Greatest moments in Red Wings history

Lazlo Hollyfeld

The jersey ad still sucks
Mar 4, 2004
Yzerman 1996 game 7 double OT goal as called by Mike Haynes

Honestly I don't understand why this is as popular as it is. It was an exciting moment for sure but the Wings lost in the Conference Finals the next round ending with Lemieux's cheapshot on Draper.

For me nothing beats the Cup win in 1997. It felt like the Wings were just never gonna get there and Stevie would retire without a Cup.

Reactions: Snuggs

njx9

Feb 1, 2016
'97 Cup, the Claude-turtle (if only because I was surrounded by Avs fans who still can't figure out how to spell hockey), and the '98 repeat stand out to me.

It wasn't one particular moment, but somewhere around the early part of the 90s, when it became clear that the Dead Wings were really gone. Maybe I'd pinpoint the day they hired Bowman, but even then, it was sort of a building thing.

CKJohn

Apr 23, 2007
This still makes me very happy
[Yt]mKeTho0bkvs[/MEDIA]

Undoubtedly my favorite memory as well. I was at that game with my Dad. Not only is it my favorite memory of the Wings, but also my favorite day with my dad.

SpookyTsuki

Dec 3, 2014
Undoubtedly my favorite memory as well. I was at that game with my Dad. Not only is it my favorite memory of the Wings, but also my favorite day with my dad.

I bet you were so scared before the game probably thinking it's so over :laugh:

kook10

Jun 27, 2011
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CaYDDpTkv30

this moment, easily! It was a looooonnngggg wait.
First time I ever saw the Wings win the cup. check
Incredible goal. Check
Stanley Cup clinching goal. check
Player I loved. check.

Hopefully one day there will be a moment to top this... but It'll be tough.

I think it was Joey Kocur's goal in game 1 that made me think it was really going to happen. If he was going backhand top cheese, things were really going right.

stu the grim reaper

Jul 3, 2002
in 1990-91 in a pretty dismal season, the red wings beat the Norris leading blackhawks both times in a home-and-home, including a penalty shot goal by joey kocur

Konnan511

#RetireHronek17
Sponsor
Jul 29, 2008
Sarasota, FL
So @GMR asked a tongue-in-cheek earlier about Russians and Red Wings Stanley Cup wins. SO I looked it up and it was:
1954-5538DETNHL7042171195.6791st11830.727Stanley Cup Champions

The head coach of that series was rookie Head Coach, Jimmy Skinner. I then went down a rabbit hole because he only coached for 4 years in the NHL, collecting one Stanley Cup, in the finals another year, and a first round exit.

I learned he stepped down his fourth year due to illness. He is largely credited as the first person to kiss the Cup after a win. He was credited with the implementation of the NHL Entry Draft.

He was the GM fired after Illitch bought the team and gave the reigns to Jim Devellano.

He was inducted into the Detroit Red Wings Hall of Fame in 1977. Dude should be in the HHOF for his contributions.

Does anyone else have any interesting Detroit Red Wings history/lore?

dalem177

Plausible Keats
Oct 4, 2021
Minnesota
'97-'08 or so when my buddy Kevin called "are you watching?!?" "yeah, I just flipped it on." "Dougie Brown just scored." "Yeah, I literally turned it on for the goal." "OK, you have to keep watching then." "You serious?" "You think I'm not?"

Gniwder

Oct 12, 2009
Bellingham, WA
The day Zadina was drafted.

636652965536242798-USATSI-10904892.jpg

/thread

Axel Sandy Pelikan

Jonatan Berggren is our Lord and Savior,
May 11, 2023
Igor Larionov in 3OT Game 3 2002 Cup finals.

One of the sickest goals I've seen in such a high pressure situation. Wings still likely win even down 2-1 against the Canes, but it would have not felt very comfortable and they might have got a steamroller's amount of momentum had they won that game.

Also, Zetterberg GWG that Fleury sat on in 2008. I loved that Wings team and I'm glad that core won too.

I'm still just so hurt that Ozzie didn't get his rightful Conn Smythe in 2009 because the Wings stopped being able to score after game 5.

14ari13

Oct 19, 2006
Norway
There were a lot of moments from 96-98, but that entire Avalanche series in 2002 is a great moment in time for me. I was just about to graduate high school and that series kind of encapsulates the whole period for me.

I skipped my prom to watch Wings vs Canes game one and I came home from graduation to watch the triple OT game 3.
It might be the biggest series of the last 50 years.

Konnan511

#RetireHronek17
Sponsor
Jul 29, 2008
Sarasota, FL
So I went down another rabbit hole today. This time, 3 time Stanley Cup winning coach of the Red Wings, Tommy Ivan.
Great read from the NYTimes: Tommy Ivan

He was like a scouting and farm team guru. He's responsible for the rise of Howe, Lindsey, Sawchuck. He also left the Wings after his third Stanley Cup to be the GM of the Hawks, which he turned them around into a powerhouse.

He is thought of as the Farm Team guru, he was one of the first to utilize farm teams and scouting. And I'm glad he started as a Red Wing.

Axel Sandy Pelikan

Jonatan Berggren is our Lord and Savior,
May 11, 2023
Distinctly remember the Wings putting 7 up on Colorado in '02, and the anxiety my family was feeling melted away into basically an hour long celebration.

Also, Helm sending them to the '09 Final was a top tier moment (we should've went back to back)
" BRETT LEBDA..... Screen shot, Holmstrom bangs at the puck. They score! DARREN HELM, DARREN HELM, DARREN HELM!"

• Love
Reactions: JohanFranzenstein

Ad

Upcoming events

• Sydney Swans @ Hawthorn Hawks
    Sydney Swans @ Hawthorn Hawks
    Wagers: 6
    Staked: $6,201.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Inter Milan vs Torino
    Inter Milan vs Torino