Great Overtime Goals

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rather Gingerly 1*

south end super star said:
I suppose this has been done before but when i searched the archives it told me that nothing matched my search.
I am writing a hockey announcement for my girls hockey team, they one in overtime yesterday, and would like to reference some other great overtime goals
I was thinking Sittler in 76' on that Godzilla goalie
Lemieux's overtime winner in the second game of the 87' Canada Cup
Lecaviler's winner against the czech's
anyway I appreciate anthing any of you can think of...

cheers SESS

From a Habs standpoint:

1. Lambert's goal, May 10, '79 - Too many men game.
2. Strudland against the Flames, '86 Cup Final. Fastest suddendeath goal.
3. Robinson's first career goal in '73 Semis against the Flyers.
4. Lemeiux in Game 7 against the Whalers 1986.
5. John LeClair goal in Game 4 1993 Cup Finals in LA.

pld459666

Feb 27, 2002
Danbury, CT
for the sake of conversation

salis_rax said:
Brett Hull for the Dallas Stars in game 6, 1999.

Oh, wait. THAT WASN'T A GOAL. (Not that I'm bitter.)

From what I understood, the ruling read that a player could not enter the crease BEFORE the puck, but that if the puck had entered the semi-circle before a players skate then all was fair.

If that is correct, and I could be wrong, then the goal was good because Hull put home a rebound. The puck had gone into the crease, then the skate then the puck comes out of the crease area and hull slams it home.

The fact of the matter is that Hull had NO TIME between his skate entering the crease and the puck leaving the crease to then step out and push it home.

Once the puck then the skate are in the crease no one can predict what would happen next which is why the goal stood.

I am probably wrong, but I do believe that is how the rule was to be read.

Big Phil

Nov 2, 2003
Ah well it was a goal. Dallas was the better team anyways that year we all know that. Minus Hasek, Buffalo was about as good as the Minnesota Wild anyways. They've never won a Cup, never will either. Quit crying Sabres fans!

chooch*

Rather Gingerly 1 said:
From a Habs standpoint:

3. Robinson's first career goal in '73 Semis against the Flyers.

Yuk yuk; you remember that one; mideason call up; Frank yells shoot; Larry blows it by Favell to win in OT.

also:

Lafleur 1978 Finals Slapper short side on Cheevers.
Lemaire Cup winner 1977

Remember Wickenheiser v. minnesota in Regular Season 82 or 83?

Worst Habs memory: Dale......

se7en*

PurpleShamrock said:
Petr Klima's infamous 3OT goal in Game 1 on the 1990 Stanley Cup finals

That's my favourite overtime goal ever!! I just love the way it was executed, after Klimas first shift since regulation, and how late it was...that goal was magic for me.

pappyline

Jul 3, 2005
Mass/formerly Ont
The one I remember most was the Rocket against boston (I think it was 1958). what I remember most about it was frank selke predicting it before the overtime.

mcphee

Feb 6, 2003
Visit site
I vaguely remember a spring evening in 1979 when Serge Savard directed a puck towards the neutral zone, re-directed by Rejean Houle to Mario Tremblay who beat Al Sims to the outside, before delivering a cros crease pass to Yvon Lambert who had gotten behind Brad Park. Lambert then deposited the puck behind a valiant Gilles Gilbert. I have much too high a regard for Wally to mention this though.

Maybe Claude Provost's 1968 pass that Jean Beliveau wristed past Gerry Cheevers for the only ot goal of his career.

Maybe the goal that the Rocket scored preceding that famous photograph of Sugar Jim Henry shaking his hand.

jiggs 10

Dec 5, 2002
Hockeytown, ND
Visit site
Bobby Orr in 1970

Maurice Richard beating 'Sugar" Jim Henry while concussed and bleeding
Klima's OT goal after not skating in over 3 periods of play!
Stevie Y.'s blast past Jon Casey in '96 2 OT

kingpest19

Sep 21, 2004
As a Kings fan

Daryll Evans scoring the winner in the "Miracle on Manchester" against the Oilers in 82

Eric Belanger in 2001 in the "frenzy on Figeroa" capping a comeback from 3-0 against the Red Wings

And in that same year to clinch the series against the Red Wings was Adam Deadmarsh

chooch*

mcphee said:
I vaguely remember a spring evening in 1979 when Serge Savard directed a puck towards the neutral zone, re-directed by Rejean Houle to Mario Tremblay who beat Al Sims to the outside, before delivering a cros crease pass to Yvon Lambert who had gotten behind Brad Park. Lambert then deposited the puck behind a valiant Gilles Gilbert. I have much too high a regard for Wally to mention this though.

A few games later, G3 Finals Rangers Habs, OT Robinson steps into one and beats John Davidson from blueline but goal judge doesnt see it go in; after whistle Lafleur takes outlet from Lemaire carries puck up on one on one drops to Savard who uses Shutt as a decoy and beats Davidson glove side.

Only time I ever saw Savard smile or dance.

mcphee

Feb 6, 2003
Visit site
I'd have to look it up but I believe Serge Savard scored at least one ot goal in the 68 finals against St.Louis on hi sway to the Conn Smythe. Serge Savard has to be up there with the great 'what if' stories in hockey. People remember a great stay at home player, great anticiaption,smart etc. He had to re-invent himself as that type of player. He wasn't Orr like because no one was, but he was at the top of the next category, until the 2 broken legs.

chooch*

mcphee said:
I'd have to look it up but I believe Serge Savard scored at least one ot goal in the 68 finals against St.Louis on hi sway to the Conn Smythe. Serge Savard has to be up there with the great 'what if' stories in hockey. People remember a great stay at home player, great anticiaption,smart etc. He had to re-invent himself as that type of player. He wasn't Orr like because no one was, but he was at the top of the next category, until the 2 broken legs.

Youre right. What an intelligent guy too. Building that resort in Cuba recently.

His Richard slap story was before my time. Any background on it?

mcphee

Feb 6, 2003
Visit site
chooch said:
Youre right. What an intelligent guy too. Building that resort in Cuba recently.

His Richard slap story was before my time. Any background on it?
The way I remember the story is that there was some kind of incident that had the team pissed at the media. Savard suggested barring them from the room, Richard said that they were just doing their jobs, Savard countered that if Henri was so fond of them he could sleep with them[ sleep was Red Fisher's word], Richard slapped him. My thinking is that it stopped right there. That was probably an interesting moment in how the game was covered. I'm sure there were other incidents like that, but they didn't see the papers.

TOPGUN

I Am Terrible!
Jul 31, 2005
Holland
Igor "The Professor" Larionov

His 2nd goal against Carolina Hurricanes in the 3OT Stanley Cup final 2002

B-E-A-utiful goal
:bow:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events