Greatest Playmakers Of All-Time: #11

Who is the 11th-greatest playmaker of all-time?

• Ray Bourque

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Jean Beliveau

• Guy Lafleur

• Gilbert Perreault

• Phil Esposito

• Andy Bathgate

• Martin St. Louis

• Ryan Getzlaf

• Dale Hawerchuk

• Other

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

DitchMarner

It's time.
Jul 21, 2017
Brampton, ON
Who is the 11th-greatest playmaker of all-time?

Apply your own criteria.

#1. Wayne Gretzky
#2. Mario Lemieux
#3. Bobby Orr
#4. Adam Oates
#5. Joe Thornton
#6. Sidney Crosby
#7. Peter Forsberg
#8. Gordie Howe
#9. Jaromir Jagr
#10. Ron Francis

wetcoast

Nov 20, 2018
Sorry but Francis shouldn't be 10th all time, just no.

Took Mikita but really arguments could be made for many guys here.

cneely

Jan 6, 2005
Hawerchuk had like 30 fewer assists then Mikita in 200 fewer games and put up 77 in a season twice.

he’s underrated because Winnipeg, but Ducky should be right up there and is as good or better then 3/4 of that list.

amnesiac

Space Oddity
Jul 10, 2010
Montreal
Hawerchuk had like 30 fewer assists then Mikita in 200 fewer games and put up 77 in a season twice.

he’s underrated because Winnipeg, but Ducky should be right up there and is as good or better then 3/4 of that list.
that a joke? you understand he played his whole career in the highest scoring era ever, never lead the league in assists, or was even that close. In his BEST season (80 assists) he was 6TH.

Dude, learn how to compare stats. Has nothing to do with "Winnipeg" and everything to do with that fact that he actually wasnt as good as you think.

cneely

Jan 6, 2005
that a joke? you understand he played his whole career in the highest scoring era ever, never lead the league in assists, or was even that close.

Dude, learn how to compare stats. Has nothing to do with "Winnipeg" and everything to do with that fact that he actually wasnt as good as you think.
lol.
He never led the league in assists because he played at the same time as this Gretzky guy.

I’m not even saying he’s top 15, but having guys like Coffey and Sedin ahead of him is a joke.

Hawerchuk never played with a legit top line winger and turned guys like Brian Mullen and Paul Maclean into scorers.

amnesiac

Space Oddity
Jul 10, 2010
Montreal
lol.
He never led the league in assists because he played at the same time as this Gretzky guy.

I’m not even saying he’s top 15, but having guys like Coffey and Sedin ahead of him is a joke.
oh really? so if its only because of Gretzky.... tell me, how many times did he finish 2nd or 3rd?

In his BEST season (80 assists) he was 6TH. Just an FYI.

cneely

Jan 6, 2005
oh really? so if its only because of Gretzky.... tell me, how many times did he finish 2nd or 3rd?

And who did he have the opportunity to play with?

cneely

Jan 6, 2005

He finished higher then 6th FYI.

amnesiac

Space Oddity
Jul 10, 2010
Montreal
And who did he have the opportunity to play with?
Not much, and it doesnt matter.... still isnt better than Coffey and Sedin. At all.

His best finish was 4th twice, and then 6th. Compare that to everyone on the list, and hes probably last in that regard.

cneely

Jan 6, 2005
Not much, and it doesnt matter.... still isnt better than Coffey and Sedin. At all.

His best finish was 4th twice, and then 6th. Compare that to everyone on the list, and hes probably last in that regard.

Coffey was a phenomenal player. He got to play with Gretzky, Kurri, Messier, etc.

As mentioned, Hawerchuk played with Mullen, McLean, Boschman. Not comparable at all.

amnesiac

Space Oddity
Jul 10, 2010
Montreal
Coffey was a phenomenal player. He got to play with Gretzky, Kurri, Messier, etc.

As mentioned, Hawerchuk played with Mullen, McLean, Boschman. Not comparable at all.

Ok thats your opinion, but no ones else's. Hes not way down the list, but hes more comparable to Denis Savard than Sedin or Coffey.

cneely

Jan 6, 2005
Ok thats your opinion, but no ones else's. Hes not way down the list, but hes more comparable to Denis Savard than Sedin or Coffey.
In 82-83, the Oilers scored 106 more goals then the Jets. Hawerchuk is criminally underrated because of the market he played in, and the shit team he played on. He was the Jets for 10 years.

cneely

Jan 6, 2005

He was 4th behind Lemieux, Gretzky and Dionne. Not bad company.

amnesiac

Space Oddity
Jul 10, 2010
Montreal
He was 4th behind Lemieux, Gretzky and Dionne. Not bad company.
and behind Messier in A/GP.... whatever the case, doesnt make him better than 3/4 of the list as you claim. Sedin lead the league 3 times in assists! And no its not because of his brother, its because he was a great playmaker.

Hawerchuk is in and around guys like Savard and Stastny. Hell, Bernie Federko has a better A/GP and didnt play with better players, why not mention him?

Last edited:

cneely

Jan 6, 2005
and behind Messier in A/GP.... whatever the case, doesnt make him better than 3/4 of the list as you claim. Sedin lead the league 3 times in assists! And no its not because of his brother, its because he was a great playmaker.

Hawerchuk is in and around guys like Savard and Stastny. Hell, Bernie Federko has a better A/GP and didnt play with better players, why not mention him?
Federko played on some crap teams too. Another underrated guy no doubt.

RSPens

May 25, 2015
Sorry but Francis shouldn't be 10th all time, just no.

Took Mikita but really arguments could be made for many guys here.
Ronnie Franchise is #2 all time for assists, yet you don't think he should be one of the top 10 playmakers? I'd be interested to see your criteria for this topic.

psycat

Oct 25, 2016
Bobby Orr 3rd, Coffey not in top 10(and behind someone like Francis) despite being about as good of a playmaker and having a complete career. And someone in this very thread want's to put Hawechuk out of all players above Coffey as a playmaker? HFBoards at it's finest.

cneely

Jan 6, 2005
Bobby Orr 3rd, Coffey not in top 10(and behind someone like Francis) despite being about as good of a playmaker and having a complete career. And someone in this very thread want's to put Hawechuk out of all players above Coffey as a playmaker? HFBoards at it's finest.

Coffey was a great player, but he did benefit from being able to feed the puck to Gretzky, Messier, Kurri, Anderson et al for most of his career. He played the same era as Hawerchuk and averaged .8 assists per game to Ducky's 0.75. Hawerchuk didn't have the benefit of those great players around him.

And how the hell is Bobby Orr being 3rd a question, lol.

Last edited:

psycat

Oct 25, 2016
Coffey was a great player, but he did benefit from being able to feed the puck to Gretzky, Messier, Kurri, Anderson et al for most of his career. He played the same era as Hawerchuk and averaged .8 assists per game to Ducky's 0.75. Hawerchuk didn't have the benefit of those great players around him.

And how the hell is Bobby Orr being 3rd a question, lol.

It just makes zero sense, you forgot to mention the fact that Coffey was a defenceman while Hawerchuk played as a forward(how many defencemen do you find that average anywhere close to that?). Orr also beat up on expansion teams and played with great players on a winning team, sure Coffey playing with Gretzky is obviously an advantage in the cases of Messier, Kurri etc id argue he is the one who made them shine moreso than the opposite.

Lemieux played with Jagr, Coffey, Francis etc and I don't see anybody punishing him for it.
Watch someone like Erik Karlsson he didn't exactly improve his assist totals when he got, arguably, better players around him.

I am not really questioning Orr being 3rd I am questioning Coffey not being right there with him(honestly they are pretty much equal playmaking wise) and I am certainly questioning Hawerchuk even being mentioned in the same breathe as either. Hawerchuk vs aformentioned Karlsson, playmaking wise, might be a realistic starting point in my mind.

(Someone like Francis above Coffey is borderline offensive to begin with, Oates+Forsberg are way to high aswell but that's par of the course.)

Last edited:

cneely

Jan 6, 2005
Who would you rather play with?

jagr, Francis, Coffey
Gretzky, messier, kurri
Brian Mullen, Paul Maclean, Laurie Boschman.

wetcoast

Nov 20, 2018
Ronnie Franchise is #2 all time for assists, yet you don't think he should be one of the top 10 playmakers? I'd be interested to see your criteria for this topic.

Look the whole greatest playmakers of all time is an extrmely diffcult task to sperate the player ron Froancis form the playmaker ron Francis.

Franic was one of my favorite guys from the 80s but I jsut don;t think that he is the 10th greates "playmaker" of all time.

he is second in assists primarily for # reasons.

1. His career started in the early 80's a very hgih scoring period of NHL history

2. He got to play with Jagr on the Pens (these 2 times he led the NHL in assists was then).

#. He played for a very long time.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad