Great Moments of the Not-So-Great Era?

Kohr

Mar 30, 2013
I've been wanting to ask this for a while, but wasn't sure exactly how to word it. MODs feel free to delete if this isn't thread worthy.

I was just curious as to everyone's favourite moment/game/highlight since the "rebuild" started. Obviously, there hasn't exactly been too much to get excited about. Though, if you had to pick some of the positive/fun moments that made you cheer over these past 8 years, what are they?

Examples:
Sam Gagner's 8 Point Night
Yakupov's Sliding Celebration
Omark's Shootout Spin-o-rama
Eberle's First NHL Goal

For the sake of thinking outside of the box, we'll ignore the most likely answer of "Drafting McDavid".

BlowbyBlow

Jan 22, 2011
When Lord of the rings; Ringmaster Kevin Lowe reminded us all that he knew a thing or two about winning.

It reinforced all my doubts and signified that rebuilds can take 5 years, 10 years, hell lets make it 20.

Aerrol

༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ
Sep 18, 2014
Winning the McDavid lottery was by far my favourite memory in since 2006. Totally unexpected, so much hype and rejoicing, and a restoration of hope in the team.

Other big moments already mentioned - Eberle's first goal, Gagner's 8 point night, Yakupov's rookie season in general but especially the sliding goal and McJesus scoring that amazing goal vs Columbus are all good.

I loved the HFBoards v MacT GDT for that terrible MacT presser last year.

One really small one that stands out for me - first time I saw Hall live, in his rookie season, he got on a breakaway, fired the puck on net, wrapped around, caught his own rebound and fired a second shot. I was speechless, even if he didn't score. Had never seen an Oiler do something that impressive before.

CornKicker

Holland is wrong..except all of the good things
Feb 18, 2005
i also enjoyed taylor halls first hat trick in Atlanta. pure dominance

duul

Jun 21, 2010
Yakupov's goal in the dying seconds against L.A. and him sliding across centre ice.

That whole last few minutes was epic.

Jepprey

Creeper
May 25, 2006
Loved Sammy snow pants 8 point night. That was a beautiful night. Still have it saved on my pvr. Hope to see another one of those nights again.

oil Leaks

The Ultimate Decoy
Jul 5, 2011
Winning the draft lottery twice (2012 & 2015)
Drafting Nail Yakupov
Preseason Paajarvi vs Tampa
Connor McDavid

The Head Crusher

Re-retired
Jan 3, 2008
Edmonton
Comrie's return to Edmonton, especially his first preseason game in Edmonton...4 assists and a fight.

Steve MacIntyre vs Raitis Ivanans (Ninja'd by McOylerz)

Dorian2

Define that balance
Jul 17, 2009
Edmonton
It was hiring Eakins. Nothin beats that one! It'll go into the same book as McDavids records when he starts beating them, although that 79 games with 5 or more points per game as an Oiler might be an tough one to catch from Gretz..

MinisterOfSinister

Aug 31, 2008
Might be a little longer than the last 8 years but Hemsky's goal with 3 seconds left against Dallas. I remember we were the top youtube video that week.

Came here to post this. Probably my biggest "no ****ing way that just happened" moment as a hockey fan.

*edit: Ferraro losing his mind on Stefan was epic as well. :laugh:

Senor Catface

Jul 25, 2006
Dallas Eakins fired.

Craig MacTavish fired.

Not even joking.

These two idiots put back the franchise years.

Mc5RingsAndABeer

5-14-6-1
May 25, 2011
Dallas Eakins fired.

Craig MacTavish fired.

Not even joking.

These two idiots put back the franchise years.

Yep. With all of the other stuff it was tough for me to be happy knowing that management had no idea what it was doing.

I heard that MacT went to go scout Laine in Finland but didn't realize that he was with the national team. It concerns me that something this important would be entrusted to someone as demonstrably incompetent as MacT.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad