Greatest Players With 6+ Teams?

WingsFan95

Mar 22, 2008
Kanata
The likes of Gretzky, Jagr and Brett Hull played for more than a couple of teams.

The likes of Yzermand and Lemieux only played for one team.

But there's no shortage of some good players who played for several teams.

Gilmour played for 7.
Coffey played for 8.

Who are others? And for fun, aside from Mike Sillinger being the greatest 12 team man, how would you rank great players by number of teams played?

ES

Feb 14, 2004
Finland
Phil Housley played also in 8 teams. Interestingly in 8-or-more-teams-club, top 2 scorers are defensemen. Bill Guerin is ranked 3rd I believe.

JSmith81x

Your weapon is guilt
Dec 20, 2002
Visit site
Mathieu Schneider: 10 teams (5 teams in his last 3 years)
Sean Burke: 8 teams (unless you want to count HFD and CAR separate)

Big Phil

Nov 2, 2003
I don't think anyone but Coffey would top the list as the best player with 6+ teams for instance. I don't think it's really close either.

WingsFan95

Mar 22, 2008
Kanata
In terms of maintaining at least an above average performance with six teams it would be Larry Murphy.

Another defense-man.:laugh:

Looking at the list I find many great players at 5 teams, Pronger could make it 6 before he hands em up. Belfour and Beezer ended up in 5.

Tom Barrasso however did play on 6. The short stops would be Leafs, Blues and Sens.

Ziggy Stardust

Master Debater
Jul 25, 2002
Parts Unknown
Rick Tocchet, who played with Philadelphia (twice), Pittsburgh, Los Angeles, Boston, Washington, and Phoenix.

Wendel Clark, played with Toronto (three times), Quebec, NYI, Tampa Bay, Detroit, and Chicago.

Dave Andreychuk, with Buffalo (twice), Toronto, New Jersey, Boston, Colorado, and Tampa Bay.

Jari Kurri came close with five teams, having played with Edmonton, Los Angeles, NY Rangers, Colorado, and Anaheim. If you consider the fact that Edmonton dealt Kurri's rights to Philadelphia before Philadelphia traded him to Los Angeles, that would be six teams.

Last edited:

Philadelphia Ducks

Win it for Ed
May 8, 2011
Ontario, Canada
I can't name any that haven't been named already but Pronger is getting close, he's on his fifth team now and I wouldn't be surprised if Philly dumps him in the last year or two of his current contract.

Hardyvan123

tweet@HardyintheWack
Jul 4, 2010
Vancouver
In terms of maintaining at least an above average performance with six teams it would be Larry Murphy.

Agree here and the 1st thing I thought, didn't Vinny Damphousse
lead a different team in scoring in 3 consecutive seasons or something crazy like that?

Just checked and he did which is really wild.

Almost as weird in a trivial sense like Hossa's switching teams to win that elusive Stanley Cup (and almost being on the finals losing side 3 times in a row).

Dutch77

Predictable..
Jun 24, 2008
Larry Murphy comes to mind. He was contributing everywhere he was, despite the flack leaf fans gave him during his stay.

Hawksfan2828

Mar 1, 2007
Libertyville, IL
Grant Fuhr hasn't been mentioned yet..

Sawchuk played for 5 but was traded back to Detroit several times..

Plante is another one, he played for 5 NHL teams, 6 if you want to include Edmonton (WHA)..

Wendel Clark played for 6 teams.

Ziggy Stardust

Master Debater
Jul 25, 2002
Parts Unknown
Surprised Adam Oates hasn't been mentioned. He's been with the Wings, Blues, Bruins, Capitals, Flyers, Ducks, Oilers. Hard to believe that a player as productive and successful as Oates be moved around as often as he was.

Ziggy Stardust

Master Debater
Jul 25, 2002
Parts Unknown
Owen Nolan with six teams: Quebec/Colorado, San Jose, Toronto, Calgary, Phoenix, Minnesota

Esa Tikkanen with seven teams: Edmonton, New York R. (three times), St. Louis, New Jersey, Vancouver, Florida, Washington

Gary Roberts with six teams: Calgary, Carolina, Toronto, Pittsburgh, Florida, Tampa Bay

Also wanted to toss in Mike Keane's name since he won three Stanley Cups with three different teams. He played with six different teams: Montreal (Stanley Cup), Colorado (Stanley Cup, had two stints with them as well), New York R., Dallas (Stanley Cup), St. Louis, and Vancouver.

Jtown

Oct 6, 2010
Fairfax, Virginia
Rick Tocchet, who played with Philadelphia (twice), Pittsburgh, Los Angeles, Boston, Washington, and Phoenix.

Wendel Clark, played with Toronto (three times), Quebec, NYI, Tampa Bay, Detroit, and Chicago.

Dave Andreychuk, with Buffalo (twice), Toronto, New Jersey, Boston, Colorado, and Tampa Bay.

Jari Kurri came close with five teams, having played with Edmonton, Los Angeles, NY Rangers, Colorado, and Anaheim. If you consider the fact that Edmonton dealt Kurri's rights to Philadelphia before Philadelphia traded him to Los Angeles, that would be six teams.

why did the flyers do this? was it a prearragned deal that he would go to LA or what?

begbeee

Oct 16, 2009
Slovakia
Hossa is close: Senators, Thrashers, Penguins, Red Wings, Blackhawks...and counting :laugh:
I can see him traded in a rent-a-vet trade at the very end of his career. Then he can be lined up right below Gilmour.

Lead Role in a Cage

Mar 27, 2008
Brendan Shanahan, Pierre Turgeon, Jeremy Roenick, Claude Lemieux (the Sharks stint last year or so ago included), Owen Nolan and Bernie Nicholls all played for six different clubs. Obviously not in the Coffey stratosphere, or even "great", but solid players nonetheless.

WingsFan95

Mar 22, 2008
Kanata
Shanahan was outstanding.

As Coffey is my favorite player I wouldn't be up in arms if some said Shanny was greater.

I know Coffey wasn't that great a d-man, for a d-man.:laugh:

But Shanahan only played for five. Devils (twice), Blues, Rangers, Wings and Whale.

Last edited:

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
Mark Recchi is probably the greatest compiler of all time to play for a buttload of teams:

Pittsburgh
Philadelphia
Montreal
Philadelphia x 2
Pittsburgh x 2
Carolina
Pittsburgh x 3
Atlanta
Tampa Bay
Boston

10 separate stints spread around 7 teams.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad