Great Experience with Arizona

zetajerk

Jan 1, 2015
I just wanted to tell all of you that my experience going to Arizona for the first time to finally see the Yotes after all these years of following them from afar, was wonderful.

I stayed at one of the hotels on N Zanjero, so GRA was a 10 min walk away. I went on the 8th and 10th. The game experience was just as great as I knew it would be. I thought that the turnout for both games was very good, considering how low everyone's expectations are regarding the team and the sword that's been hanging over the franchise's head for almost a decade. I was shocked that it was announced as 10K on Thursday, I would have thought it was closer to 13K judging by the noise and atmosphere. Saturday was amazing. We got the win and the place was bopping. And just as I expected, it was >90% actual Coyotes fans present for both games, not the bogus 40/60 split the peanut gallery keeps harping about. I loved it.

I also had a rental car, so I made the drive to Tucson on the 9th for the Teddy Bear Toss game. The building was beautiful, it reminded me of a bigger, more modern version of the Civic Center in Glens Falls, NY where I've seen many AHL games. The crowd was loud and lively and the team put on a show. The in-game production was a different story- too much blaring of music at every whistle and that knock off roadrunner beep was piercing. I had a ball.

I met a lot of cool fans at the games, including one who is a member here. They were thrilled to meet an out of state Coyotes fan. I didn't think it would be that big a deal. Everyone I met asked me to explain myself when I told them I'm a Yotes fan from NY.

I'm so happy I finally made the trip and I plan on doing this at least once every season, if I don't find myself a job down there. I had an awesome time and want to let you know that you guys have something really great. Cheers from upstate NY!

Sinurgy

Approaching infinity
Sponsor
Feb 8, 2004
AZ
What a great account, I'm glad to hear you had a fun time!! You came at a lovely time too, Phoenix is gorgeous from pretty much October through April.

zetajerk

Jan 1, 2015
And when I was in Tuscon, they were having a massive street festival. While I was walking along I found a store that specialized in things from the 80s/90s. They had a rack of jerseys and I found a Starter size 48 authentic white kachina player jersey from the late 90s, and for way less than what one goes for on ebay. Perfect condition. It was my good luck charm for Saturday's game. I can't remember what the place was called, but look for it when you go to Tucson. They had a ton of cool stuff. And a Ms Pac-Man machine.

I also picked up an indo-edge road jersey and a roadrunners away at the Den. With fanatics taking over next season and likely making super-cheapo crap, my jersey buying may have ended on a high note.

PerpetualTankYear

Doan 3:16
Mar 27, 2008
Phoenix, AZ
And when I was in Tuscon, they were having a massive street festival. While I was walking along I found a store that specialized in things from the 80s/90s. They had a rack of jerseys and I found a Starter size 48 authentic white kachina player jersey from the late 90s, and for way less than what one goes for on ebay. Perfect condition. It was my good luck charm for Saturday's game. I can't remember what the place was called, but look for it when you go to Tucson. They had a ton of cool stuff. And a Ms Pac-Man machine.

I also picked up an indo-edge road jersey and a roadrunners away at the Den. With fanatics taking over next season and likely making super-cheapo crap, my jersey buying may have ended on a high note.

As the officially unofficial HFCoyotes ambassador to Tucson, I'm glad you enjoyed your time here. The 4th ave street fair is fantastic! And the store on 4th ave I believe you're talking about is called Desert Vintage.

4th ave is a must-see when you come to Tucson, if it's street fair season or not. The weird and wacky shops, the great food, and the exciting bar scene is like nowhere else.
Hope you had a little time to walk around the University of Arizona campus when you were here. In my (biased) opinion, it's one of the coolest campuses on the West Coast.

If you decide to come back next year, let's grab a beer at a Roadrunner's game.

Last edited:

_Del_

Jul 4, 2003
This was a great story, and I hope your enthusiasm survives the process that is Coyote fanhood!

zetajerk

Jan 1, 2015
This was a great story, and I hope your enthusiasm survives the process that is Coyote fanhood!

I made a point to block out the off ice drama and take in the experience. It's great to just be in the moment.

Unlike the many AHL games and whopping one NHL game I've been to before, I felt like a part of something at the Yotes games. Like a collective middle finger to the hockey establishment.

I'm very glad I got to see a victory. It's been at least two years since I've seen the team that I like win in person. That's just in the AHL though, but still. I was beginning to think I'm a curse on a team.

The Feckless Puck

Registered Loser
Sponsor
Oct 26, 2006
I just wanted to tell all of you that my experience going to Arizona for the first time to finally see the Yotes after all these years of following them from afar, was wonderful.

I stayed at one of the hotels on N Zanjero, so GRA was a 10 min walk away. I went on the 8th and 10th. The game experience was just as great as I knew it would be. I thought that the turnout for both games was very good, considering how low everyone's expectations are regarding the team and the sword that's been hanging over the franchise's head for almost a decade. I was shocked that it was announced as 10K on Thursday, I would have thought it was closer to 13K judging by the noise and atmosphere. Saturday was amazing. We got the win and the place was bopping. And just as I expected, it was >90% actual Coyotes fans present for both games, not the bogus 40/60 split the peanut gallery keeps harping about. I loved it.

I also had a rental car, so I made the drive to Tucson on the 9th for the Teddy Bear Toss game. The building was beautiful, it reminded me of a bigger, more modern version of the Civic Center in Glens Falls, NY where I've seen many AHL games. The crowd was loud and lively and the team put on a show. The in-game production was a different story- too much blaring of music at every whistle and that knock off roadrunner beep was piercing. I had a ball.

I met a lot of cool fans at the games, including one who is a member here. They were thrilled to meet an out of state Coyotes fan. I didn't think it would be that big a deal. Everyone I met asked me to explain myself when I told them I'm a Yotes fan from NY.

I'm so happy I finally made the trip and I plan on doing this at least once every season, if I don't find myself a job down there. I had an awesome time and want to let you know that you guys have something really great. Cheers from upstate NY!

Glad you finally got to get out here for some games! :handclap:

Spirit of Lindgren

Jan 1, 2016
Glad to have met you.
Remember we get in line and psyche up 1 hour and 15 minutes before the gate opens.
With what you do and the job that you have, you'll have no problem making it out here and being one great Coyotes fan!

manictech

Apr 9, 2012
Tucson,AZ
As the officially unofficial HFCoyotes ambassador to Tucson, I'm glad you enjoyed your time here. The 4th ave street fair is fantastic! And the store on 4th ave I believe you're talking about is called Desert Vintage.

4th ave is a must-see when you come to Tucson, if it's street fair season or not. The weird and wacky shops, the great food, and the exciting bar scene is like nowhere else.
Hope you had a little time to walk around the University of Arizona campus when you were here. In my (biased) opinion, it's one of the coolest campuses on the West Coast.

If you decide to come back next year, let's grab a beer at a Roadrunner's game.

He's talking about the store "Generation Cool"

RemoAZ

Let it burn
Mar 30, 2010
Glendale, Arizona
Glad you were able to make it. Nice to have people that don't live here out to games to tell all the people that say we don't have anyone show up to the games how it really is.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad