GREATEST HOCKEY CARD RANDOM FIND EVER

Michael Farkas

Celebrate 68
Jun 28, 2006
NYC
www.hockeyprospect.com
As a former collector, I thought this was really cool. Finding an unopened box in good shape from that far back is tough...a whole case like that...that's really cool.

I can't sit through the whole article when the headline sums up the entire story, but did they move with this case all these years...?

Reactions: MarkusNaslund19

BraveCanadian

Jun 30, 2010
Crazy to think what might be in there.. I wonder what condition they are in after 40 years in a basement?

reckoning

Jan 4, 2005
That was the year I probably bought the most cards when I was younger, but I only have one Gretzky RC from it. I didn't see it as an investment at the time, so didn't store it properly. What I didn't realize as a kid was that wrapping an elastic around them to keep them together really hurts the edges and devalues them significantly. Other than soft edges, it's not in bad shape. Maybe I can unload it for a few hundred someday if I need to.

If you were to buy an unopened case or pack from 40+ years ago today, if there any chance of the cards being damaged by that cheap bubblegum they used to include in it. That stuff must be decayed badly after all that time.

Bear of Bad News

Your Third or Fourth Favorite HFBoards Admin
Sep 27, 2005
Decent thread going on the mains regarding this. Curious what the buyer will do - I agree that finding a pristine mint Gretzky is unlikely given how OPC cut those cards in the day.

Digital Kid

Jun 5, 2015
Calgary
As a former collector, I thought this was really cool. Finding an unopened box in good shape from that far back is tough...a whole case like that...that's really cool.

I can't sit through the whole article when the headline sums up the entire story, but did they move with this case all these years...?
The key point is that the owners thought they were 1980-81 cards and said "Whatever" until they took a closer look.

“The case says 1980 on it because the hockey season [the cards were released] straddled two years, it went 1979 and into 1980 and something that O-Pee-Chee did, which is the manufacturer, is they would put up the second year, the year that season’s finals would take place,” Jason Simonds from Heritage Auctions said.

Also, this is another key sentence:
Inside the case are 16 unopened wax boxes of 1979-80 O-Pee-Chee (OPC) hockey cards, with 48 packs of 10 cards per box — a total of 7,680 cards.

For serious collectors, only around 20 of those matter. Based on statistical probability, that's how many pristine Wayne Gretzky rookie cards might be locked inside.

alko

Oct 20, 2004
Slovakia
www.slovakhockey.sk
Funny story from Baseball:

1909-11 T206 Ty Cobb Tobacco (Ty Cobb Back)
Estimated PSA 4.5 VG-EX+ Value: $894,250

The T206 set is special for many reasons but one of them is no doubt the numerous brand advertisements on the backs–16 different backs in total.

Estimates place the number of front/back combinations around 5,500 which led to this set being nicknamed “The Monster.”

With approximately 22 or less known to exist, all in low grades, the Ty Cobb back is the rarest of them all.

In 2016, seven copies of this card were miraculously found in an old paper bag.

The find has since been dubbed “The Lucky 7” find.

sr edler

gold is not reality
Mar 20, 2010
Perceived vs real hockey card value always cracked me up, even in my early teens.

Peak comedy value being people running around with the Beckett price guide under their arm, 1920s Wall Street hysteria style.

The funny thing about hockey cards, that I remember from my youth, is that people that weren't even that hardcore into hockey could still be really hardcore into hockey cards. It's probably some combo of dopamine, the business aspect, and/or the unknown. Or "unknown" because we all known what's in there. It's just cards of men in hockey pants. But yeah, I knew someone who had cards in big glass-ass showcases and stuff.

I always liked the old 91–92 Pro Set cards, these are the only ones I have left, 4 of them (rookie Hasek in Chicago outfit, rookie Bure, and Fedorov and Mogilny). Their perceived/personal value is that I haven't yet thrown them in the garbage can.

Reactions: Bear of Bad News

seventieslord

Student Of The Game
Mar 16, 2006
Regina, SK
I hope they livestream the opening of these packs. I would watch it. Even though the climax will be off camera. We know just due to the odds that they're likely to find 27 Gretzky rookies in there. So with random variance taken into account, somewhere between 20 and 35. There's not much exciting about that, it's definitely going to happen. The key part is what will they grade for. Most of them are going to be no better than 8 even fresh out of a pack. Any speculator buying this is definitely counting on getting a few 9s (last I heard, worth 600k each) and that elusive 10 (only 2 exist). But the moment that those are graded will be weeks later, and off camera.

10 minutes later.... jeez, completed sales on ebay only show two PSA8 OPC gretzkys (I remove the topps ones from comparisons) and they seem to have a market value of "just" 9000-15000. One went for 35k inexplicably, so must have been a bidding war, but given other sales it appears that they weren't necessarily justified going that hard after that one.

So if the best you can usually hope for right out of the pack is a card worth about 10k (I imagine flooding the market with 20 of them would bring that down a little), that's just 200k worth of Gretzky rookies. A speculator is buying this playing the odds that they can find 2-5 in PSA9 condition (I have a friend with one and he says he'll get 600k for it one day, but this article https://allvintagecards.com/wayne-gretzky-rookie-cards/ seems to suggest that they might only be in the 40k range, and I have no recent confirmed sales to point to, to prove which range is correct. Let's say 100k, and that's still only 200k-500k worth of PSA9s. So we're not even really close to a $1M value at this point. The key really is the percentage likelihood of finding the world's 3rd known PSA10 card.

Only 2 out of 820 cards graded 8+ have graded at 10 by PSA. My assumption is that anything graded 8+ was fresh out of a pack. if it sits in a pile for years, or in a box or whatever, it's topping out at 7. So right out of the pack each card is, like, a 1-in-400 chance of being PSA10. So that's like a 27-in-400 chance that you find one, or about 7%. What would you pay for a 7% chance of winning $4M? That's the big question here. It's nice that you'll recoup about a million on the rest of the Gretzkys, but it's that chance at the PSA10 that is bringing speculators in.

That's not to downplay the overall historical importance of this set in general. 1979 was a decent year for rookies. Here are the next 10 most important rookie cards in this set, in order:

Bobby Smith
John Tonelli
Charlie Simmer
Ken Linseman
Brian Engblom
Thomas Gradin
John Quenneville
Gordie Roberts
Morris Lukowich
Dave Semenko

ok, so it wasn't a great year for rookies, as it was the year after this that the Messier, Gartner, Bourque and Goulet were produced; even though they debuted the same season Gretzky did, unlike him they did not merit a card until they had played.

...plus the last ever cards of legends Gordie Howe, Bobby Hull, Stan Mikita and Ken Dryden. A number of mid-career cards of HOFers are worth something too, as well as the checklists which we all know become pretty rare unmarked.

With thousands of those to go through, you're going to find many 9s and surely a handful of 10s. How many and which ones grade at 10, is the key.

I think you have to have money to burn if you're buying this for the expected $3M, because it will take time and effort to recoup your money if you don't get a PSA10 Gretzky, and odds are you won't.

Staniowski

Jan 13, 2018
The Maritimes
Screenshot_20240205-005842_Gallery.jpg

I remember this series - and this card- very well. I had a few Gretzky rookies but sold them a long time ago. I think Dryden's "now retired" card is the only one I kept.

I remember the bad cuts of that OPC set.

I'm a little surprised, though, if there's only two Gem Mints. There should be a LOT of these Gretzky rookies around.

I think Gretzky's inclusion in this set was only because of the WHA. Normally, his rookie would've been the following year. This set is for players who played in the NHL in '78-'79. Gretzky wasn't the only one, I think a small number of the WHA guys had cards too.

Hippasus

Feb 17, 2008
Bridgeview
View attachment 814825
I remember this series - and this card- very well. I had a few Gretzky rookies but sold them a long time ago. I think Dryden's "now retired" card is the only one I kept.

I remember the bad cuts of that OPC set.

I'm a little surprised, though, if there's only two Gem Mints. There should be a LOT of these Gretzky rookies around.

I think Gretzky's inclusion in this set was only because of the WHA. Normally, his rookie would've been the following year. This set is for players who played in the NHL in '78-'79. Gretzky wasn't the only one, I think a small number of the WHA guys had cards too.
That's a pretty card but even that Gem Mint 10 looks a little choppy on the right edge.

Reactions: seventieslord

MadLuke

Jan 18, 2011
Is there some 10/10 because that the best know existing card of that batch can look grading on a curve happening ?

That would make sense, that would what often interest the seller-buyer, they can look by themselve for the kind of thing we see by looking at a screenshot ourself.

Sorry

May 18, 2005
I was thinking the same thing. I feel like it had to be an artifact of the photo, somehow. What would be the point of a PSA10 if it looks like that?

No, that photo makes it look even better. Top right corner is trash. It's almost like Heritage Auctions is a scumbag auction house that are in cahoots with certain grading companies. Well, until the video game community exposed them for being frauds.

Hippasus

Feb 17, 2008
Bridgeview

seventieslord

Student Of The Game
Mar 16, 2006
Regina, SK
Sometimes corners can look like that, a bit rounded, on a mint card, without actually being scuffed.
I'm still surprised it's not taken into consideration. "That's just how it was made" doesn't fly with bad cuts, bad centering or slightly-off color overlays, so why should it on a corner being a bit rounded?

Hippasus

Feb 17, 2008
Bridgeview
I'm still surprised it's not taken into consideration. "That's just how it was made" doesn't fly with bad cuts, bad centering or slightly-off color overlays, so why should it on a corner being a bit rounded?
It's just a matter of where one draws the line for a defect. For me, for a vintage card like this, context matters to some degree. The color and corner wouldn't count as defects while that edge would. It would have to be a perfect rectangular prism in heaven in order to be truly 100% pristine, but that's not realistic for any card, past or present. I'm not an expert, but that's my opinion.

The two most well-known and popular grading card companies are PSA and BGS, in that order. I think BGS is more stringent because they break their grades down into more categories and have more gradations. The card we're talking about was graded through PSA. Apparently there's only a few in the world, and being Gretzky's best rookie, I heard it's worth one million+ dollars.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad