Greed vs. The Crosby Example

PeakMcOil

Loyal To The Oil
Jul 25, 2008
In recent years we've seen top players getting less as a total percentage of the cap and the mid range players getting a lot more. Or at least it certainly seems that way to me. So I don't think comparing percentages is a completely valid way of comparing contracts. I'd bet that McDavid gets less a percentage of the cap than Crosby did, but I'm sure we'll find out soon enough.

hockeykicker

Dec 3, 2014
What about Nicklas backstrom? I get he isn't the "superstar" everyone talking about but he took the long term deal at 6.7 mil

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
I agree and McDavid should consider that when signing his deal.

McDavid also has almost as many endorsement deals as Crosby does already to boot. Being in Canada, hockey players simply get more endorsements because they are the LeBron James equivalent north of the border .... not so much for Sid where Gatorade doesn't even run ads with Crosby in them in the US (those only air in Canada and maybe the Pittsburgh area).

Ask Crosby or Malkin if they'd trade any one of their 3 Cup wins for an extra $1-2 million in salary for that year and it's an easy no.

Winning a Cup or multiple Cups is something you will never forget, having $55 million instead of $50 million is something that's not going to really impact your life.

Besides basketball players are doing it ... Durant took less, LeBron has taken less, etc. etc. .... why because they guys want to win, they know their legacy is not complete without championships. There's only so many homes and luxury cars a person can buy before it becomes all the same.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad