News Article: Great PG Article about Malkin and Magnitogorsk

orby

Jun 16, 2013
Erie, PA
www.youtube.com
http://www.post-gazette.com/sports/...-founded-in-ice-and-iron/stories/201402090133

This is a long article that covers a lot of information about Malkin's family, his youth, his transition to the NHL, and his current relationship with his old home and old friends...Full of wonderful tidbits like this one:

In November, Semochkin's wife, Larisa, was diagnosed with blood cancer. She went to Germany for tests, and to have the treatments she needed would cost 150,000 euros (about $205,000). Ivan went to work in Magnitogorsk, putting out feelers all over town. The team and the factory were willing to help, but time was running out, and the Semochkins still needed $1 million rubles (about $30,000).

Semochkin had heard that Evgeni was very generous with people back home. He had not spoken to Evgeni in nearly a decade, but he did not know where else to turn. He got Evgeni's cell phone number and texted him the story. With two days remaining before Larisa would have to return to Russia without having the surgery she needed, putting her life in danger, Ivan got a text message from Evgeni.

"Check bank account," it said

The money was all there.

Darth Vitale

Dark Matter
Aug 21, 2003
Darkness
Geno is a Living Legend. If we don't get into the gold medal game, I hope he does and I hope he scores the golden goal.
I know that means Ovechkin wins too, but I don't care... and F Canada and their unhealthy obsessions with these things. :D

post-23470-Jeremiah-Johnson-nod-cropped-g-jtcK.gif

Even Jeremiah knows... Geno is good.

Jaded-Fan

Mar 18, 2004
Pittsburgh
Yeah. During his rookie season.

http://penguins.nhl.com/club/news.htm?id=494879

I thought I remembered reading something a little while back about how he's frequently done stuff like that throughout his career but tries not to have a big deal made of it.

Great article, by the way.

Yeah he never told anyone. The girl's parents made a point of making it known at the time. Sounds like similar in this case as well. My guess is that there are other times he has helped that we never found out about.

Sadly, and being as jaded as my name, I worry about these stories and if a con ever had contacted him with a fake sob story. It seems that this kind of publicity of his tendency to do these things opens him wide up to some of the scum of the world.

AjaxTelamon

Jul 8, 2011
We're awfully lucky to have gotten Geno, great guy and glad he's here for his career. This really is the kind of town for him. Pittsburgh isn't exactly a cosmopolitan place, but the people are as nice as you can find in an NHL town.

BlindWillyMcHurt

ti kallisti
May 31, 2004
I think Geno also appreciates the character and fabric of the town, owing to where he came from. I don't think that's just some nice story line that a journalist concocted... I think it's absolutely true. I also think that Malkin, especially, appreciates that Pittsburgh is the kind of town that generally gives it's athletes a ton of respect in regards to their personal space. Geno loves being the man out on the ice... but I don't know that he's the most comfortable being the center of attention outside of that.

Ugene Magic

EVIL LAUGH
Oct 17, 2008
Pittsburgh
Geno, you are seriously a God among men.

Love hearing/reading the giveback stories.

Still won't change my loyalties, but still...:bow:

Hope all works out for her.

Gallatin

A Banksy of Goonism
Mar 4, 2010
Pittsburgh
Not used to reading such quality work from the PG sports department.

Iron and Ice. The pull of the Mountain. It was almost like something mythical and stirring.

Legendary stuff IMO.

Crozbar

Feb 7, 2010
Edmonton
Great story, Malkin is such a loveable player and person, too, it seems. Article paints a very evocative picture of Geno's hometown as well.

Michael8771*

Geno is a Living Legend. If we don't get into the gold medal game, I hope he does and I hope he scores the golden goal.
I know that means Ovechkin wins too, but I don't care... and F Canada and their unhealthy obsessions with these things. :D

post-23470-Jeremiah-Johnson-nod-cropped-g-jtcK.gif

Even Jeremiah knows... Geno is good.
Well stated, I Could not agree more!

AjaxTelamon

Jul 8, 2011
He pretty much hooked up the team with the quick negotiation and signing so Shero could move on to other things too. 9.5 mil for the guy is a friendly deal right now, and will be an amazing deal for the club in a few years. Having arguably the two best players in the world signed at right around 20% of the cap for the long haul is amazing.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad