Great skaters, bad players

Status
Not open for further replies.

Big Phil

Nov 2, 2003
Who in your mind was a guy who was always known to have great wheels but never a vey good player, or at leat turned out to be one. Its rare when there are players who are as fast as the wind out there and have their head catch up to their skates. Yvan Cournoyer is a perfect example of a guy who skated like the wind and put it al togehter to translate that into goals, Pavel Bure is another one. Some guys skate too fast for their own good though. Here are some guys who skated ver fast but were never very good, or arent good.

Ken Yaremchuk - Had great speed but no head.
Rico Fata - Skated like he was a racecar, but always looks like he's going in circles. To me his head hasnt caught up to his feet, and may never will.
Jason Chimera - I dont know why he never could put up decent points at least.

One guy I think about was Bob Bourne. What a fast, fast skater. He doesnt belong with the other guys, cause he won 4 Cups with the Isles and had some good point seasons ( he had 28 playoff points in '83). But he's a guy who was a good player but you'd always see him skate and wonder how he didnt go through the whole team.

Ogopogo*

Big Phil said:
Who in your mind was a guy who was always known to have great wheels but never a vey good player, or at leat turned out to be one. Its rare when there are players who are as fast as the wind out there and have their head catch up to their skates. Yvan Cournoyer is a perfect example of a guy who skated like the wind and put it al togehter to translate that into goals, Pavel Bure is another one. Some guys skate too fast for their own good though. Here are some guys who skated ver fast but were never very good, or arent good.

Rico Fata - Skated like he was a racecar, but always looks like he's going in circles. To me his head hasnt caught up to his feet, and may never will.

One guy I think about was Bob Bourne. What a fast, fast skater. He doesnt belong with the other guys, cause he won 4 Cups with the Isles and had some good point seasons ( he had 28 playoff points in '83). But he's a guy who was a good player but you'd always see him skate and wonder how he didnt go through the whole team.

Todd Marchant. He could fly and he was GREAT at finding the crest on the goalie's jersey with his shots. Thank God he left Edmonton.

Chili

En boca cerrada no entran moscas
Jun 10, 2004
Russ Courtnall wasn't a bad player, nor close. He was a marvelous skater who if he'd had great hands, might have been a hall of famer.

looooob

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
Paul Ranheim has played 1000 games, so not sure he counts, but in those early years with Calgary he never lived up to his IHL billing. alot of speed, not much else

Reactions: grentthealien

Peter25

Sep 20, 2003
Visit site
Big Phil said:

What? Pavel Bure a bad player?

KOVALEV10*

Peter25 said:
What? Pavel Bure a bad player?
Its rare when there are players who are as fast as the wind out there and have their head catch up to their skates. Yvan Cournoyer is a perfect example of a guy who skated like the wind and put it al togehter to translate that into goals, Pavel Bure is another one

He's saying the opposite if you read closely..

chooch*

Cloned said:
Steve Kelly.

Gene Carr was supposedly the fastest skater of his time.

Murray Wilson also comes to mind.

How about Bob Gainey? I always thought he may have been a right handed shot he had such hands of stone.

Bring Back Bucky

May 19, 2004
Canadas Ocean Playground
chooch said:
Gene Carr was supposedly the fastest skater of his time.

Murray Wilson also comes to mind.

How about Bob Gainey? I always thought he may have been a right handed shot he had such hands of stone.

Bob Gainey a bad player??? Hands of stone, yes, that's a reasonable argument, but bad player :dunno: :dunno:

KOVALEV10*

Bring Back Bucky said:
Bob Gainey a bad player??? Hands of stone, yes, that's a reasonable argument, but bad player :dunno: :dunno:

I think he meant bad offensive player which he indeed was but his incredible defensive game more then made up for it.

Habsfan 32

Aug 18, 2004
Way up north...
Rico Fata is the first guy that came to my mind when I heard the title of the thread. Although he's not that bad of a player people expect more since he skates so fast.

mazmin

Wig like a mink skin, soft like Twinkie dough
May 15, 2004
Winnipeg
Oilers prospect Tony Salmelainen is an awesome skater. Like a young Marchant or Draper he isn't a great finisher.

mcphee

Feb 6, 2003
Visit site
free0717 said:
Bobby Sheehan
That's who came to mind for me. Man, he could fly. Hands never caught up to his feet though. Anybody remember Ron Flockhart ? He looked great for a few games in Mtl., 'til we realized, he was Sheehan re-incarnated. Didn't they refer to him as Flockey Hockey when he was in Philly ?

chooch*

mcphee said:
That's who came to mind for me. Man, he could fly. Hands never caught up to his feet though. Anybody remember Ron Flockhart ? He looked great for a few games in Mtl., 'til we realized, he was Sheehan re-incarnated. Didn't they refer to him as Flockey Hockey when he was in Philly ?

Flockhart is a complete mystery to me; for a few games and others with other teams he was more than a great skater; he could really stickhandle (FlockeyHockey)
- only thing was he had his head down a lot and didnt pass much for a centre. But I dont get why he never became a huge star.

He reminded me a lot of Morenz from old footage (really).

chooch*

KOVALEV10 said:
I think he meant bad offensive player which he indeed was but his incredible defensive game more then made up for it.

Your avatar is funny; bucky's is bad karma.

Bring Back Bucky

May 19, 2004
Canadas Ocean Playground
Ogopogo said:
Todd Marchant. He could fly and he was GREAT at finding the crest on the goalie's jersey with his shots. Thank God he left Edmonton.

Yeah, it's pretty bad when you can safely get up for a snack break in the midst of a breakaway by your favorite team.. securely knowing you won't miss anything. That's my memory of Marchant- best pure speed end to end the Oilers had since Anderson. Unfortunately, he had precious little in the way of offensive instincts to go with the wheels..

Bring Back Bucky

May 19, 2004
Canadas Ocean Playground
chooch said:
Your avatar is funny; bucky's is bad karma.

I beseech thee, please carry out your (adorable) mutual affection sharing without involving me as a helpless victim. Please enjoy and stick the thread topic without the harsh statements at my expense.. ;) Thanks so much

Marcus-74

Apr 27, 2005
If the word bad can be used loosely here, then how about Paul Henderson? I guess he had some decent seasons and, of course, he played eight brilliant games "you know when", but never could become even close to great in his NHL career... or even in his WHA career.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad