Greatest Montreal Canadiens Player Of All-Time? #2

Status
Not open for further replies.

BenchBrawl

Jul 26, 2010
Poll will close in 2 days.I expect Béliveau to win easily.

Béliveau and Harvey are the 5th and 6th (in whatever order) greatest players of all-time for me (behind Gretzky, Lemieux, Howe and Orr), but Harvey won a Norris outside Montreal.For that reason, I vote for Béliveau as a strictly Montreal player.

BenchBrawl

Jul 26, 2010
I added Ken Dryden, Larry Robinson, Henri Richard, Newsy Lalonde and Bernard Geoffrion to the options.

More will be added as we take out some players.

MXD

Original #4
Oct 27, 2005
Harvey, 'till he's in.

The new "added" group is probably perfect as well (I can't think of a better Hab on top of my head).

BenchBrawl

Jul 26, 2010
Harvey, 'till he's in.

The new "added" group is probably perfect as well (I can't think of a better Hab on top of my head).

The only thing I could see is maybe Vézina above Geoffrion, but that's a big maybe.

Toene

Y'en aura pas de facile
Nov 17, 2014
Hainsworth, Cournoyer, S. Savard, Gainey are all greater than Geoffrion imo

Matteus

May 11, 2009
Béliveau.
It's a shame Gilbert Perreault never played for the Habs.
He'd be up there in the conversation with Lafleur and Harvey as a very close second as far as I'm concerned.
Let's bear in mind the draft rules changed just as Perreault became eligible.

MXD

Original #4
Oct 27, 2005
Hainsworth, Cournoyer, S. Savard, Gainey are all greater than Geoffrion imo

There's probably 10 guys between Geoffrion and the best of that group (which would be Serge Savard), but whatever...

Cole Caulifield

Apr 22, 2004
For me it's all about the Conn Smythe ! Was a player ever as much of a playoffs difference maker as Roy ? In his career 3 CS, two with the habs, including one as a rookie ! Record of all time. But I was tempted to vote Béliveau.

EDIT:

Upon further fact checking.. it seems the Conn Smythe wasn't awarded until 64-65. Béliveau would have likely won at least one if not two more if it had been awarded earlier.

So I should have voted Béliveau.

MXD

Original #4
Oct 27, 2005
For me it's all about the Conn Smythe ! Was a player ever as much of a playoffs difference maker as Roy ? In his career 3 CS, two with the habs, including one as a rookie ! Record of all time. But I was tempted to vote Béliveau.

EDIT:

Upon further fact checking.. it seems the Conn Smythe wasn't awarded until 64-65. Béliveau would have likely won at least one if not two more if it had been awarded earlier.

So I should have voted Béliveau.

That's the thing with Geoffrion.
Look at this playoffs numbers for the fifties. Then look at Richard's, Beliveau, Moore...

Geoffrion's lead over the league in playoffs scoring during that timeframe is QUITE considerable. Yet I'm not sure he'd have ended up with more than a Connie Smythe.

Mr. Hab

Nov 17, 2004
Montreal
The best of the best (all of them below are/were major playoff winners/performers):

80s...Roy, Chelios,

90s...Roy

2000-2016...McDonagh, PK Subban

HM:
Desjardins, LeClair, Koivu

HM II (short-term):
Muller, Kovalev, Souray

Last edited:

BenchBrawl

Jul 26, 2010
No point in continuing this poll.Mods please close this I'll start the next thread.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad