Great Malkin documentary

Whale Mingo

Nov 18, 2012
Baffles me about how people can think this guy isn't passionate about Pittsburgh and hockey.

Maybe those nights he half ***** it out there and the lack of point production in the playoffs? Maybe jumping in a plane to play in the WC's the second we get eliminated?

Faking injuries to avoid training camp?

You are right, we won't win a trade involving him, which is why we will keep him, but ask yourself the following, had he not got hurt toward the end of the season would we still be playing right now?

vodeni

Oct 27, 2010
Pittsburgh
Maybe those nights he half ***** it out there and the lack of point production in the playoffs? Maybe jumping in a plane to play in the WC's the second we get eliminated?

You are right, we won't win a trade involving him, which is why we will keep him, but ask yourself the following, had he not got hurt toward the end of the season would we still be playing right now?

top five post of all time. congrats:handclap::handclap::handclap::handclap:

High Flying Birds

Aug 29, 2009
Victoria, B.C

I'd love to see Kopitar, Tavares or Toews do playoff hockey with Kunitz and Fehr. Or any center. Geno has to conjure up a miracle just for a decent shot on the net with those two.

Whale Mingo

Nov 18, 2012
I'd love to see Kopitar, Tavares or Toews do playoff hockey with Kunitz and Fehr. Or any center. Geno has to conjure up a miracle just for a decent shot on the net with those two.

I don't disagree, but the question was about his commitment to Penguins hockey and I think it can easily be questioned.

Doesn't mean he isn't a world class player, when he wants to be. I just think, it appears anyway, there are a lot of times he isn't all in. Game 5, despite his linemates, would be one of those times.

TorstenFrings

lebenslang gruenweiss
Apr 25, 2012
Bremen

Leaving aside the rest of this rant, I gotta say, that just in general, I am not getting this ******** on players for going to the WC at all. Ovi is getting it now too and what's the point? Is there some benefit to him sitting at home crying instead?

BTW, did Crosby get this as badly last year? Or is this another of those "LOL, Russians are so weird" things?

Whale Mingo

Nov 18, 2012
Leaving aside the rest of this rant, I gotta say, that just in general, I am not getting this ******** on players for going to the WC at all. Ovi is getting it now too and what's the point? Is there some benefit to him sitting at home crying instead?

BTW, did Crosby get this as badly last year? Or is this another of those "LOL, Russians are so weird" things?

Actually, there is no reason for them not to go in reality. Perception is reality sometimes and when they jump a plane less than 12 hours after being eliminated it gives the appearance of not caring so much. The fans (who are owed nothing but do pay the paychecks) are left to deal with the loss they are emotionally invested in and a star player is off on a private plane to play in another tournament.

They do risk injury and it does put more miles on them, but in the big picture it probably doesn't matter, but I do think it "looks" bad.

Call me betty*

Sheary Baggins
Nov 8, 2015

i got one thing to tell you. Look at who he's playing with. Kunitz is literally walking cancer right now. Everything he touches turns to ****, He was killing Crosby when he played on his line and now he's doing the same to Geno.

TorstenFrings

lebenslang gruenweiss
Apr 25, 2012
Bremen
Actually, there is no reason for them not to go in reality. Perception is reality sometimes and when they jump a plane less than 12 hours after being eliminated it gives the appearance of not caring so much. The fans (who are owed nothing but do pay the paychecks) are left to deal with the loss they are emotionally invested in and a star player is off on a private plane to play in another tournament.

They do risk injury and it does put more miles on them, but in the big picture it probably doesn't matter, but I do think it "looks" bad.

Maybe people deal with things differently. Maybe the distraction actually helps with getting over the loss. Maybe the guy you didn't hear about was on a plane to Cancun twelve hours later.

I think it's great when a guy goes and plays for his country instead of only playing when gets paid the big bucks. Maybe the WC means a little more to Europeans, IDK, I grew up watching that, the Olympics and DEG vs. Haie. Only got into the NHL way later. Maybe that shapes my thinking here.

Whale Mingo

Nov 18, 2012
i got one thing to tell you. Look at who he's playing with. Kunitz is literally walking cancer right now. Everything he touches turns to ****, He was killing Crosby when he played on his line and now he's doing the same to Geno.

Again, that wasn't my point and I agree with the observation. The point was made about the documentary sealing his commitment to Penguins hockey, which I think can be questioned.

Not trying to make any other point.

HandshakeLine

A real jerk thing
Nov 9, 2005
Praha, CZ
Or maybe it's important to them. Lord knows I do some stupid American conferences sometimes just to go home and speak English with people who speak fluent American English, see my family, and remember how it felt living in my native country.

People should try living abroad sometime. No matter how much money you make, there's lots of things about it that suck. Most expats last about 10 months abroad here and then catch the first flight they can find home as soon as their contracts are up. And Prague is an insanely great city.

mgd525

May 18, 2007
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=twZ4-ptwHTk

An awesome documentary about Geno. Talks a lot about stuff he doesn't usually talk about (concussions, family, leaving Metallurg etc). Baffles me about how people can think this guy isn't passionate about Pittsburgh and hockey. We won't win a trade involving #71

Their are some things you can seriously question him on. The most obvious and can't be disputed one is why he's been a center in the NHL for 10 years and can't even be descent at taking a faceoff. It seriously blows my ****ing mind. Don't tell me someone that big, strong, and his hands can't learn to take a faceoff.

Penguinator

Kesselator
Sep 17, 2014
Space
At around 17:35 -- Malkin has Alien and Predator sculptures in front of his Pittsburgh home. So funny.

I'd pay a lot for that Alien sculpture but Geno seems rather possessive (see stick story). :laugh:

This (slightly hyped) story of a man who wants to win at all cost was... erh, as culturally entertaining as it was maddening a couple of times but hey, the guy is crazy for hockey.

Pittsburgh1776

Aug 9, 2010
He's not the player he once was as far electric offense maybe, but he's also not the player he once was emotionally or temper-wise either. I've never seen him so composed as he's been this season. And the same goes for Crosby and Letang since Sullivan was brought in.

I just think it's ridiculous that some people still question his commitment to the game and to the team, when that really has been perhaps the only constant in his career so far. This is a player who wanted to play 4 months after knee surgery (who didn't even want to get the surgery if he could avoid it), a guy who constantly comes back early and plays when he probably should not. I question his (and Letang's) decisions and smarts at times but they've more than made up for those mistakes I'd say.

Look at all the hardware he's won, the major impact he had in getting the cup in 09, yeah he's been underwhelming in recent years but he's also a player that has been through a lot injury-wise and he'll be 30; his style of play has never been a soft perimeter finesse game.

Burgs

Sep 10, 2005
Or maybe it's important to them. Lord knows I do some stupid American conferences sometimes just to go home and speak English with people who speak fluent American English, see my family, and remember how it felt living in my native country.

When you're European and born before 1990 you grew up as a player or fan with the World Championships being the biggest hockey event of the year. Probably even more so to Russians who I guess are still somewhat living in their glorious past when it comes to hockey success.

People should try living abroad sometime. No matter how much money you make, there's lots of things about it that suck. Most expats last about 10 months abroad here and then catch the first flight they can find home as soon as their contracts are up. And Prague is an insanely great city.

Prague is pretty awesome. From all the European capitals I've been to it has the unfriendliest people, though. Well maybe I'm just unlucky. ;)

hooverdam

Feb 21, 2013
This thread got ugly real fast. Hopefully all the Malkin ugliness stays in here for a while.

"Faking an injury to get out of training camp" get the **** out of here. Will fans of this team ever sto eating their own? :shakehead

Harv

R.I.P. Pavol.
Dec 30, 2007
Amazing video. Probably the best insight into Malkins life.

Interesting they showed him with the brace on his arm. I thought the Pens PR machine wouldn't allowed that.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad