Greatest Senators #2

Zorf

Apparently I'm entitled?
Jan 4, 2008
By no means the greatest, but should Chris Neil be on the list? I'd have him above some guys on there like Rhodes, maybe Dackell, maybe Michalek...aaaand that's about it.

saskriders

Can't Hold Leads
Sep 11, 2010
Calgary
By no means the greatest, but should Chris Neil be on the list? I'd have him above some guys on there like Rhodes, maybe Dackell, maybe Michalek...aaaand that's about it.

I think he was on the list last time and I just missed him.

Filatov2Kovalev2Bonk

Effortless sexy.
Jul 13, 2006
Cumberland
So do votes for Karlsson still mean we haven't been fans for more than a decade

Karlsson is the greatest now. As an individual talent, he's the one. He's done as much for this franchise as Alfredsson did in his tenure. The cup finals was a team thing, and even if you concede that, Karlsson has more individual honours to shore that up. If not now, then on retiring he will be the greatest Senators ever.

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
Karlsson is the greatest now. As an individual talent, he's the one. He's done as much for this franchise as Alfredsson did in his tenure. The cup finals was a team thing, and even if you concede that, Karlsson has more individual honours to shore that up. If not now, then on retiring he will be the greatest Senators ever.

Agreed. Karlsson is the best hockey player ever on the Sens... I am only commenting on the hockey part... Franchise and overall career stuff is something else. Who is the better player ... Karlsson

Alfredsson I get is a long time fave but he is not a better player than Karlsson and in my opinion that is not particularly close. BTW I have had the blessing of watching both players through their careers to date.

my comment resulted from comments in the #1 thread

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004

Neil played 1,000 games with the Sens & I would have him ahead of a few players on there. For example Dominik Haesk was a great NHL player but only played one yr in Ottawa & didn't play a game after the Olympics. It was Emery that got Ottawa to the Cup finals in net & I would hav Emery & Neil ahead of him. Afterall, the title is greatest Senators not greatest NHL players.

DrEasy

Out rumptackling
Oct 3, 2010
Stützville
It seems we all have different definitions of "greatest". To me it's a combination of talent and longevity (as a Senator), with I guess a bit of "untangibles" thrown in, since our management seems to value it so much :D. That's why a guy like Hasek won't even be on my radar, while Neil or even Phillips (who I've never been a fan of) will rank high.

For now I have Alfie first and Karlsson second, but in a year or two Karlsson should be able to surpass Alfie. I want to see another deep playoff run with him.

The vote for #3 should be interesting.... I haven't made up my mind yet...

Neil Patrick Harris

Now sponsored by Zoom™
Aug 23, 2008
Ottawa
Karlsson could easily be for the young and coming generation of Sens fans what Alfredsson was for our generation. The sky is the limit at this point. He's already the face of this franchise, and should become one a central figure of the Senators legacy in decades to come.

PierresGabriels

Jan 13, 2010
Orleans
#2 is now a foregone conclusion.

I hope #3 stays on the board for a while. It will be interesting. The next few picks will be tight. Great idea.

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
It seems we all have different definitions of "greatest". To me it's a combination of talent and longevity (as a Senator), with I guess a bit of "untangibles" thrown in, since our management seems to value it so much :D. That's why a guy like Hasek won't even be on my radar, while Neil or even Phillips (who I've never been a fan of) will rank high.

For now I have Alfie first and Karlsson second, but in a year or two Karlsson should be able to surpass Alfie. I want to see another deep playoff run with him.

The vote for #3 should be interesting.... I haven't made up my mind yet...

So #2 is Spezza for his combination of talent and longevity (as a Senator)... or Karlsson because Karlsson is a better player?

DrEasy

Out rumptackling
Oct 3, 2010
Stützville
So #2 is Spezza for his combination of talent and longevity (as a Senator)... or Karlsson because Karlsson is a better player?
Karlsson being a better player than Spezza more than makes up for the number of games played as a Senator.

In my next tier I have Spezza, Neil, Phillips and Redden.

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
Karlsson being a better player than Spezza more than makes up for the number of games played as a Senator.

In my next tier I have Spezza, Neil, Phillips and Redden.

I see :) its a complex formula. Is there any more to it?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad