Greatest Skaters EVER in the NHL

• Thread starter NativeHockey77*
  • Start date

NativeHockey77*

Here are my top 5. Lets also keep in mind the players in the past too cuz they had heavier and not all the high end skates as we do now but they still did better than alot of players now adays

1.Guy Lafluer
2.Bobby Orr
3.Pavel Bure

Guy Lafluer is the best skater ever in the NHL, he clocked fastest skater too with Pavel Bure just a lil bit behind him. Bobby Orr we all know how good he is and Pavel Bure was just exciting to watch, he is THE most electrifying player to ever play the game. Whos your picks for the top 3 skaters ever?

The Best modern day skater is Marion Gaborik :)

shuriken

Apr 20, 2006
Are we talking about acceleration? Top-speed? Do good stuff at the same time as maintaining a high speed? Good on the turns? There are a lot of factors we have to clear out first, then vote for the premium one. Right?

NativeHockey77*

Bobby Hull was the fastest ever. clocked at over 29MPH.

actually Guy Lafuer has the highest clocked NHL skating speed, Bure came 2nd. they both came within decimals of eachother in 30 mph but Lafluer was a bit faster

Form and Substance

Jun 11, 2004
Games speed I say Bure was faster. He never really gives it his all in those speed competitions. Bob bourne and Jason Chimera too are hella fast. And I totally agree with the poster who says that speed and greatness are two completely different things.

NativeHockey77*

does anyone remember Pavel Bure at the Nagano Olympics for Russia? the way he was playing he should of also competed for speed skating! lol jk but yeh his breakaway spead in that tournement was outstanding (im talking about the game where he scored 5 goals at the Nagano Olympics)

Wetcoaster

Gene Carr.

According to many observers the fastest NHL skater may well have been Gene Carr (son of Leafs great Red Carr). A number of pundits have chosen him over such flyers as Cournoyer and Orr. I saw Gene play a number of times over the years and I would have to agree.

Gene was drafted 4th overall by the Blues in 1971. He was injured badly in a car accident after his second year after a trade to the Rangers and was never the same again sustaining severe head and back injuries when the cab he was in was hit in NYC.

Another incredibly fast skater was Willie O'Ree - the first black NHL'er. I saw him play in the old Western Hockey League (after his NHL career) with the Los Angeles Blades and San Diego Gulls. He could just flat out fly.

John Flyers Fan

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
There is a difference between greatest skater and fastest skater.

The four best skaters I've ever seen in no particular order: Slava Fetisov, Sergei Fedorov, Paul Coffey and Scott Neidermayer.

XploD

Jun 2, 2006
Stockholm, Sweden
There is a difference between greatest skater and fastest skater.
Can't agree with you. Skating in this sense is about going fast. The difference lies more in what you call fast (e.g. with the puck, in game speed, fastest lap, top speed, acceleration). I don't think the term "greatest skater" has anything to do with how elegant and effortless you make it look.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad