Rumor: Gretzky in talks with Caps & three others

blokeyhighlander

June = :cupnana:
Oct 9, 2009
NC
There are some strong candidates rumored to have interviewed with us, so I have a hard time believing Gretz would float to the top with Ted/Dick if he wants to bring that caliber of a GM on board.

At this point, I'm hoping it's just management doing their due diligence and entertaining multiple options... with a sense of urgency.

third man in

Jul 27, 2007
Maryland
If Gretzky has the slightest desire to hire Doug Maclean as our GM, then no way in hell do I want him as team president.

Right I don't want some friggen good ol boys network in the front office. This gm and coach search could turn ok or it could be a disaster. I'm getting a little scared with some of these rumors.

Langway

In den Wolken
Jul 7, 2006
We know now that they have at least interviewed some GM candidates already. If Gretzky as President was going to happen, wouldn't it have happened already?

strungout

Professional Killer
Jul 1, 2002
North Carolina
If Gretzky as President was going to happen, wouldn't it have happened already?
asleepatdesk1.jpg

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
We know now that they have at least interviewed some GM candidates already. If Gretzky as President was going to happen, wouldn't it have happened already?

why?
who's saying it hasn't already happened but just not been announced? I wouldn't be shocked to find the caps hired a gm and coach two weeks ago but have held the announcement for best media coverage

Atlas

Sep 7, 2004
If Gretzky has the slightest desire to hire Doug Maclean as our GM, then no way in hell do I want him as team president.

Agreed in spades. If Ted and Dick Patrick can't bring in a guy better than Doug MacLean then they really need to quit this pitiful charade.

Atlas

Sep 7, 2004

Seems like it. But Ted and DP seem to work in the wrong direction.

They should line up all their resources in the pursuit of Stanley Cups. But they appear to be relying on luck, time and prayer.

Langway

In den Wolken
Jul 7, 2006
why?
who's saying it hasn't already happened but just not been announced? I wouldn't be shocked to find the caps hired a gm and coach two weeks ago but have held the announcement for best media coverage
You act as though all parties even slightly involved would make that a realistic possibility for them to control. I find that highly unlikely. As much as they want a total information blackout it only takes one person.

If they've hired a new President that person would be part of the interview process. Recently Dick Patrick reportedly told Trotz to hang around and give them a shot. Ergo Dick Patrick isn't going anywhere and the GM search is where they're at.

The Gretzky stuff all along has seemed like hot air mainly coming from 99's end.

RandyHolt

Keep truckin'
Nov 3, 2006
Maybe Comcast was paid by Ted to float MacLean's name out there to get the pulse of the fans.

Former Cap.... nice try. Nope. Next.

You change GM's once every 20 years. At least try and get someone employed in that field, right? Does it even need to be said? I guess so.

Langway

In den Wolken
Jul 7, 2006
http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs...-enter-fourth-week-of-general-manager-search/
But sources say Gretzky would want an ownership stake in the organization as well. It’s unknown whether majority owner Ted Leonsis would agree to such an arrangement. Leonsis has 18 ownership partners in Monumental Sports and Entertainment, which owns the Capitals, Wizards, Mystics and Verizon Center.
Hahaha. Take your cashgrab elsewhere, 99. Maybe one of those expansion franchises in the coming years. I can't see anyone else being interested.

CC96

Serious Offender
Nov 6, 2012
Mesa, Arizona
http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs...-enter-fourth-week-of-general-manager-search/

Hahaha. Take your cashgrab elsewhere, 99. Maybe one of those expansion franchises in the coming years. I can't see anyone else being interested.

Bingo. He would probably ending up begging Ted for a $10+ million "personal services contract", (he had one for $8 million in Phoenix) just so he can sit around and turn the entire organization in to the official #99 country club. You guys deserve a lot better than this buffoon.

HunterSThompson

[}=[][][][][]
Jun 19, 2007
Washington, DC
Darren Dreger ‏@DarrenDreger · 3m
Wayne Gretzky's interest in returning to the NHL remain, however, Gretzky says he has not talked to the Capitals about the possibility.#TSN

The misinformation kinda makes this seem more likely.

marcel snapshot

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 15, 2005
What the hell is Elton John doing in the box with Ted and Gretzky - that's like a sign of the apocalypse.

Devil Dancer

Jan 21, 2006
Gretz is at the game tonight in Chicago. Maybe they'll give him an executive job and we can all breathe a little easier.

jsykes

Dec 29, 2009
NoVa
That is vague though because they're specifically speaking of the GM job and she mentioned "manager" more than a few times and was very emphatic about that. Even the caption under the video is very clear:

The Capitals GM search continues and Wayne Gretzky is no longer in consideration according to Comcast SportsNet's Jill Sorenson.

So him coming as a president or other exec doesnt seem to be completely put to rest at this point.

Capsman

Nov 21, 2008
That is vague though because they're specifically speaking of the GM job and she mentioned "manager" more than a few times and was very emphatic about that. Even the caption under the video is very clear:

So him coming as a president or other exec doesnt seem to be completely put to rest at this point.

She also said they don't need anyone to sell the Verizon center, so essentially the Caps brass are putting an emphasis on winning and winning alone. Unless there are those who believe 99 will have any pull whatsoever in the officiating department, he adds nothing.

jsykes

Dec 29, 2009
NoVa
She also said they don't need anyone to sell the Verizon center, so essentially the Caps brass are putting an emphasis on winning and winning alone. Unless there are those who believe 99 will have any pull whatsoever in the officiating department, he adds nothing.

Are you trying to prove a point to me or something? I'm not saying or hoping that he's coming here (as long as its not GM I coudlnt care less one way or the other), I'm just qualifying that report as very specific.

What I am saying, is that with the media, you have to look at exactly what is being said. She was VERY specific about talking about a GM and saying the Caps arent looking for a GM to help fill the seats, but to manage the team.

She wasnt saying anything about any position other than the GM position and she put that to rest.

However, being so specific doesnt mean another option isnt still in play. He could still very likely be announced as a president and she would not have been wrong in her reporting.

She didnt say the Caps arent interested in Gretzky and he's not coming, she said they arent interested in him as a GM and they do not need their GM to fill the seats.

Two very different things.

Langway

In den Wolken
Jul 7, 2006
She didnt say the Caps arent interested in Gretzky and he's not coming, she said they arent interested in him as a GM and they do not need their GM to fill the seats.

Two very different things.
The language in the article changed. It specifically says now that they're not interested in him as Team President.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad