Waived: Gregory Campbell (unconditional - contract terminated)

Status
Not open for further replies.

branch

#GirlBoss #Vibes
Jan 12, 2008
What a joke of an individual. Raised in the lap of luxury - won't ride a bus. Such a brat.

Btown

Oct 1, 2011
He's a millionaire who has earned the right to choose where he plays. If he doesn't play he doesn't het paid. Don't see any issue with this, truth be told I'm surprised alot more older millionaires don't go down when sent. Money isn't everything to everyone....

FissionFire

Dec 22, 2006
Las Vegas, NV
www.redwingscentral.com
He's a millionaire who has earned the right to choose where he plays. If he doesn't play he doesn't het paid. Don't see any issue with this, truth be told I'm surprised alot more older millionaires don't go down when sent. Money isn't everything to everyone....

Not really. He only gets to choose where he plays if he negotiates a NMC which he did not. He signed his contract knowing full well an AHL assignment was very possible and simply refused to live up to the terms of his contract. Don't sign a contract if you have no intention of honoring its terms.

Dellstrom

Pastrnasty
May 1, 2011
Boston
Is he any good?

He was DREADFUL in his last year in Boston. It's been a year and a half since then, I doubt he got any better...

He's was very well-liked by his teammates and he's a gamer, but he doesn't bring anything beyond that. Hate to see him go out this way, he was a much better character than this.

mikeyp24

Jun 28, 2014
To be fair guys he said he doesn't want to take a spot from a kid trying to earn his way into the league the way he did and he is in fact doing that while not getting paid... he.could just be saying that for damage control... but it isn't hurting our big club or minor league team in the least.

punk_o_holic

Mar 1, 2002
N. Vancouver, B.C.
To be fair guys he said he doesn't want to take a spot from a kid trying to earn his way into the league the way he did and he is in fact doing that while not getting paid... he.could just be saying that for damage control... but it isn't hurting our big club or minor league team in the least.
And by not reporting and getting suspended helped out ownership. Didn't need to pay him the $1.7 million that he was owed.

janesy12

Leafs Nation
Aug 27, 2010
Newfoundland
Liked him in Boston...always seemed to be a hard guy for my Leafs to play against and a good PKer.... wouldn't surprise me at all if he finds a team somewhere to take him. Hell I'd rather him than Ben Smith..

BluesTraveler

May 25, 2016
I was happy to see Campbell finally get out of Boston about 2 seasons too late, but I'm even happier to see him screwing ownership.

Xoggz22

Mar 4, 2002
Columbus, Ohio
I was happy to see Campbell finally get out of Boston about 2 seasons too late, but I'm even happier to see him screwing ownership.

The only ownership he's screwing is himself. Just lost a nice paycheck when he didn't report. Granted now he can sign where he wants but this guy is no longer a NHL player.

WhalerTurnedBruin55

Fading out, thanks for the times.
Oct 31, 2008
What a joke of an individual. Raised in the lap of luxury - won't ride a bus. Such a brat.

Meh, only one he hurt was himself. And if he's ok without getting his paycheck, no one else is hurt.

He was suspended without pay. Blue Jackets don't need to pay him. AHLers still have a roster spot. NHLers still have a roster spot. Not a glorious end; but unless another party was out there getting screwed, he's the only one that loses.

paragon

May 5, 2010
Meh, only one he hurt was himself. And if he's ok without getting his paycheck, no one else is hurt.

He was suspended without pay. Blue Jackets don't need to pay him. AHLers still have a roster spot. NHLers still have a roster spot. Not a glorious end; but unless another party was out there getting screwed, he's the only one that loses.
Yeah. Pretty much everyone wins. I think it actually takes a lot of character to walk away from that money.

Lurked4Yearz

Nov 23, 2011
Quebec
Not really. He only gets to choose where he plays if he negotiates a NMC which he did not. He signed his contract knowing full well an AHL assignment was very possible and simply refused to live up to the terms of his contract. Don't sign a contract if you have no intention of honoring its terms.

Except, the rules allow Campbell to take this course of action should he choose. Mutual contract termination allows Campbell and the team to part ways if things don't work out.

Homesick

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 2, 2005
Calgary
A bunch of you sound like jealous babies. He knows his career is done and has made millions so I can't blame him for not wanting to spend the rest of the season living out of super 8's and eating at Denny's. I'm sure Columbus is just devastated that their AHL team won't have a massive salary added to it. Actually they look like the ****** for not settling this earlier

daveleaf

#FIREKEEFE #MIGHTBETIMETOFIRESHANNYTOO
Mar 23, 2010
Canada
When you read stuff like his dad got him a cup or all the entitlement crap your eyes just roll.

The guy made the NHL on his own merit, no team will give you a roster spot just because of who he is, he earned it and played great in Bos's cup runs. If his play had slid it is because of him as well. Just stop the childish remarks.

jacketsinDC

Mar 8, 2011
Seattle

Management-speak.

Breach is always an option in a contract, just like compliance. He risks losing money if he breaches, but as other posters pointed out, money isn't everything to everyone. There is no moral cost to breaching a contract unless you are drinking management's kool-aid.

uncleben

Global Moderator
Dec 4, 2008
Acton, Ontario
When you read stuff like his dad got him a cup or all the entitlement crap your eyes just roll.

The guy made the NHL on his own merit, no team will give you a roster spot just because of who he is, he earned it and played great in Bos's cup runs. If his play had slid it is because of him as well. Just stop the childish remarks.

Well said.

gamer1035

Feb 14, 2012
His dad will now hook him up with an nhl office job that pays 7 figures. He must have a backup plan that pays well, unless hes an idiot.

CanadianHockey

Smith - Alfie
Jul 3, 2009
Petawawa
twitter.com
So many people chirping the guy.

He was a good role player who would rather terminate his contract with the club, who are happy to oblige, than play in the AHL. Why the **** do so many of you care that he doesn't want to play there at his age?

NickLidstrom

Ottawa & Detroit fan
Dec 1, 2013
Umeå
He's been in the league for a while. I understand where he's coming from. If he earns an NHL spot this year, he's earned it. But if he doesn't, why should he take an aspiring NHLers spot just to hang on to pro hockey for another year.

Isn't that what he's doing. Jesus Christ, HFBoards could find a way to rip Mother Theresa.

Well, it's not that hard to find issues with her.

Bob Cole

Tom ******* Brady
Oct 30, 2009
his only value has always been being the son of one of the top NHL executives

good riddance

jw2

Jun 13, 2012
Boston
bye! Rolls over and dies... disgraceful.

Could have gone to the A and encouraged/inspired young guys. Could have been a great mentor. Could have come back as a Dom Moore and stuck around for years as a respected role player...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad