Greatest Playoff Comebacks...Share Em!

Status
Not open for further replies.

KOVALEV10*

Well this isnt playoffs but it still was an incredible comeback. That canada cup 1987 game 2 or 3 against soviets.. Canada was trailing 3-0 and then came back to win 6-5 or 5-4 in overtime with that Lemieux goal assisted from Gretzky in overtime.

KOVALEV10*

Habsfan 32 said:
That was hell of a game.

Yeah I would've gone with that too but Calgary still lost the game in ot.

Probably the greatest comeback has got to be LA vs Edmonton in 82. Man those kings were something else. The last goal to tie it up resulted due to Gretzky getting stripped of the puck and we're talking about Wayne in his prime here! And the commentators were great to listen when LA finally won the game in ot. Incredible!

roast

Mar 3, 2004
Pittsburgh
Pittsburgh v. Chicago, game 1 1992 SCF. Pittsburgh was down like 4-1 or 4-2, and I believe Lemieux scores with about 14 sec left to win 5-4. He also banked a goal in off of Belfour's leg (from behind the net).

tom_servo

Sep 27, 2002
Pittsburgh
roast said:
Pittsburgh v. Chicago, game 1 1992 SCF. Pittsburgh was down like 4-1 or 4-2, and I believe Lemieux scores with about 14 sec left to win 5-4. He also banked a goal in off of Belfour's leg (from behind the net).

Jagr tied the game at four with that crazy dipsy-doodle goal everyone's probably seen. And Lemieux indeed won the game with seconds left.

LuckyLUC20

Aug 16, 2003
Somewhere in So-Cal
www.facebook.com
Kings-Redwings, 2001

Game 4, First round.. down 3-0 to the Wings with over 6 minutes left, the Kings rallied to tie the game and send it into overtime. Eric Belanger scores the game winner for the Kings as they win 4-3. They tied up the series and went on to win the next two to eliminate Detroit.

CantHaveTkachev

Legends
Nov 30, 2004
St. OILbert, AB
'97 playoffs and the Oilers are down 3-0 with 4 minutes to go in the game

they scrape together 3 straight to force O.T and Bucky wins it in o.t

Rexall was going nuts

Hackett

BAKAMAN
Mar 4, 2002
Visit site
the miracle on manchester was obvously the greatest comeback even though I wasn't old enough to actually experience it.

But my favorite comeback was in game 2 of the 1993 finals beteen the habs and kings.

Habs were down 2-0 late in the 3rd and were on the brink of going on the road down 2-0 in the series... Hrudey looked unbeatbale to add fuel to the fire.... then the McSorley stick incident happened and Desjardins won the game in OT with his hat trick goal... and I still believe that Desjardins is the only d-man to get a hat trick in the finals.

I was 10 years old at the time but I had goosebumps all over my body.

amazing game and I'd love for TSN to show that classic game.

Amen evil king

Apr 11, 2004
KOVALEV10 said:
Well this isnt playoffs but it still was an incredible comeback. That canada cup 1987 game 2 or 3 against soviets.. Canada was trailing 3-0 and then came back to win 6-5 or 5-4 in overtime with that Lemieux goal assisted from Gretzky in overtime.

The goal wasn't in OT, it was with just over a minute left in regulation.

Riggins

Jul 12, 2002
Vancouver, BC
Not playoffs... but wasn't there a game between St. Louis and Toronto where the Blues came back from down 5-0 in the 3rd and won in OT?

bland

Jul 1, 2004
Hackett said:
the miracle on manchester was obvously the greatest comeback even though I wasn't old enough to actually experience it.

But my favorite comeback was in game 2 of the 1993 finals beteen the habs and kings.

Habs were down 2-0 late in the 3rd and were on the brink of going on the road down 2-0 in the series... Hrudey looked unbeatbale to add fuel to the fire.... then the McSorley stick incident happened and Desjardins won the game in OT with his hat trick goal... and I still believe that Desjardins is the only d-man to get a hat trick in the finals.

I blame McSorley's stick for 12 years of futility. :cry:

thestonedkoala

Going Dark
Aug 27, 2004
Anyone of Minnesota's victories over Colorado and Vancouver...

Brunette basically walking into the offensive zone and trickling a goal past Roy...WOW

MeatTornado

I was born ready
Oct 25, 2004
Vancouver
jtuzzi21 said:
Calgary vs. Canucks game 6.. Canucks up 4-0, Calgary storms back. What a game.
I would have said that if Calgary hadn't lost in OT. My vote goes to the Kings - Wings series in 01... can't believe that has only been mentioned once so far.

MiamiScreamingEagles

Global Moderator
Jan 17, 2004
Going back a way, the 1977 Flyers-Leafs series. Toronto won Games 1 and 2 in Philadelphia, then lost the next four including in overtime at home in Game 3. In Game 4, the Leafs led 5-2 with about 7 minutes left and were on the PP. Leafs also led by 2 with less than 2 minutes to play. Flyers tied it and eventually won in OT.

The 1987 Edmonton-Philadelphia Finals was a terrific series for many reasons.
Edmonton won the first two games and led 3-0 in Game 3 before the Flyers scored the next 5 goals and won 5-3. In Game 5, Edmonton was up 2-0 and ready to clinch the Cup but Philadelphia won 4-3. In Game 6, similar scene: Oilers up 2-0 but the Flyers rallied for a 3-2 win.

Game 7 of the Flyers-Caps 1988 Series. The Flyers led 3-0 in the second period then the Caps scored the next four before Philadelphia tied it up at 4. Washington won in OT :(

KOVALEV10*

What about Toronto/Habs 1979 game 4... habs leading 4-0 and the series 3-0 going into the third period and the leafs somehow tied it up although Robinson would eventually score in overtime to win the game. Not my personal favorite but it sure deserves a mention as back then it was so hard to come back from a 4 goal deficit in a playoff game against Montreal for numerous reasons.

CRUNK JUICE

Nov 19, 2002
Austin, TX
webspace.utexas.edu
In 2001, the Hurricanes and the Habs in game 4 ECSF and the Canes were down by 3 or 4 goals and losing the game would've meant going down 3-1 in the series. Anyway, I think Jeff O'Neill got one, then another Cane and then Eric Cole tied it with seconds left and the Canes went on to win in OT and didn't lose another game to Montreal (and denied all of Canada a Habs/Leafs ECF).

stv11

Jul 29, 2004
Switzerland
Hackett said:

IIRC, Montréal scored first in that game and was only down by one when the stick incident happened

red devil

Oct 14, 2004
1971 Habs-Bruins

The Bruins were leading the series 1-0, and Tom Johnson (Bostons's coach) had promised Eddie Johnston he would get the start in game 2 over Boston's number 1 goalie, Gerry Cheevers. Boston took a 5-2 lead going into the third, but Montreal scored 5 goals in the third to tie the series at 1-1.

For more detailed version Red Fisher wrote an article on the comeback:
http://www.canada.com/montreal/mont....html?id=79acebd9-441f-4a3f-b1c4-a1bbcd1ec480

Last edited:

hossy316

Oct 25, 2003
Kensington, PEI
Visit site
e-townchamps said:
'97 playoffs and the Oilers are down 3-0 with 4 minutes to go in the game

they scrape together 3 straight to force O.T and Bucky wins it in o.t

Rexall was going nuts

That was a great last 4 minutes. They played like crap the whole game b4 that, but picked it up to score 3 in the final 4 minutes. That was a crazy comeback. How a team can play so bad for 56 minutes and then just turn it up to force OT and win it is beyond me.

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
DoobieDoobieDo said:
Anyone of Minnesota's victories over Colorado and Vancouver...

Brunette basically walking into the offensive zone and trickling a goal past Roy...WOW

anyone have video of this?

Mothra

The Groovy Guru
Jul 16, 2002
Parts Unknown
Visit site
87-88 Patrick Division, first round, Capitals-vs-Flyers

After blowing a very late 2 goal lead in Game 4 that would have tied the series. The Capitals are down 3-1 in the series. They then win the next 2 easily to force Game 7....but get down 3-0 in that game.....they come back in that game...and end up winning in OT thanks to Dale Hunter and Hextalls 5 hole

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad