Great Malkin documentary

Giskard

Jun 20, 2008
Alps
Thanks for sharing. I didn't know that he had 2 concussion. And a brother. And two amazing sculpture in front of his home. And that russians speaks so fast that I can't barely keep up with the subtitles. And that this thread is weird at least.

Anyway always love Geno.

Koempel

Mar 8, 2010
Leuven
Love Malkin! His is the only jersey I own besides Lemieux. You can see how much he loves hockey and he would do anything for both his country and the Penguins hockeywise. Yeah, he makes dumb decisions regarding his injuries, but ultimately its his career and that is just the way he is. With all the attentions Crosby gets, the Penguins lucked out with a superstar who doesn't mind being in someone's shadow. He also seems quite the personality.

WayneSid9987

Nov 24, 2009
Good stuff.

Especially the insight about the time he came over to the US.
Must've been a tough time for the kid but he wanted to play in the best league at that time.
The Russian Pro/KHL has certainly caught up since then.

Whale Mingo

Nov 18, 2012
This thread got ugly real fast. Hopefully all the Malkin ugliness stays in here for a while.

"Faking an injury to get out of training camp" get the **** out of here. Will fans of this team ever sto eating their own? :shakehead

It really isn't Malkin hate, I hope he wins another Conn Smythe trophy because that means we win another Cup, seriously. Opposite is true for me as well, if we win a Cup and the only line that scores is HBK I'm good with that as well.

The notion was posted that his commitment to the Pens could not be questioned, all I'm saying here is that it certainly can be.

Would I trade him? No. Do I want him on the team everyday? 100%

I do think him getting hurt at the end of the year creating the HBK line was a blessing in disguise because that line doesn't happen if Geno never goes out. I certainly don't want to see him dragging around two corpses of NHL players and pretending that is a viable line and think at some point if this season is going to end with us lifting a Cup it's gonna take Sid and/or Geno to step it up.

The Lightning are better than people think, but not better than us assuming we have everyone playing to their potential.

PensBandwagonerNo272*

Forgot About Sid
Sep 10, 2012
It really isn't Malkin hate, I hope he wins another Conn Smythe trophy because that means we win another Cup, seriously. Opposite is true for me as well, if we win a Cup and the only line that scores is HBK I'm good with that as well.

The notion was posted that his commitment to the Pens could not be questioned, all I'm saying here is that it certainly can be.

Would I trade him? No. Do I want him on the team everyday? 100%

I do think him getting hurt at the end of the year creating the HBK line was a blessing in disguise because that line doesn't happen if Geno never goes out. I certainly don't want to see him dragging around two corpses of NHL players and pretending that is a viable line and think at some point if this season is going to end with us lifting a Cup it's gonna take Sid and/or Geno to step it up.

The Lightning are better than people think, but not better than us assuming we have everyone playing to their potential.

The only thing we can know for sure Malkin is committed to is Comrade Влади́мир Влади́мирович Пу́тин (Putin) amirite

WayneSid9987

Nov 24, 2009
Has it, though?

Isn't the KHL in some trouble? Embargoes and oil baron money running dry.

I believe some teams on the outskirts are having trouble but they'll always remain a league now and they have a solid junior system developing/feeding the big clubs.

WooWooKennyWu*

Watched on my phone and didn't get any English subtitles. I still loved it anyway. Can't say I'd do that for any player.

His wife is a babe. Schwing!

MrBurghundy

I may be older but I'm never forgetting #47 & #41
Oct 5, 2009
I Love Scotch
Honestly, I don't think Malkin really half-***** anything. I just think he wears his emotions on his sleeve, and when things aren't going well for him or the team, he takes it harder than anybody else. That effects how he plays. On the reverse side, when things are going good for him and the team, you can really see the hop in his step and he does amazing things with the puck.

Half-assing it implies that he doesn't care, which I think is the furthest thing from the truth.

mrzeigler

.. but I'm not wrong
Sep 30, 2006
Pittsburgh
Maybe those nights he half ***** it out there and the lack of point production in the playoffs? Maybe jumping in a plane to play in the WC's the second we get eliminated?

Malkin would have scored exactly the same number of goals for the Pens post-elimination if he'd have stayed in Pittsburgh instead of going to the WC.

In related news, I wonder if your boss questions your dedication because you don't hang out at the office on weekends.

Bart9349

Jul 4, 2016

Remember to click on the subtitles.

An awesome documentary about Geno. Talks a lot about stuff he doesn't usually talk about (concussions, family, leaving Metallurg etc). Baffles me about how people can think this guy isn't passionate about Pittsburgh and hockey. We won't win a trade involving #71

Remember to click on the subtitles.[CC]

Thank you for sharing this great documentary.

Although it certainly has elements approaching propaganda, it should remind us that these players also proudly represent their home countries and communities of origin.

I really enjoyed the view from a Russian perspective of the city of Pittsburgh and the Penguins.

Recommend highly.

List of people appearing on-screen (In order of appearance):

Evgeni Malkin
Anna Kasterova
Vladislav Tretiak: three-time Olympic champion and the president of the Ice Hockey Federation of Russia
Sidney Crosby
Sergei Gimaev: honoured coach of Russia
Vladimir Putin
Natalia Malkina: Geno's mother
Vladimir Malkin: Geno's father
Sergei Vitman
Vladimir Petrov: two-time Olympic champion
Gennadi Ushakov: Geno's agent
Marc-André Fleury
Sergei Gonchar
Mike Sullivan

Heard off-screen:

Paul Steigerwald
Mike Lange

I love the lifelike sculptures of Ovechkin and Kuznetsov at 17:25.

Last edited:

Sjoelbak

Oct 5, 2015
Leiden, Netherlands
Or maybe it's important to them. Lord knows I do some stupid American conferences sometimes just to go home and speak English with people who speak fluent American English, see my family, and remember how it felt living in my native country.

People should try living abroad sometime. No matter how much money you make, there's lots of things about it that suck. Most expats last about 10 months abroad here and then catch the first flight they can find home as soon as their contracts are up. And Prague is an insanely great city.

Handshake, I wanted to send you a pm on something Prague-related, but your inbox is full...

Human

cynic
Jan 22, 2011
Bandwagon
Maybe those nights he half ***** it out there and the lack of point production in the playoffs? Maybe jumping in a plane to play in the WC's the second we get eliminated?

Faking injuries to avoid training camp?

You are right, we won't win a trade involving him, which is why we will keep him, but ask yourself the following, had he not got hurt toward the end of the season would we still be playing right now?

you know he had one less point than Crosby these past playoffs, right?

edit: nvm, I just noticed the date of the thread...

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad