Music: Greatest metal debut albums (EPs or LPs)

Hippasus

Feb 17, 2008
Bridgeview
Give a list (1-10).

Beherit: The Oath of Black Blood
dISEMBOWLMENT: Transcendence into the Peripheral
Rippikoulu: Musta seremonia
Convulse: World Without God
Repulsion: Horrified
Thergothon: Stream from the Heavens
Celtic Frost: Morbid Tales
Incantation: Onward to Golgotha

Last edited:
Reactions: Behn Wilson

MetalheadPenguinsFan

Sep 17, 2009
Canada
In no order…..

Megadeth - Killing Is My Business (the original mix)

Autopsy - Severed Survival

Obituary - Slowly We Rot

Death - Scream Bloody Gore

Dark Funeral - The Secrets Of The Black Arts

Morbid Angel - Altars Of Madness

Black Sabbath - Black Sabbath

Metallica - Kill Em’ All

Reactions: Behn Wilson

Hippasus

Feb 17, 2008
Bridgeview
In no order…..

Megadeth - Killing Is My Business (the original mix)

Autopsy - Severed Survival

Obituary - Slowly We Rot

Death - Scream Bloody Gore

Dark Funeral - The Secrets Of The Black Arts

Metallica - Kill Em’ All
I think you were right about Severed Survival. I used to think Mental Funeral was better. They're both first-rate. In my opinion, no one made heavier death metal in the 80s than Autopsy. Well, maybe Blasphemy. But Autopsy was perhaps more musically interesting whereas Blasphemy was more extreme, in a way, and atmospheric. Those are some good picks though.

PANARIN BREAD FAN

Feb 18, 2019
van halen 1
guns-appetite
dio-holy diver
ratt ep
cinderella-night songs
ozzy-blizzard
metallica-kill
megadeth-killing is my business
racer x-street lethal
david lee roth-eat em and smile
sod-speak english or die

Reactions: S E P H

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL
Devin Townsend Project - Ocean Machine (easily, also still his best album to date)
Ensiferum - Ensiferum
Almah - Almah
Racer X - Street Lethal

Behn Wilson

Mar 14, 2002
Chicago, Il
Visit site
Venom - Welcome To Hell
Metallica - Kill Em All
Megadeth - Killing Is My Business....
Slayer - Show No Mercy
Exodus - Bonded By Blood
Testament - The Legacy
Kreator - Endless Pain
Death - Xcream Bloody Gore

Aladyyn

they praying for the death of a rockstar
Apr 6, 2015
Czech Republic
Furia - Martwa Polska Jesień
Deströyer 666 - Unchain the Wolves
Mütiilation - Vampires of Black Imperial Blood
Desaster - A Touch of Medieval Darkness
Blind Guardian - Battalions of Fear
Master's Hammer - Rituál
Emperor - In the Nightside Eclipse
Katatonia - Dance of December Souls
Stormwitch - Walpurgis Night
Sodom - Obsessed by Cruelty

Indrid Cold

Oct 24, 2022
Coldworker - The Contaminated Void

Witchery - Restless and Dead

Soulfly - ST

Riverside - Out Of Myself

Machinehead - Burn My Eyes

Reactions: Jovavic

beowulf

Not a nice guy.
Jan 29, 2005
Ottawa
Some of these answers, while amazing albums, make me wonder if they are truly "debut" albums

Like Ozzy with Blizzard of Oz. Might be his first solo album but he had what a decade and 8 albums "practice" with Black Sabbath?
Devin Townsend Project - Ocean Machine (easily, also still his best album to date)
Ensiferum - Ensiferum
Almah - Almah
Racer X - Street Lethal
That is not Devin's first album, heck it is not even DTP's first album
His first album is technically Sex & Religion with Vai (Steve Vai's ill-fated attempt at a band )which was in 1993

His next studio album was with Strapping Young Lads in 1995 "Heave as a Really Heavy Thing"
Even using his own name as Devin Townsend or Devin Townsend Project, Ocean Machine was technically his 2nd album after "Cooked on Phonics" which was more of a joke album and you might find funny given you are from Poland right?

Punky Brüster – Cooked on Phonics is the debut studio album by Canadian musician Devin Townsend, originally released as Cooked on Phonics under the fictional band name Punky Brüster. It was released on Townsend's label, HevyDevy Records, on March 19, 1996. It is a comedic metal/punk rock concept album written by Townsend.

Cooked on Phonics tells the story of a fictitious death metal band "from South Central Poland" called Cryptic Coroner; during a gig, their guitarist breaks a string, and the band is forced to improvise and tune up to play punk rock instead; the band accidentally becomes an overnight success and decides to sell out their metal look and sound to become a commercial punk rock band called Punky Brüster (the band's name being a pun on the 1980s U.S. television series Punky Brewster).

Cas

Conversational Black Hole
Sponsor
Jun 23, 2020
Some of these answers, while amazing albums, make me wonder if they are truly "debut" albums

Like Ozzy with Blizzard of Oz. Might be his first solo album but he had what a decade and 8 albums "practice" with Black Sabbath?

His first album is technically Sex & Religion with Vai (Steve Vai's ill-fated attempt at a band )which was in 1993

His next studio album was with Strapping Young Lads in 1995 "Heave as a Really Heavy Thing"
Even using his own name as Devin Townsend or Devin Townsend Project, Ocean Machine was technically his 2nd album after "Cooked on Phonics" which was more of a joke album and you might find funny given you are from Poland right?

Punky Brüster – Cooked on Phonics is the debut studio album by Canadian musician Devin Townsend, originally released as Cooked on Phonics under the fictional band name Punky Brüster. It was released on Townsend's label, HevyDevy Records, on March 19, 1996. It is a comedic metal/punk rock concept album written by Townsend.

Cooked on Phonics tells the story of a fictitious death metal band "from South Central Poland" called Cryptic Coroner; during a gig, their guitarist breaks a string, and the band is forced to improvise and tune up to play punk rock instead; the band accidentally becomes an overnight success and decides to sell out their metal look and sound to become a commercial punk rock band called Punky Brüster (the band's name being a pun on the 1980s U.S. television series Punky Brewster).

Yes, neither In the Nightaide Eclipse or Obsessed with Cruelty are debuts.

However, I do not believe debuts mean anything outside of the specific project. Blizzard of Ozz is a debut.

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL

I knew he was found by Steve Vai where he did that weird Sex and Religion album and I knew he was the main founder of Strapping Young Lads as well. However, I wanted to speak specifically to his solo career as his "main" debut, which I admit might not be technically correct. Now with that said, you got me on the Punky Bruster, but I thought that was more of a demo tape. I totally forgot about that album because going through some of the songs I have of him, I remember him redoing some of them for I believe the Physicist album or around that same time frame. My memory might not be serving me correctly though, but I do have some songs like Noise Pink Bubbles and Cristeen on Physicist (I might have combined two albums at one point in time in the past which I totally forgot). In the end though, I think we can all agree that Ocean Machine is still a truly amazing album. If you ever got into his B-Side stuff because he has loads of it, he actually made a song entitled after that album and put it as a secondary or something on an EP, single, or other album. Whatever the case may be, I found it and had to get it because it is too good of a song (surprised he never officially put it on that album). E: Found that it was a demo song. EII: Funny, I never knew that about that Punky Brüster story.

Coldworker - The Contaminated Void

Witchery - Restless and Dead

Soulfly - ST

Riverside - Out Of Myself

Machinehead - Burn My Eyes
I love Out of Myself, but I don't think it touches Second Life Syndrome or ADHD for me. Both of those along with Wasteland at this point are superior albums.

Last edited:
Reactions: beowulf

beowulf

Not a nice guy.
Jan 29, 2005
Ottawa
I knew he was found by Steve Vai where he did that weird Sex and Religion album and I knew he was the main founder of Strapping Young Lads as well. However, I wanted to speak specifically to his solo career as his "main" debut, which I admit might not be technically correct. Now with that said, you got me on the Punky Bruster, but I thought that was more of a demo tape. I totally forgot about that album because going through some of the songs I have of him, I remember him redoing some of them for I believe the Physicist album or around that same time frame. My memory might not be serving me correctly though, but I do have some songs like Noise Pink Bubbles and Cristeen on Physicist (I might have combined two albums at one point in time in the past which I totally forgot). In the end though, I think we can all agree that Ocean Machine is still a truly amazing album. If you ever got into his B-Side stuff because he has loads of it, he actually made a song entitled after that album and put it as a secondary or something on an EP, single, or other album. Whatever the case may be, I found it and had to get it because it is too good of a song (surprised he never officially put it on that album).

I love Out of Myself, but I don't think it touches Second Life Syndrome or ADHD for me. Both of those along with Wasteland at this point are superior albums.
Been a fan of his since 1993! Was alreay listening to guys like Vai, Satriani etc. so when I heard him on Sex & Religion I was like this guy is an amazing singer and he is Canadian on top of it! Been following him ever since. Don't have all his albums but do have many including sort of prog country album with Che Amee Dorval

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL
Funny, I never knew about this. I think I passed that album in the past either because I truly did not know about it or it got low ratings by others and I was short on listening time.

That story also doesn't surprise me, one of his best albums is about an alien from another dimension invading Earth for its best cup of coffee lol.

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL
Been a fan of his since 1993! Was alreay listening to guys like Vai, Satriani etc. so when I heard him on Sex & Religion I was like this guy is an amazing singer and he is Canadian on top of it! Been following him ever since. Don't have all his albums but do have many including sort of prog country album with Che Amee Dorval

If you have time, I highly recommend chequing out his B and rare stuff. Honestly, at times it could be better than his official releases. Songs like Sit on the Mountain, Soft (top 5 song of HevyDevy for me), Heatwave, Woah No!, Celestial Signals, Lexus, and Man are amazing songs and are either bonus songs or rare demos. There are many more that are great as well.

Indrid Cold

Oct 24, 2022
I knew he was found by Steve Vai where he did that weird Sex and Religion album and I knew he was the main founder of Strapping Young Lads as well. However, I wanted to speak specifically to his solo career as his "main" debut, which I admit might not be technically correct. Now with that said, you got me on the Punky Bruster, but I thought that was more of a demo tape. I totally forgot about that album because going through some of the songs I have of him, I remember him redoing some of them for I believe the Physicist album or around that same time frame. My memory might not be serving me correctly though, but I do have some songs like Noise Pink Bubbles and Cristeen on Physicist (I might have combined two albums at one point in time in the past which I totally forgot). In the end though, I think we can all agree that Ocean Machine is still a truly amazing album. If you ever got into his B-Side stuff because he has loads of it, he actually made a song entitled after that album and put it as a secondary or something on an EP, single, or other album. Whatever the case may be, I found it and had to get it because it is too good of a song (surprised he never officially put it on that album). E: Found that it was a demo song. EII: Funny, I never knew that about that Punky Brüster story.

Agreed, but it was still a great debut album. ADHD is their best release IMO.

Hippasus

Feb 17, 2008
Bridgeview
comes down to definition of metal
It's hard to define properly, but I would just take the route that it has to be "heavy", probably amplified, and string instrument-based like guitar or bass. For me it starts with 80s black metal, thrash metal, and grindcore. Before that there was foreshadowing from Iron Butterfly, Cream, Jimi Hendrix, Led Zeppelin, Queen, Judas Priest, and Motorhead. I think it's worthwhile thinking about subject matter and musical influences. Black Sabbath was heavy guitar music with dark subject matter, but influenced heavily by blues and so arguably not true metal yet. Then Venom and Iron Maiden started to be proto-metal more intensely just before Slayer, Metallica, Hellhammer, etc. hit the scene.

Last edited:

Jumptheshark

Rebooting myself
Oct 12, 2003
Somewhere on Uranus
It's hard to define properly, but I would just take the route that it has to be "heavy", probably amplified, and string instrument-based like guitar or bass. For me it starts with 80s black metal, thrash metal, and grindcore. Before that there was foreshadowing from Iron Butterfly, Cream, Jimi Hendrix, Led Zeppelin, Queen, Judas Priest, and Mororhead. I think it's worthwhile thinking about subject matter and musical influences. Black Sabbath was heavy guitar music with dark subject matter, but influenced heavily by blues and so arguably not true metal yet. Then Venom and Iron Maiden started to be proto-metal more intensely just before Slayer, Metallica, Hellhammer, etc. hit the scene.
Queen had one song that would be described as metal Stone cold crazy.

I think hard rock and metal get confused.

In this day and age not many people would call Crue metal or Ratt

Reactions: Hippasus

Hippasus

Feb 17, 2008
Bridgeview

I should add that metal has to be dark in theme, or extreme in some way, while being guitar- or bass-bassed. Otherwise there would be no difference between punk and some industrial that often uses bass guitars and the like.

beowulf

Not a nice guy.
Jan 29, 2005
Ottawa
Funny, I never knew about this. I think I passed that album in the past either because I truly did not know about it or it got low ratings by others and I was short on listening time.

That story also doesn't surprise me, one of his best albums is about an alien from another dimension invading Earth for its best cup of coffee lol.

Good ole Ziltoid the Omniscient! For the Z2 album I got the special 3 disk version

His live performances during the pandemic where epic, or at least the ones I watched were.

Maybe but even back then it was "Hair metal" not "heavy metal" like Poison, Slaughter, Winger, Warrant, etc. etc.

I am not exposed

Mar 16, 2014
Vancouver
Good ole Ziltoid the Omniscient! For the Z2 album I got the special 3 disk version

His live performances during the pandemic where epic, or at least the ones I watched were.

Maybe but even back then it was "Hair metal" not "heavy metal" like Poison, Slaughter, Winger, Warrant, etc. etc.

The term hair metal wasn't used back in the 80s. It started being used in the 90s.

World of Ice

I'll just go by a few main sub genres.

Death Metal - Deicide's one two punch of their debut and Legion does it for me but there's loads more.

For Thrash Metal I'd go with Morbid Saint - Spectrum of Death and Vio-lence - Eternal Nightmare.

Black Metal - Hard to choose for me but Ulver's Bergtatt - Et Eeventyr i 5 Capitler is amazing.

Doom Metal - Can't go wrong with Candlemass' debut and Nightfall.

Just off the top of my head.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad