and starts in tight spaces, his overall agility. Gretzky and Lemieux were both pretty fast actually at their peaks, but they do not compare to Crosby in overall skating ability, very few do.

I agree with that, I was interpreting it as strength on the puck. While Crosby has exceptional agility I think McDavid does compare, so it evens out

Filatov2Kovalev2Bonk

Effortless sexy.
Jul 13, 2006
Cumberland
Went with the 66/87 hybrid.
Lemieux gains a little more durability and defensive awareness while not really sacrificing much. Healthy Lemieux was cray-cray, his reach was so long that his stick would be in the other zone before his torso was, just madness.
99 doesn't get a lot out of 97 being stapled on, maybe some extra acceleration.

Sweetpotato

Jan 10, 2014
Edmonton
Went with the 66/87 hybrid.
Lemieux gains a little more durability and defensive awareness while not really sacrificing much. Healthy Lemieux was cray-cray, his reach was so long that his stick would be in the other zone before his torso was, just madness.
99 doesn't get a lot out of 97 being stapled on, maybe some extra acceleration.

Make Gretzky one of if not the fastest player ever with the puck. Ya just a little bit of acceleration...

Reactions: Future GOAT

wintersej

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 26, 2011
North Andover, MA
Crosby is so tenacious and aggressive. Mario with a bit more of that would be interesting. Not sure what Wayne is adding beyond being faster.

North Cole

♧ Lem
Jan 22, 2017
All else equal take the best player. 66 group

Close and I agree with this logic. Make the highest single season scorer all-time, an even faster player... already the Goat with 4-200+ seasons and you add the current best player in the league. You have to pick the BPA, 99 AINEC

Poll isnt even close. Goat is running away with it.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad