Gretzky+Kurri (prime in EDM) vs McDavid+Drai (prime now) - Better duo?

Gretzky+Kurri vs McDavid+Draisaitl

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

Mestaruus

Apr 11, 2011
Some kind of era adjustment is needed. Remember that today the competition is tougher and back in the old days it was easier to score. Also the poll is not only about scoring, but about two way play as well. So who do you pick?

La Bamba

Tier 2 Fan
Aug 23, 2009
C'mon bruh

Gretz/Kurri are like McDrai now but 1.5x better which is insane but true mainly b/c Gretzky. McDrai are both better than Kurri

snipes

How cold? I’m ice cold.
Dec 28, 2015
Gretzky. People also sometimes overlook how elite that Kurri was defensively as well in his Oiler years. He's one of the best two way players of all time and historically underrated.

OilCanada92

May 1, 2009
Edmonton, Alberta
Gretzky. People also sometimes overlook how elite that Kurri was defensively as well in his Oiler years. He's one of the best two way players of all time and historically underrated.
And saying Kurri was a product of Gretzky is incredibly lazy. He was one of the best goal scorers on Earth and the hockey world was lucky to see a guy that skilled also get to play with Gretzky. It's the similar to the hockey gods pairing Oates and Hull together. It was a perfect storm for great production to be elevated to historic.

Reactions: Lambo and Mestaruus

filinski77

Feb 12, 2017
Accidentally voted for McDavid/Drai, can't seem to change it.

Either way, Gretzky being Gretzky tips the scale in that favor. Although Drai and McDavid are essentially a tie as far as how good they are, whereas Gretzky was significantly better than Kurri.

Xspyrit

DJ Dorion
Jun 29, 2008
Montreal, Canada
As a goalie I am heavily considering the difficulty level of scoring against 5'9 goalies that play standing vs 6'5 monsters who have an evolved and refined butterfly technique and insane athlecism level.

Reactions: Mestaruus

EXTRAS

Jul 31, 2012
As a goalie I am heavily considering the difficulty level of scoring against 5'9 goalies that play standing vs 6'5 monsters who have an evolved and refined butterfly technique and insane athlecism level.

Sticks are better, and fitness of skaters is better too. All you can do is compare how players are vs peers.

Reactions: Mbraunm

Xspyrit

DJ Dorion
Jun 29, 2008
Montreal, Canada
Sticks are better, and fitness of skaters is better too. All you can do is compare how players are vs peers.

And that's where the problem lies.

When you were an elite talent, it was much easier to dominate your peers because "the rest" back then was not even close to "the rest" today in terms of athlecism and talent

I have seen a retired Georges Laraque (who was a pure 00's goon in the NHL, didn't make it because of his talent level) skate circles around some very good beer leaguers... There is only about 700 hockey player jobs in the NHL today, everyone is freaking good.

McDavid and Draisaitl dominating against today's goaltending and competition is more impressive to me. I know people have the cognitive dissonance of thinking vintage = better but I disagree.

notDatsyuk

Jul 20, 2018
Gretzky and Kurri, but it's five years too early for this poll.

Also, if we're looking at centers, it should be Gretzky and Messier, which makes it even more lopsided.

Puck Dogg

Puck life
Mar 13, 2006
Gretzky assisted 364 of Kurri's goals and Kurri 196 of Gretzky's.

That's 560 goals where either scored and the other assisted.

Reactions: Mestaruus
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad