Great Hockey Photos You've Just Seen for the First Time!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Robert Gordon Orr

Dec 3, 2009
cut.jpg

1951 – High flying Ted Lindsay against goalie Gerry McNeil while Butch Bouchard (C) is on the ice

pg_141.jpg

1960s - West Bromwich (England) native Thomas Sutton “Tommy” Nayler [1904-1981] was considered to be one of the best skate sharpeners in the world for many years. Here he is trying to fix Carl Brewer’s skate. Nayler was also the skate sharpener for Team Canada at the 1972 Summit Series

page_172.jpg

1965-67 - Five future Hall-of-Famers: Allan Stanley (taping his stick), King Clancy, Tim Horton, Marcel Pronovost and Terry Sawchuk

lMPebbiK6fA.jpg

January 10, 1967 – Fran Huck (# 9) scoring on a breakaway against goalie Viktor Konovalenko while defenseman Aleksandr Ragulin helplessly looks on

cut.jpg

January 24 or March 6, 1968 - Tim Horton (# 7) chased by Ed Hoekstra (# 18)

Roger-Crozier-Sabres-e1522844142989.jpg

January 15, 1972 - Roger Crozier (# 1) and rookie Guy Lafleur (# 10) in only his 37th NHL game, battling it out with Chris Evans (# 24)

8046b94ad883.jpg

1973 – Bruce Gamble admiring his mask and we’re admiring his sideburns

8ed4b9b16f5d.jpg

1976 ca – The Werewolf – Philadelphia’s own Jerome Mrazek

I4VQcdDxytg.jpg

December 16, 1976 - Face-off between Sweden’s Per-Olov Brasar (# 22) and the Soviet player Vladimir Repnev (# 24). Brasar’s red skates are so awful that even the linesman have to turn away

fae9a2effd4f.jpg

1978-80 ca - Gilles Meloche

i81yrAitBFU.jpg

May 2, 1983
– Brian Engblom (# 9) blocking a shot "frog style" from Helmuts Balderis (# 19). Also in the photo Tim Watters (# 8) and Bob Gainey (# 23)

teen-jimmy-carson-bennett.jpg

December 9, 1986 – Rookie Jimmy Carson in his 29th NHL game battling it out with Ken Leiter (# 29)

mDRzenxysOg.jpg

September 15, 1987 - Vladimir Krutov vs Grant Fuhr

ct-blackhawks-spt-1208-20141207

March 25, 2014 - Andrew Shaw (# 65) leaping over Jordie Benn (# 24)

cdb6f7e0cba2.jpg

April 28, 2018 - Dainius Zubrus (# 8), age 39 and Darius Kasparaitis (# 11), age 45, celebrating Lithuania’s promotion from the Division 1 B World Championships

Killion

Feb 19, 2010
Masterpiece of a post there RGO!... Ive only seen a couple of those before. Very rare. Not widely circulated... Brasars' red skates, bizarre. They appear to be early "Tuuk like" plastic chassis system & I guess the manufacturer decided to make a splash in dying them red. Drawing attention them huh?..... Absolutely love the photo's of Bruce Gamble, Brewer having his skates looked at by the legendary Tommy Nayler.... Those dressing room shots, Pronovost sucking on a cigarette etc.... and those live action shots, Lindsay in flight... Fran Huck a guy I was always intrigued by, interesting player...the whole lot really.... fabulous! :nod:

Reactions: SealsFan

Canadiens1958

Nov 30, 2007
Lake Memphremagog, QC.
Patro Le Prévost on St. Dominique St in Montreal.Demolished and replaced by the St.Louis Arena in the 1970s.
000AncPatroPrevost.jpg
Built in the early 1920s. Outdoor rink is visible to the left. Off season the corner was modified to serve as a baseball backstop. First floor was the gymnasium, second floor was the game room, third floor was the brothers' residence and rooms for the needy.

Last edited:

Tarantula

Hanging around the web
Aug 31, 2017
GTA
Nice RGO, Re: Gilles Meloche, always love action shots of goalies 40 and plus years ago, especially with the puck in the air!

Who doesn't like those 'burns Gamble is sporting? Other then my Dad who back in the day did not like a 17 yr old me rocking the same look, though I was only moderately aware of Bruce. :D.

Killion

Feb 19, 2010
Patro Le Prévost on St. Dominique St in Montreal.Demolished and replaced by the St.Louis Arena in the 1970s.View attachment 122575 Built in the early 1920s. Outdoor rink is visible to the left. Off season the corner was modified to serve as a baseball backstop. First floor was the gymnasium, second floor was the game room, third floor was the brothers' residence and rooms for the needy.

...... and where was the bowling alley C58? Read somewhere it had a 9 pin. :P ... place burned down in 77 did it not? Electrical fire... All boys til 69.... and yes, all kinds of activities, baseball & hockey included, boxing, bands, arts & crafts etc etc.... A community center & hangout, healthy environment. Kept a lot of kids out of trouble & set them on the right path, no doubt more than a few onto Junior, University & or pro hockey etc.

Last edited:
Reactions: Canadiens1958

Canadiens1958

Nov 30, 2007
Lake Memphremagog, QC.
...... and where was the bowling alley C58? Read somewhere it had a 9 pin. :P ... place burned down in 77 did it not? Electrical fire... All boys til 69.... and yes, all kinds of activities, baseball & hockey included, boxing, bands, arts & crafts etc etc.... A community center & hangout, healthy environment. Kept a lot of kids out of trouble & set them on the right path, no doubt more than a few onto Junior, University & or pro hockey etc.

After many renovations and upgrades, 1977 fire forced a move to a new location on Christoph Colomb in the Villeray district. Old center had one makeshift bowling alley.

000ancpatroprevost2feu1977.jpg

Reactions: Killion

pappyline

Jul 3, 2005
Mass/formerly Ont
RGO, those are great pics. That one of Ed Hoekstra brings back memories. I used to watch Hamilton Tiger Cubs on the OHA JR A games on CHCH Hamilton back when I was a kid and followed the ST Catherines Teepees. Hoeksta was centre on a line with Pie Mackenize and Matt Ravlich on the wings. In 56-57 Hoekstra & Mackenize both outscored Bobby Hull who went up to the NHL the next season. In 57-59 I believe that the Mackenize/Hoekstra/ Ravlich line finished 1-2-3 in OHA scoring. Mackenize, of course went on to a great NHL career. Ravlich converted to defense and had a decent NHL career. Hoekstra never made it until age 30 in the 67-68 NHL expansion season. He only lasted the one year despite decent numbers. He had one more Major league season and that was at age 35 in the WHA. I always followed his career with interest because of watching him in junior. He had a brother Cec who played a little bit in the NHL.

Killion

Feb 19, 2010
RGO, those are great pics. That one of Ed Hoekstra brings back memories. I used to watch Hamilton Tiger Cubs on the OHA JR A games on CHCH Hamilton back when I was a kid and followed the ST Catherines Teepees. Hoeksta was centre on a line with Pie Mackenize and Matt Ravlich on the wings. In 56-57 Hoekstra & Mackenize both outscored Bobby Hull who went up to the NHL the next season. In 57-59 I believe that the Mackenize/Hoekstra/ Ravlich line finished 1-2-3 in OHA scoring. Mackenize, of course went on to a great NHL career. Ravlich converted to defense and had a decent NHL career. Hoekstra never made it until age 30 in the 67-68 NHL expansion season. He only lasted the one year despite decent numbers. He had one more Major league season and that was at age 35 in the WHA. I always followed his career with interest because of watching him in junior. He had a brother Cec who played a little bit in the NHL.

Ya, I remember the Hoekstra brothers along with the Stratton brothers, Art in particular... all Winnipeg boys, playing for the Tee Pee's at various times (some of whom had also played for the Winnipeg Barons of the MJHL, a team owned by Eddie Shore). The Blackhawks had some great depth in both St Catherines with the Tee Pee's & Dixie with the Jr.B Beehives as you'd well know.

And while guys like Mikita & Hull went on to become living legends at the NHL level there were a considerable number of former Tee Pee's (and Bee Hives) who went on to have decent enough to excellent NHL (McKenzie as you mention, Denis Dejordy etc) careers, others who had lengthy & in some cases outstanding Minor-Pro careers... and that would include the aforementioned Art Stratton, a Superstar in his own right in the AHL through the early 60's (still holds the record for most PT's in an AHL Game with 9, all Assists, inducted into the AHL HOF a few yrs ago).

Cec Hoekstra meanwhile, while big, apparently didnt have that "killer instinct". Wasnt a mean bone in his body & that I'm afraid held him back though he did enjoy a fairly lengthy Minor Pro career.... And ya, CHCH TV, initially a CBC affiliate when it aired in 54 broadcast games from the old Barton Street Forum, home of the Hamilton Red Wings, Detroit's Junior club. Every Thursday evening or close to it... play x play by Norm Marshall who also called the Hamilton Tiger Cats CFL games on radio in the 50's & 60's....

pappyline

Jul 3, 2005
Mass/formerly Ont
Ya, I remember the Hoekstra brothers along with the Stratton brothers, Art in particular... all Winnipeg boys, playing for the Tee Pee's at various times (some of whom had also played for the Winnipeg Barons of the MJHL, a team owned by Eddie Shore). The Blackhawks had some great depth in both St Catherines with the Tee Pee's & Dixie with the Jr.B Beehives as you'd well know.

And while guys like Mikita & Hull went on to become living legends at the NHL level there were a considerable number of former Tee Pee's (and Bee Hives) who went on to have decent enough to excellent NHL (McKenzie as you mention, Denis Dejordy etc) careers, others who had lengthy & in some cases outstanding Minor-Pro careers... and that would include the aforementioned Art Stratton, a Superstar in his own right in the AHL through the early 60's (still holds the record for most PT's in an AHL Game with 9, all Assists, inducted into the AHL HOF a few yrs ago).

Cec Hoekstra meanwhile, while big, apparently didnt have that "killer instinct". Wasnt a mean bone in his body & that I'm afraid held him back though he did enjoy a fairly lengthy Minor Pro career.... And ya, CHCH TV, initially a CBC affiliate when it aired in 54 broadcast games from the old Barton Street Forum, home of the Hamilton Red Wings, Detroit's Junior club. Every Thursday evening or close to it... play x play by Norm Marshall who also called the Hamilton Tiger Cats CFL games on radio in the 50's & 60's....

Yes, I remember Norm Marshall doing the play by play of those Tiger Cub games. Where I lived we could only pull in about 3 TV channels. CBC Toronto, CBC Barrie, and CHCH Hamilton though CHCH was a bit snowy at times. I remember my older brother rigging up a clothes hangar to pull in the broadcast of the Detroit Red Wings Sunday night games on the radio (he was a big RW fan).

There is a long list of TeePee alumni who went on to the Pros, Other names that come to mind are Espo, Maki, Hadfield, The Cullen brothers etc. etc. I also remember Murray Oliver and Carl Wetzel of the Tiger Cubs. The 50's were truly the golden age of junior hockey. I didn't like it when they started using their parent clubs nicknames. I liked it when it was the TeePees, Tiger Cubs, Marlboros, St. Mikes, Flyers, Biltmores etc.

I wish there where more people on those forums who saw old time hockey. It is just you, C58, myself and maybe one or 2 others. There used to be a poster called Peter9 who remembers hockey from the early 50's. He stopped posting a couple of years ago. I think one of the know-it-all young bucks may have insulted him.

Robert Gordon Orr

Dec 3, 2009

January 9, 1938 – Blackhawks "emergency" room - Johnny Gottselig (left) taking heat treatment for a swollen knee by trainer Eddie Froelich. Pete Palangio (middle) is down with a shoulder injury and Dr. R. W. Meacham inspects the stitches over the eye of Doc Romnes

a164700.jpg

1940s – I’m sure we’ve seen this one before, but it’s still a nice shot of a young Jacques Plante

Chuck-Rayner.jpg

1950-53 ca - Chuck Rayner (# 1) catching the puck while Elmer Lach (A) looks on

October 22, 1957 - This was Bobby Hull’s 7th NHL game ever and the game where he scored his first NHL goal. Bobby Hull (# 16) dances his way around Larry Hillman (# 22) behind the Boston net. Allan Stanley (far left) is getting ready to intercept Hull. Goalie Don Simmons (# 1) glances over his shoulder

GerryJames.jpg

1958-60 – Pierre Pilote (# 3) upending Gerry James while Glenn Hall (# 1) safely blocks the puck. A part of Bobby Hull is seen behind Pilote

33c88152687f.jpg

March 12, 1965 – American goalie Tom Haugh [1943-2017] is “Blind - fumbling in the dark”, mocking the Soviet referee Andrei Starovoïtov [1915-1997]

2LarryMickey1969.jpg

April 3, 1969 – Don Awrey (# 26) getting the best of Larry Mickey (# 12) in a fight

bf80e5a630767b1e0ac85126981ecea7.jpg

December 16, 1973 – Barry Cummins (# 4) in his 8th NHL game tangling with Bobby Orr (# 4), while Bob Champoux is in goal for his 6th NHL game ever

Vachon-and-Ferguson.jpg

1974-76 – Bob Murdoch - Rogie Vachon (# 30) and George Ferguson (# 10)

Bernie_Wolfe-B_Bennett_Getty_Images_Sport.0.jpg

1975-78 – Bernie Wolfe slides well

00-John-Davidson.jpg

1977/78 – John Davidson wearing the 00 jersey

11314204.jpg

1983 ca – What if? – Vladislav Tretiak in a Canadian uniform and Wayne Gretzky in a Soviet. Unfortunately a poor quality photo

Mike_Ramsey1rotate_large.jpg

1986-88 - Mike Ramsey (airborne Sabres player) after a collision with Bruins Reed Larson (#28). Goalie Doug Keans tries to follow the puck through the traffic

FolignoFauss.jpg

February 5, 1988 - Mike Foligno (# 17) is sent flying by Ted Fauss (# 34). Fauss only went on to play another five games in the NHL

December 30, 2008 - Chris Chelios in his 1619th NHL game, showing Ben Eager who the boss is

Killion

Feb 19, 2010
Very interesting piece there @James Laverance .... who is it thats playing, and what is that? A lithograph? Re-touched photo? Hard to tell the date just looking at it as the qualities pretty grainy but they do appear to be wearing one piece boot & blade skates as opposed to snap or clip-on's, yer olde Cheese Cutter's, Long Pond Specials. So that along with the sticks & the rest of their gear, Goalie wearing Cricket pads etc.... late 1880's or 1890's maybe? Later?...

Killion

Feb 19, 2010
..... also..... more fabulous rarities from @Robert Gordon Orr..... Seeing Allan Stanley in a Bruins uniform a bit strange to these old eyes. In many cases when a player goes on to success elsewhere, overshadowing his formative years in the NHL elsewhere, then winning a Cup or 4 or whatever, becoming in some ways to a generation a somewhat iconic figure can be "jarring". Incredibly long career starting in 1943 with the old Boston Olympics followed by the Providence Reds, almo9st a lifetime with NY Rangers including a bit of time in Vancouver with the old WHL Canucks; then 2 years in Chicago & 2 years with the Bruins before joining the Leafs where he played for another lifetime, winning 4 Cups, partnered with the late great Tim Horton as most are aware. Final season was 69 with the Flyers.... went on to very successfully run the Bee Hive Hockey School up in Bobcaygeon (Muskoka Ontario) for 20yrs thereafter. Died a few years ago at like 86 or something.

Reactions: SealsFan

James Laverance

Feb 12, 2013
Very interesting piece there @James Laverance .... who is it thats playing, and what is that? A lithograph? Re-touched photo? Hard to tell the date just looking at it as the qualities pretty grainy but they do appear to be wearing one piece boot & blade skates as opposed to snap or clip-on's, yer olde Cheese Cutter's, Long Pond Specials. So that along with the sticks & the rest of their gear, Goalie wearing Cricket pads etc.... late 1880's or 1890's maybe? Later?...

I found this out of the El Paso Herald describing a game played at the old St.Nicholas Rink, New York in 1911...

Killion

Feb 19, 2010
I found this out of the El Paso Herald describing a game played at the old St.Nicholas Rink, New York in 1911...

Huh. Very interesting. That paper which began publishing in like 1881 morphed into the Herald-Post in 1922. Wonder why a paper out of Texas would be running a picture of a bunch of hockey players.... maybe the novelty of it. Still relatively a new indoor game so probably that. Novelty shot & story....

Reactions: James Laverance

Killion

Feb 19, 2010
^^^ Nice one DB, nice to be reminded of Tom Lysiak.... Excellent player who went 2nd in his Draft year of 1973 behind Denis Potvin. Total Points Machine in Junior with Medicine Hat playing with Lanny McDonald & Stan Weir. And if you can imagine Montreal who had the 2nd Pick in 73 traded it for Futures after Scotty Bowman spoke to Lysiak asking him how he'd like to play in Montreal & Tom told him he wouldnt. Apparently he felt that as an Anglophone, english, wouldnt get a fair shake. Actually wanted to go to Atlanta. Expansion team. US based. At anyrate, gritty, gutsy player to go with the playmaking & scoring touch. Excellent 2 way player. Then that big blockbuster trade that saw him heading to Chicago.... Sadly died a couple of years ago at just 63 of Leukemia.

Reactions: DowntownBooster

DowntownBooster

Jun 21, 2011
Winnipeg
^^^ Nice one DB, nice to be reminded of Tom Lysiak.... Excellent player who went 2nd in his Draft year of 1973 behind Denis Potvin. Total Points Machine in Junior with Medicine Hat playing with Lanny McDonald & Stan Weir. And if you can imagine Montreal who had the 2nd Pick in 73 traded it for Futures after Scotty Bowman spoke to Lysiak asking him how he'd like to play in Montreal & Tom told him he wouldnt. Apparently he felt that as an Anglophone, english, wouldnt get a fair shake. Actually wanted to go to Atlanta. Expansion team. US based. At anyrate, gritty, gutsy player to go with the playmaking & scoring touch. Excellent 2 way player. Then that big blockbuster trade that saw him heading to Chicago.... Sadly died a couple of years ago at just 63 of Leukemia.

Was not aware that he didn't want to play in Montreal. It would appear that he made the right choice in advising Bowman as it would have been tough to try and stand out in such an established roster. It took Guy Lafleur a few years before he found his wings with the Habs. Another tidbit about Lysiak was that when he was drafted by Atlanta in 1973 he was also drafted the same year by the Houston Aeros in the WHA Amateur Draft (2nd round # 23 overall). Sad to hear that Lysiak passed away a couple of years ago as he was one of my favorite players from that era. Time goes too fast.

Robert Gordon Orr

Dec 3, 2009
ArmstrongCullen.JPG

February 16, 1958 – Good old hockey scrap - Bob Pulford (# 20) – Billy McNeill (# 21) – Brian Cullen (# 18)

January 17, 1959
– This was a televised game between Chicago and New York. Chicago’s Danny Lewicki (right) is pinned against the New York goal by Rangers' Jimmy Bartlett, whose sleeve is visible under the right armpit of linesman George Hayes (# 9)

e011161488.jpg

January 17, 1960 – Jean-Guy Gendron (# 23) tripping over Jacques Plante (# 1).
This was the 30th game that Plante wore a face mask

RonStewartHOLDING.jpg

1963-65 - Ron Stewart (# 12) in a hard battle and cleverly holding the stick of Dean Prentice (# 17)

Action.jpg

1966/67 – Pete Mahovlich (# 11) – Roger Crozier (# 1) - Larry Jeffrey (# 15) – Leo Boivin (# 4) and Bob Pulford (# 20)

%D0%91%D0%B5%D1%86%2B%D0%98%D0%B2%D0%B0%D0%BD%D0%BE%D0%B2%2B%D0%A6%D1%8B%D0%B3%D1%83%D1%80%D0%BE%D0%B2.jpg

1960s - Soviet goalie (Traktor Chelyabinsk) Viktor Ivanov [1938-2005] with a cool mask

DTa8h3tWAAAHbOS.jpg

1970s – Hail Cesare ! – Cesare Maniago concentrating

autographed-mike-palmateer-8x10-photo-toronto-maple-leafs212-t7440272-1875.jpg

1970s – Mike Palmateer “The Popcorn Kid” leaping into the air

canadiens-nordiques.jpg

March 29, 1984 – Battle of Quebec

43517.jpg

1987/88 – Jimmy Carson (# 17) faceoff vs Mark Messier (# 11)

GettyImages-99994356.jpg

October 16, 1991 – Pierre Turgeon (# 77) only played two more games for Buffalo as he was traded to NY Islanders nine days later. Roland Melanson (# 1) went on to only play eight more games in the NHL. The other guy in the photo is Eric Desjardins (# 28)

tumblr_m9u7rdRWGd1qm9rypo1_1280.jpg

1996 – Former teammates - Luc Robitaille (# 20) slamming Jaromir Jagr (# 68) into the boards

December 14, 2006 - Peter Bondra (# 12) colliding with Chris Chelios (# 24). Tomas Kopecky (# 28) is in the background

GettyImages-520343014.0.jpg

April 10, 2016 – Radko Gudas (# 3) sending Bracken Kearns (# 38) flying

878651156.jpg.0.jpg

January 7, 2018 – Carl Hagelin (# 62) – Kris Letang (# 58) - Charlie McAvoy (# 73) – Jake DeBrusk (# 74) - Matt Murray (# 30)

Killion

Feb 19, 2010
Wooooo. Very edgy set of shots. Nice job Chief! Rare as well. Cullen etc. That Maniago mask as well, seriously Bent. Very menacing & underrated. Interesting piece of work as was Cesare himself. Very enigmatic Goaltender, individual. I would have to say that quite possibly the most unfulfilled Goaltender in the history of the position. Resilient yes, but just looked upon askance by Coaches, Management who failing themselves took the easy way out in blaming the Goalie, Maniago.

Big guy for his era & as a result, remember this at a time when if you were big, skater or goalie as shocking as it may be for modern fans & players, being "big" a handicap actually. Wasnt at all like today. Size that mattered was what was in your heart, and big people physically basically freak jobs... He played behind some awful teams or when he did play behind good teams just didnt get the respect he deserved, unable to ever gain any real traction, confidence & consistency in terms of Starts. I ran into him a few times when I was playing & tell you what, this guy was a really bright light. Very astute. Judge of talent. Quick study artist. Shrewd. Fighter.

ICM1970

Jan 29, 2012
Ottawa, ON
Funny to see the Lafleur picture and it saying that it was dated from his first season, as I know that he wore a helmet for most (if not all) of his first three seasons in the NHL. I recall reading somewhere that during his second season in 1972-73, he doffed the helmet for a game against either Los Angeles or Pittsburgh and really did not notice a difference then and put it back on. He stayed that way until forgetting it in a training camp scrimmage in the fall of 1974 and that's when playing topless gave him that extra confidence and freedom.

MeHateHe

Dec 24, 2006
Funny to see the Lafleur picture and it saying that it was dated from his first season, as I know that he wore a helmet for most (if not all) of his first three seasons in the NHL. I recall reading somewhere that during his second season in 1972-73, he doffed the helmet for a game against either Los Angeles or Pittsburgh and really did not notice a difference then and put it back on. He stayed that way until forgetting it in a training camp scrimmage in the fall of 1974 and that's when playing topless gave him that extra confidence and freedom.
And then later in his career he went back to it. I can’t think of any other players who wore a helmet for an extended period, then went without for an extended period and then went back to a bucket.

ICM1970

Jan 29, 2012
Ottawa, ON
And then later in his career he went back to it. I can’t think of any other players who wore a helmet for an extended period, then went without for an extended period and then went back to a bucket.
He wore one very briefly in the 1983 preseason (you can see footage on YouTube), but got rid of it shortly thereafter. He stayed bareheaded for that remaining amount of time in Montreal and then also for his 1988 to 1991 comeback with the New York Rangers and Quebec Nordiques.

Tarantula

Hanging around the web
Aug 31, 2017
GTA
Haha, had a small section of a corn field that The Old Man left untiled, so alas a nice section of farm fresh ice, that was great, living in a snow belt, not so much. By the time I cleared a sizeable patch after a snow squall after school it would soon be too dark to be out.

Weekends would feature a trip to the local small lake where the adults and older teens would shovel off almost half a football field and would have some 50 plus people with sticks and skates, many very young and their dads and then a mess of us around peewee ot bantam age all chasing one puck. Frozen feet, hands, the accidental knocks on the shins, many a rural winter afternoon back when we only got 2 channels out there.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad