Greatest Line Last 20 Years?

WingsFan95

Mar 22, 2008
Kanata
By line I mean the top offensive line and defensive pairing.

I think Lemieux, Stevens, Jagr with Coffey ( I'm not sure if it was Samuelsson or Murphy with Coffey on that first line, or if Coffey was on that first line ) is pretty solid.

But in 02, Detroit:

Yzerman, Fedorov ( I know he didn't always play winger but still ), Shanahan

With Chelios and Lidstrom on defense. Droool.

Gobo

Stop looking Gare
Jun 29, 2010
That year the Avalance had Selanne and Kariya, what were there lines like? I always remember thinking that Avalanche team shoulda been unstoppable.

Zaphod

Mar 24, 2008
Victoria, BC
Selanne-Sakic-Kariya, for the ten games it lasted before Granato started fooling around, looks like a damned good line on paper, but it has little business being in this conversation, particularly when actual, productive lines suggested could include Mario Lemieux and a defenseman like Paul Coffey, or any one of those Wings lines with three HHOF forwards and Lidstrom.

A short-lived Avs combination that could be an 'also-ran' in this discussion, if we weren't including defensemen - Forsberg-Sakic-Fleury. In 98-99 all three were top-ten in scoring.

Big Phil

Nov 2, 2003
The Pizza line (Spezza, Heatley, Alfredsson) and the Legion of Doom (Lindros, Leclair and Renberg) were two lines who were dominant for a couple of years and managed to reach the final without winning. They didn't stay together particularly long, but it was longer than some lines stick together

Loto68

Aug 12, 2006
Boston
Its probably not considered that great, but the Straka-Nylander-Jagr line Triple-handedly ended the Rangers playoff drought.

TheDevilMadeMe

Aug 28, 2006
Brooklyn
Not the greatest on paper, but NJ's A line (Elias-Arnott-Sykora) dominated puck possession when the were backed up by Scott Stevens and Brian Rafalski.

Iplayhockehh

Aug 20, 2010
Surrey
The West Coast Express line which consisted of a peaking Naslund had Bertuzzi and Morrison riding shot gun. That line was pretty deadly.

mrhockey193195

Nov 14, 2006
Denver, CO
My vote goes to either Legion of Doom or the Elias-Arnott-Sykora line.

EDIT: I didn't realize this was including defensive pairings too. My vote definitely goes to Elias-Arnott-Sykora then, since they had some combination of Stevens/Niedermayer/Daneyko/Rafalski on defense.

Last edited:

silkyjohnson50

Jan 10, 2007
The Russian Five in 96-97, what else?

I've never seen a 5-man unit in the NHL that played as cohesive as those guys.

Even if you don't consider them the greatest unit, they have to go down as one of the most influential. Detroit's famous "puck possession" game in large part stems from the Russian 5. They gave the NHL a new way of looking at the game IMO.

shazariahl

Apr 7, 2009
For the first time in history, I probably have to agree with 99wasnotthebest and vote for the Lemieux, Stevens, Jagr line with Coffey and any random guy on D. The 2nd best offensive forward of all time, with the 2nd best offensive D-man of all time, with Stevens and Jagr in there as well? Honestly, that's one of the best lines ever, let alone in the last 20 years.

TheDevilMadeMe

Aug 28, 2006
Brooklyn
For the first time in history, I probably have to agree with 99wasnotthebest and vote for the Lemieux, Stevens, Jagr line with Coffey and any random guy on D. The 2nd best offensive forward of all time, with the 2nd best offensive D-man of all time, with Stevens and Jagr in there as well? Honestly, that's one of the best lines ever, let alone in the last 20 years.

Was that a regular line though? I barely remember the Penguins of the time, but I thought Lemieux usually played with Recchi/Tocchet and Jagr usually played on the second line with Francis?

Gylf

Dec 29, 2007
Three personal favourites:

Lidström
Rafalski
Zetterberg
Datsyuk
Holmström

Blake
Duchesne
Gretzky
Granato