Greatest Italian Forward?

Cassano

Aug 31, 2013
GTA
With all the posts about Totti recently, it got me thinking: who is the best Italian forward ever?

A lot of names to choose from.. Totti, AdP, Baggio, Vieri, etc

Luigi Habs

Captain Saku
Jul 30, 2005
Montreal
Hard to say. There isn't one whom you could definitely say he's a top 5 or even 10 in history. Italy never produced that kind of player.

The top 6 list should be: Baggio, Del Piero, Totti, Meazza, Silvio Piola, Paolo Rossi

Piola is the best scorer in Serie A history but I doubt many has seen him play. I'd say he's the one with the better career, but the most talented I think is Del Piero.

Deficient Mode

Mar 25, 2011
Di Stefano if he counts. Baggio was the coolest. On reputation Meazza may have been the greatest if you were old enough to watch him play. Totti for longevity and loyalty. I'm partial to Totti. Stunningly efficient even in limited minutes into his 40s is virtually unheard of in this sport. Great creator and great scorer.

Duchene2MacKinnon

In the hands of Genius
Aug 8, 2006
Di Stefano if he counts. Baggio was the coolest. On reputation Meazza may have been the greatest if you were old enough to watch him play. Totti for longevity and loyalty. I'm partial to Totti. Stunningly efficient even in limited minutes into his 40s is virtually unheard of in this sport. Great creator and great scorer.

He's Argentinean mate...unless, there's another one I don't know about.:D

Either way it's still Zaza.

Evilo

Mar 17, 2002
France
Paolo Rossi has won a WC almost by himself. Basically comparable to Maradona.

But Maradona's self made legend makes him the best ever for some, while Rossi is an afterthought.

Luigi Habs

Captain Saku
Jul 30, 2005
Montreal
Paolo Rossi has won a WC almost by himself. Basically comparable to Maradona.

But Maradona's self made legend makes him the best ever for some, while Rossi is an afterthought.

Rossi was a striker in the Lewandowski/Benzema's stature that had a wonderful tournament. He was still a very good striker in his clubs career but never even close to being considered one of the best. Let's not start the Maradona topic again here, we know what you think of him.

Regarding Totti, unfortunately I think that if Serie A is the same Serie A of the 90s and early 2000s Totti would have had no chance to keep that level. Del Piero also played at a high level until his late 30s. He also had a wonderful Champions League career, but also had a better team behind him while Totti carried Roma on his shoulders the major part of his career.

Evilo

Mar 17, 2002
France
I know who Rossi was. A very good forward who had 15 days of magic.
Maradona was one of the best of his period and who had 15 days of magic.

Evilo

Mar 17, 2002
France
You see the algerian poster when he calls Platini italian :biglaugh:

WAY too used to recruiting other countries' players :D

Luigi Habs

Captain Saku
Jul 30, 2005
Montreal
There were times when Italy had had to choose a fwd group between: Del Piero, Totti, Vieri, Izaghi, Baggio, Delvecchio, Montella, Chiesa.

Look at their options now :laugh:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad