Post-Game Talk: great game

Winger98

Feb 27, 2002
Cleveland
I'm not suggesting it, I'm just saying that's the only way it is feasible to have continuous overtime.

increasing roster size would help, too, if they want to lengthen overtime. I don't see any reason teams shouldn't be allowed to carry 25 guys if they can make the cap work for them. The owners should like it because it could help keep salaries lower, the PA should like it because it adds jobs, both should like it because it should help keep players fresher and healthier over the course of the season.

TheOtherOne

Jan 2, 2010
Shots vs good scoring chances.

i don't know what you're arguing here because i feel like everyone agreed that the wings dominated not only in shots but also in quality scoring chances. Obviously "40" was a bit of exaggeration but if you start talking about the 3 goals that the Leafs might have almost had if not for the universe being configured in slightly the wrong way, then why not bring up the 5-10 goals that the wings almost scored as well?

The end score is not based on how many times the puck would have crossed the line if not for a player or a buzzer preventing it.

Flowah

Nov 30, 2009
increasing roster size would help, too, if they want to lengthen overtime. I don't see any reason teams shouldn't be allowed to carry 25 guys if they can make the cap work for them. The owners should like it because it could help keep salaries lower, the PA should like it because it adds jobs, both should like it because it should help keep players fresher and healthier over the course of the season.
Does the PA necessarily want to add jobs?

Unions aren't always the most welcoming of newcomers. It lowers wages, would cut playing time.

Actual Thought*

Does the PA necessarily want to add jobs?

Unions aren't always the most welcoming of newcomers. It lowers wages, would cut playing time.

Yes. Unions are payed by employees. They always want to increase jobs.

Actual Thought*

I've played baseball, and it doesn't compare to the other three in my opinion.

Not saying it isn't grueling. Just not as much as the others, which is why they play so often.

I wasn't trying to say it was more grueling just a different kind of grueling. Like sissy grueling.:laugh:

nik jr

Sep 25, 2005
Hank goes through stretches every year when he looks like he's skating in mud...sometimes it's been his back, sometimes it may just have been fatigue...but when he looks like this it's frustrating to watch because he's 4-5 steps behind the play and really ineffective offensively. He'll get his legs back at some point as he usually does, but he's never been a good skater to begin with. When his skating is THIS bad though it's really hard for him to make things happen.
he certainly looks slower than usual. he also got knocked down 3 or 4 times yesterday, which is a bad sign since he's generally very strong on his skates. makes me worry that his back may be a problem again.

he could have had 3 or 4 points yesterday, though, if not for some bad luck. he's been unlucky generally recently with offense.

on the plus side, datsyuk looked faster than he usually has since that collision with toews in '12 screwed up his knee. part of it may be that TML were so bad and sluggish, though.

Actual Thought*

NFL... most physically grueling? The NFL has almost no play. An average NFL game has 11 minutes of play.

:handclap:It is the only sport in which playing less is a big part of strategy. That's why the networks love it so much. If they served up 12 hours of hockey every Sunday it would be just as popular. The NFL is more marketing than it is actual sport.

InjuredChoker

Dec 25, 2011
LTIR or golf course
he certainly looks slower than usual. he also got knocked down 3 or 4 times yesterday, which is a bad sign since he's generally very strong on his skates. makes me worry that his back may be a problem again.

he could have had 3 or 4 points yesterday, though, if not for some bad luck. he's been unlucky generally recently with offense.

on the plus side, datsyuk looked faster than he usually has since that collision with toews in '12 screwed up his knee. part of it may be that TML were so bad and sluggish, though.

i agree with both points.

glad to see you are back (hopefully) and i wish for good!

Flowah

Nov 30, 2009
Yes. Unions are payed by employees. They always want to increase jobs.

Increasing jobs means nothing if the total amount of money available remains the same, which it would in a cap system. Let's simplify this. Imagine the cap is $10, with a roster of 10. If you increase the roster to 15, the average salary per player is now lower.

That is the hockey world. There's a set salary cap. Unless the cap goes up to accommodate the additional roster spots, it means lower average salaries for all the current players. I don't see why players would go for that. And if they do push for raising the cap, well then I don't see why the owners would go for that. It just means they have to spend more money.

HisNoodliness

The Karate Kid and ASP Kai
Jun 29, 2014
Toronto
The bolded is important, and illustrates why the NFL is so much more demanding. If the NFL could afford to make the season longer in terms of player fatigue, they would. They aren't in the interest of losing out on free money.

Fair enough. I don't know how to quantify the rigor of play, so I can't really argue this. I honestly think they play fewer games because their players are just much whinier, have a much better PA, the larger stadiums (if there are only sixteen games it's easier to fill the stands every time. It would be very hard to sell THAT many tickets 82 times, and thus financially more games has diminishing returns pretty rapidly especially when the stadiums are so large), but as I don't have a way to show that either is more physically demanding beyond minutes played, I will cease to argue

nik jr

Sep 25, 2005
^ where the heck have you been?
ibidem

i took a tip from franzen's style of play. often it's a good idea to get away from being too emotionally invested.

tempted to posting many many times, though. ;)

i decided to post b/c of some stuff about 1917-18 season, and then continued here.

Not sure if anyone has really talked about it yet, but wow was Franzen bad yesterday. Killing every offensive chance left and right.
i didn't like him. didn't seem totally disengaged, really, but also looked like one of the worst F's.

miller had a strong game, imo, especially early. glendening seems more and more like draper.

AD1066

Sep 30, 2011
NFL... most physically grueling? The NFL has almost no play. An average NFL game has 11 minutes of play. There are at most 20 games played in a season if you win the championship and don't have a bye... which happens to at most two teams. Assuming a player plays half a game (I'll round up to 6 minutes), they're playing for at most two hours total a year! There is no way that those two hours are more grueling than the 82 game plus, 10-25 minute games a hockey player plays.

There are different types of "grueling". Ultra-long distance runners and boxers are both very tough, for different reasons.

Chip39

Apr 19, 2013
Fair enough. I don't know how to quantify the rigor of play, so I can't really argue this. I honestly think they play fewer games because their players are just much whinier, have a much better PA, the larger stadiums (if there are only sixteen games it's easier to fill the stands every time. It would be very hard to sell THAT many tickets 82 times, and thus financially more games has diminishing returns pretty rapidly especially when the stadiums are so large), but as I don't have a way to show that either is more physically demanding beyond minutes played, I will cease to argue

Can you imagine playing back to back football games. Ugh! I don't think I recovered from a Saturday game until about Tuesday afternoon.

Cyborg Yzerberg

Nov 8, 2007
Philadelphia
I also noticed Z being pushed around and falling over a lot. Doesn't seem characteristic of him. Always make me cringe when I see it because I feel like it bothers his back. Hope he's alright.

HisNoodliness

The Karate Kid and ASP Kai
Jun 29, 2014
Toronto
Can you imagine playing back to back football games. Ugh! I don't think I recovered from a Saturday game until about Tuesday afternoon.
Honestly, I am usually just as sore after hockey as football. That being said I play a pretty punishing style of hockey and am the fastest guy in the football so no-one ever hits me haha. I can't escape in hockey as easily.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad