Greetings from a Canucks fan

BurEh

Apr 11, 2015
Hi Dallas fans,

I’m here specifically to look for some suggestions on my plan for an upcoming trip to Dallas to come watch my Canucks take on your team. I live in Vancouver, and I’m planning a trip for my dad’s birthday to watch a road game. A trip of a lifetime for us both. Now, I’m an airline pilot so I’ve been to Dallas many times but never played tourist. I am asking for your opinions on the best hotels near the arena, restaurants and tourist attractions to check out while there. Budget is $2000. We will be there from the Thursday till Sunday.
Any tips would be greatly appreciated!

Reactions: WhoahNow and LT

JesusNPucks

Dec 22, 2009
Amman, Jordan
I haven’t lived in the D/FW area for a while now, so my “two cents” is more broadly-Texas based.
  • Do your best to research and find some good Tex-Mex. Those who live locally may be able to help you out with us.
  • Same with some local BBQ. Be sure to try brisket, as Texas is famous for it.
  • Plenty of good third-wave coffee and craft beer joints around, so help yourself.
  • Perhaps a good view of downtown at Reunion Tower? Never been; only heard about it.
  • Not sure on hotels or attractions. There are a couple of zoos around, but not sure if you're into that. The JFK museum is still popular, I think. Other "standard" museums and art exhibits around. I hear that there's a good music scene downtown as well—e.g. House of Blues, Deep Ellum, etc.
Have fun, and happy birthday to your dad!

Last edited:

LT

XXXX - XXXX - ____ - ____
Jul 23, 2010
Would recommend checking out AT&T Stadium, it's a spectacle on its own. They offer tours but I don't know much about them.

There's a metro line that runs to the AAC, I'd suggest trying to stay near a stop if possible as well. If you have a car, parking will run you around 20-30 bucks for the game.

Downtown Dallas (near AAC) has a lot of fancy hotels and some less uppity places as well. Plenty of options all over for any type you'd want. Do take note of how big the Metroplex is though, it can be an hour+ drive depending on where you go. And the weather can change rapidly, be sure to check the forecast before packing.

Beyond that, kind of depends on what you like, attraction wise.

Troy McClure

Suter will never be scratched
Mar 12, 2002
South of Heaven
Hi Dallas fans,

I’m here specifically to look for some suggestions on my plan for an upcoming trip to Dallas to come watch my Canucks take on your team. I live in Vancouver, and I’m planning a trip for my dad’s birthday to watch a road game. A trip of a lifetime for us both. Now, I’m an airline pilot so I’ve been to Dallas many times but never played tourist. I am asking for your opinions on the best hotels near the arena, restaurants and tourist attractions to check out while there. Budget is $2000. We will be there from the Thursday till Sunday.
Any tips would be greatly appreciated!
As mentioned, make sure to enjoy Tex-Mex and also barbecue.

You'll probably want to rent a car. Our public transportation is awful.

If you want to get the whole cowboy feel of Texas, you might want to think about staying in Fort Worth one night, going to the Stockyards, and seeing if there's any kind of rodeo event at Billy Bob's. Fort Worth also has a pretty neat western art museum.

Not sure about hotels, but trip advisor won't let you down when it comes to recommendations.

As for what to do.... I've lived here much of my life and don't have much of an idea of what to recommend. This is a pretty boring city, but we do have a lot of stupidly big stuff.

We have the Sixth Floor museum dedicated to a presidential assassination. If you like football or crazy big stadiums, you can tour AT&T Stadium, home of Cowboys disappointment. We have a presidential library if you want to see a shrine to the idiot who invaded Iraq. The Perot Museum is good if you like dinosaurs.

I bet you can find a good walking food tour down around the AAC neighborhood. Those kinds of tours are always great introductions to a city.

Reactions: LT

Kcb12345

Jun 6, 2017
Pretty much what everyone else said. Think they covered it pretty well

Klyde Warren Park is always a popular spot to visit downtown as well

I had a lengthy list of things to do for some friends who came into town last year, I'll see if I can find it but it had a bunch of restaurants, Tourist attractions, etc. I might've deleted it unfortunately tho

Last edited:

MBTendy

May 6, 2009
You'll love it. Not trying to be biased, especially because I live in Toronto but it has always been one of my favourite spots in the US. I try to make it down once a year.

For BBQ I'd recommend Pecan Lodge. It's one of the most highly rated spots to visit for Texas BBQ, and I really enjoyed it. My favourite spot up to date. You just maybe shouldn't go at night if you do decide to go check it out. Ferris Wheelers Backyard BBQ is another spot I enjoyed. For Mexican, I haven't really gone anywhere else other than El Fenix which is walking distance from the AAC. Now I don't mind it but I feel like there has to be better, I only go because my buddies love going there prior to games.

I usually gets Airbnb's because hotels are somewhat pricey in the downtown core, but if you don't mind then they have plenty of nice hotels in great spots.

For attractions I definitely recommend seeing the Sixth Floor. I must have spent a good three hours in there and lost track of time.

Hockey Dad

Jan 27, 2016
Texas
For BBQ try Terry Blacks or Pecan Lodge in dallas. If you find your way to Arlington Hurtados is great. For touristy Tex mex go to Joe T Garcia in Ft Worth.

Reactions: MBTendy

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad