Gretzky and Lemieux against Hasek.

Gretzky and Lemieux on a 2-on-0. What chance does Hasek have of making the save?

• Total voters

hamzarocks

Jul 22, 2012
Pickering, Ontario
On a general 2-0 you have little chance of making a save.

When you have the best player ever and the most talented offensive player ever coming down on you. If you give them 10 2-0s I'm expecting 9 goals

Reactions: Gurglesons

missionAvs

Leader of the WGA
Sponsor
Aug 18, 2009
Florida
Hasek is probably the most talented goalie of all time so I give him a 10-19% chance and even that is pushing it against Gretzky and Lemieux.

explore

I was wrong about Don Granato and TNT
Jun 28, 2011
1-9% , but when they score Hasek gets so pissed off he smashes the goal posts then demands a trade

jetsforever

Dec 14, 2013
I'll say 10-19 because sometimes flukes or luck happens, but I'd probably give almost as good odds to say Huberdeau and Landeskog vs Hasek - 2-on-0s are hard to stop if done right

SotasicA

Aug 25, 2014
A 2-on-0 is not significantly better than a breakaway. I still think the goalie has the edge. Assuming rebounds get picked up by the backcheckers.

The Backcheckers. Sounds like a cool band name. No-one's taken that yet? Crazy.

dire wolf

immaculate vibes
May 9, 2006
Out in LA
Having watched most of Hasek's games for Buffalo, I think he's being under-rated here. Also, in a certain percentage of breakaways, the shooter makes an error (e.g. misses the net, hits the crossbar, doesn't get the shot off, bobbles the puck, or shoots it directly into the goalies chest or pads). In a certain percentage of 2-on-0's, an errant pass will miss the mark or won't be handled cleanly. Hasek would probably be able to get the occasional poke check. And he would also have a certain amount of acrobatic "lucky" saves. In any event, I think he could probably save 50% or more. I could be waaaay off.

I was trying to find actual in-game stats for 2-on-0 situations, but I haven't been able to find it. I would take the league average and then take the mid-way point between whatever that is and 100%. (i.e., if the league average is 40%, then Gretzyky and Lemieux would be roughly 70%. If the league average is 60%, then G&L would be 80%). Just total guesswork really.

Can anyone find actual stats for this (with normal players)?

The Crypto Guy

Jun 26, 2017
A 2-on-0 is not significantly better than a breakaway. I still think the goalie has the edge. Assuming rebounds get picked up by the backcheckers.

Maybe in a beer league with guys who would mess up passing it back and forth, but in the NHL? A 2-0 should absolutely result in a goal, at least MUCH higher % than a 1 player breakaway.

Filthy Dangles

Registered User*
Oct 23, 2014

Depends. If we’re talking a perfect and clear cut 2-on-0 from the blueline in with speed and little back pressure id disagree, the chance to score goes up.

Problem is so many 2-on-0s today are not with speed and the forwards aren’t in line. In 3on3 OT I see lots of guys defer to half assed 2on0 attempts where they are really deep and have to slow down for their partner, they’d be better off taking a breakaway chance.

I assume OP is referring to a perfect 2on0 with speed where the forwards are on the same level in this scenario
What if Hasek just knocks the goal off its moorings?

Back in the day idk what would have happened. Today, it’s a penalty shot. So with today’s rules that would be the smart play.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad