Paywall GREAT article on the Sharks Czech players and Czech hockey history

spintheblackcircle

incoming!!!
Mar 1, 2002
Tomáš Hertl, Radim Šimek and Lukáš Radil: On the Czech...

look at Hertl!!

fullsizeoutput_6aba-771x1024.jpeg

Munnyro

Jul 15, 2013
Sacramento, CA
Very well written article. Interesting to hear their perspectives. Esp related to the recent lack of Czech hockey players.

AgentCooper

May 10, 2009
Boston
Yep. THIS is why the Athletic is worth paying for. Lombardi is a football guy, but apparently has a Czech mother, speaks Czech, and has spent a lot of time in the country.

hohosaregood

Banned
Sep 1, 2011
How many good sharks article a month? Are we paying 3 bucks per article?
I wouldn't say Sharks content is the best just cuz Kurz's game to game stuff is kinda whatever. His in depth essays are good. I like The Athletic cuz it does give a lot of writers a lot more leeway to write some really big in depth stories that we didn't really get a chance to read when they were part of more traditional media conglomerates. I think it has the best value if you're vaguely interested in following the rest of the league or are also a fan of other sports. I think it's helped me learn quite a bit about football in the last year.

Reactions: CrazedZooChimp

Lebanezer

I'unno? Coast Guard?
Jul 24, 2006
San Jose
Kurz doesn’t really write what I would call postgame articles. He writes articles after games about the team that incorporate the most recent game, but it’s not a recap really. Since he doesn’t do recaps he doesn’t seem to have a hard deadline so the articles come out quite a bit after the games end. There’s zero coverage of the barracuda and minimal coverage of Sharks’ prospects on the athletic. Any prospect info on there comes from Corey Pronman and he reviews every team so Sharks’ news is sparse. Overall the Sharks coverage is kind of underwhelming. The Giants by comparison have at least 3 writers on there.

AgentCooper

May 10, 2009
Boston
I'll say what I always say about the Athletic. It's totally worth it. I think I paid $48 for the year, so 4 bucks per month.

Even if you're not the biggest Kurz fan (I'm not either), it's still worth it. We crap on him a lot, but he's written several really excellent pieces. There's some good general NHL content as well. If you liked Down Goes Brown, Sean McIndoe writes a lot of fun/amusing articles. David Pollak drops in once in a while. There are other contributors too.

And, if you're into other sports as well, it is DEFINITELY worth the money. The 49er coverage is great. Warriors and Giants too.

LadyStanley

Sep 22, 2004
Sin City
There are perhaps 4-5 Shark-centric articles every week. Pollak does the occasional article too.

You also get LeBrun, Mirtle, Custance, Burnside, Pronman at least weekly.

There are one or more beat writers for each NHL team.

IMHO well worth the $$.

DeadGhost

Ugistered Reger
Feb 15, 2010
The Athletic is absolutely worth it if you're a sports fan. Even if you're just a Sharks fan and don't care about the rest of the NHL or other sports it's still the best Sharks coverage available.

CrazedZooChimp

Not enough guts
Aug 3, 2005
Bay Area, CA
www.Coaster101.com
How many good sharks article a month? Are we paying 3 bucks per article?

This article was about 4x the length of most stories, so does that count as 4? Kurz writes something every day, and there are a bunch of national NHL writers. Plus it's fun to see Pollak sometimes write things. Plus every other sport or teams if you have any interest in any of them.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad