Great Junior linemates who became great in the NHL

nuck

Schrodingers Cat
Aug 18, 2005
I am looking at Gagner and Kane and wondering about this. I can think of a whole bunch who weren't but who are some teammates that carried their excellence from Juniors to the NHL in the last 20 years?

FissionFire

Dec 22, 2006
Las Vegas, NV
www.redwingscentral.com
Well, it's not exactly Juniors but the first line I can think of that play together as kids and starred in the NHL was:

Pavel Bure - Sergei Fedorov - Alexander Mogilny

They were playing together as teenagers IIRC so you could say that essentially they were linemates as Juniors.

DRL

Mar 2, 2003
Brampton, Ontario
ray whitney and pat falloon were dynamic linemates i believe. funny how falloon was the higher draft pick and whitney had a much stronger career.

Jimmypop316

Jun 21, 2005
ray whitney and pat falloon were dynamic linemates i believe. funny how falloon was the higher draft pick and whitney had a much stronger career.

that is true... too bad things didn't pan out for Falloon

hdw

Jul 9, 2006
Stockholm
naslund and forsberg?
Wasn't it about playing well together as juniors and continued to play well together as seniors?

Näslund and Forsberg hasn't played much together on top level.
And the times they have played together they've on different lines most of the time.

Reilly*

Jeff 'O Neil and Todd Bertuzzi.

Bryan McCabe and Valeri Bure

Mirinho

Jan 23, 2007
Robert Reichel, Robert Lang, Martin Ručinský ... I know they aren't from one line, but they were class mates, when they were on basic school :yo:

ozzie

Aug 3, 2005
Australia
Federov, Mogilny and Bure are a great example, they were supposed to be the next KLM super Russian line.

Would of been interesting to see what they could do as a unit if they had been kept together, other then the 2 of them in Vancouver for a down period.

LyleOdelein

Aug 3, 2005
Renfrew
I know it doesn't qualify as excellence but Mike Ribeiro and Pierre Dagenais had an amazing year playing together in junior. They had a bit of chemistry playing together for a season and a half in Montreal.

Bookman

Feb 27, 2002
frozen north
Visit site
Steve Payne and Bob Smith - junior linemates in Ottawa and in in the NHL in Minnesota. Tim Higgins had a decent career in his own right.

Laurie Boschman and Brian Propp - add Bill Derlago and Brad McCrimmon and you have one high octane Wheat Kings team.

VanNistelrooy

Jun 15, 2005
Habs Land
Lecavalier - Richards
Perrin - St-Louis
Ribeiro - Dagenais :sarcasm:

I would like to see someday a

Roussin - MA Pouliot - Bernier line again. This line in midget were simply the best I've ever seen.

The Viking Fury

Nov 28, 2005
Kris Beech and Matt Pettinger

:sarcasm:

well Petty has been good for the Caps. Beech has been very forgetable everywhere he's been except Hershey in 2006

Gwyddbwyll

Dec 24, 2002
I think Stajan, Wellwood and Radivojevic played for the same team in juniors but I'm not sure of the lines.

nuck

Schrodingers Cat
Aug 18, 2005
Well, it's not exactly Juniors but the first line I can think of that play together as kids and starred in the NHL was:

Pavel Bure - Sergei Fedorov - Alexander Mogilny

They were playing together as teenagers If I recall correctly so you could say that essentially they were linemates as Juniors.

I don't remember which ones, but two of these guys never played on the same line. Also they did not have their big years together. Fedorov wasn't a star until after Mogs went to Buffalo and Bure was younger and didn't take off until both these guys were gone. What I am looking for is signs of how often Junior linemates light it up and then continue to do so in the NHL. Clarke-Leach and Lysiak-McDonald are pretty good examples but I was wondering about more recent players.
I knew Richards and Lecavalier were both Rimouski but they are both centers and I don't know that they played together in 97-98.

"Bookman - Steve Payne and Bob Smith - junior linemates in Ottawa and in in the NHL in Minnesota. Tim Higgins had a decent career in his own right.

Laurie Boschman and Brian Propp - add Bill Derlago and Brad McCrimmon and you have one high octane Wheat Kings team."

Monster Junior players but Propp carried Allison like Savard carried Denis Cyr. Derlago had as much talent as Propp but something happened, and he disappeared in 1985. I can't really call that a successful duo in the bigs. Him and Boschman both had a few pretty good years but three seasons of solid hockey isn't really translated Junior stardom the way it was for Propp. Boschman's 83-84 season where he was on a pace for 95 points and 300 penalty minutes is an eye opener but he never really showed that kind of game again. I barely remember him that year but that could have been because there were 15 or so 100 point men so his year didn't stand out the way it would today.

The linemate thing really helps to hide a player's deficiencies. Even with the guys who never had big NHL careers look at how many big junior stars parlayed that success into a high draft position only to be exposed as the Warren Young of their
line once they graduated. There is no reason why two Junior linrmates can't step up and become two NHL stars. I hope Gagner and Kane both make it.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad