Great Article (IMO) on The Leafs/media and Kessel

ClarkSittler

Mar 25, 2014
Except Phil Kessel drove himself out of town with his uninspired play on the ice and whatever character concerns he had off the ice. If Phil showed the qualities of a Mike Santorelli, and gave 100% effort every game and conducted himself in a professional way, he'd still be here.

Blaming the media or the fans for why Phil was shipped out of town is absolute rubbish, and poor journalism as far as I'm concerned.

Exactly.

Rants Mulliniks

Jun 22, 2008
Mahovolich bit was classic. Over and over again Leaf fans harp on their stars and producers and scream about "culture" yet fail to ask where the other pieces are. I mean seriously, many people around here believe we built around Kessel and Phaneuf by surrounding them with the likes of Bozak, Kostka, Gunnarsson and Franson. Just last year when I pointed out the obvious I was met with "but but but Franson is awesome" before he became the 5th, 6th, 7th d-man on a contender.

Marmoset

Apr 4, 2015
GTA
Kessel didn't do himself any favours by refusing to talk to the media 90% of the time. Like it or not, the media impacts public opinion and he himself helped to turn the media (and some fans) against him. Then there is something like the salute incident - again, bringing negative attention upon himself unnecessarily. The Toronto media is certainly full of its share of bad people, but Phil Kessel's own behaviour played a big role in his perception in the city.

This is without getting into his play on the ice.

He was a very good player here, but it was time to part ways. I hope he has success in Pittsburgh, other than when he plays against the Leafs.

rrc1967

Jan 9, 2014
Houston Texas
Quote of the day..

I mean, this guy hands out health advice to a guy who beat cancer, played over 440 straight NHL games, and is one of the Top 5 scorers in all of hockey.

Meanwhile, Simmons looks like 220 pounds of hot-dog meat stuffed into a tight suit.

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
I find a lot of things wrong with this article. The classic dynasty era Leafs were founded on tough two way hockey, balanced scoring, elite goaltending and an emphasis on team play over individual greatness. That's something that has never really gone out of fashion in the game. Also doesn't mean this city and fanbase can't appreciate elite individual skill, and favor Neanderthal hockey. We appreciate an honest effort, especially when the team is less talented.

Phil Kessel isn't Mats Sundin. He's not Frank Mahovlich. He's not Max Bentley. Better comparisons are Russ Courtnall, Rick Vaive, Ed Olcyzk, Gary Leeman. These were skilled scorers who weren't part of successful teams. They scored in bunches but it all went to waste. Their teams were young and they didn't mature into anything substantial. They never got it. Many of them played small and added to the feeling like the Leafs were getting pushed around. And when better times came around we forgot about them all.

Phil also resembled another Toronto athlete. Vince Carter. Held himself above Toronto and treated the crowd in contempt. Punched his own ticket out of town.

Rants Mulliniks

Jun 22, 2008
I find a lot of things wrong with this article. The classic dynasty era Leafs were founded on tough two way hockey, balanced scoring, elite goaltending and an emphasis on team play over individual greatness. That's something that has never really gone out of fashion in the game. Also doesn't mean this city and fanbase can't appreciate elite individual skill, and favor Neanderthal hockey. We appreciate an honest effort, especially when the team is less talented.

Phil Kessel isn't Mats Sundin. He's not Frank Mahovlich. He's not Max Bentley. Better comparisons are Russ Courtnall, Rick Vaive, Ed Olcyzk, Gary Leeman. These were skilled scorers who weren't part of successful teams. They scored in bunches but it all went to waste. Their teams were young and they didn't mature into anything substantial. They never got it. Many of them played small and added to the feeling like the Leafs were getting pushed around. And when better times came around we forgot about them all.

Phil also resembled another Toronto athlete. Vince Carter. Held himself above Toronto and treated the crowd in contempt. Punched his own ticket out of town.

Do you forget Sundin being one of the group Leaf fans thought needed to be gone because of "culture" and how much flak he got?

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013
I have a theory about the psychology behind all of this hubbub regarding Steve Simmons' sniping hot dog article. Fans of Phil Kessel are heavily conflicted right now. They want someone to be angry at for the trade but they don't want to direct it at the team's management group led by Brendan Shanahan because the honeymoon with Shanny, Dubas and Hunter isn't over yet. So there is lashing out at the media for making a few weak jabs at Kessel even though it's Shanahan and his deputies, not the media or the fans, who dispassionately evaluated this team and decided that Phil Kessel's days as a Leaf were over.

For the record, I'm a Kessel fan and I'm not the least bit angry that he was traded.

Stopped reading at this. :laugh:

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
Do you forget Sundin being one of the group Leaf fans thought needed to be gone because of "culture" and how much flak he got?

Sundin was here for 14 years and appreciated by the majority of the fanbase. Some people wanted him to be moved for a Kessel type return to start a rebuild.

dimi78

Aug 9, 2008

The article did a fantastic job illustrating where this frame of thought comes from but somehow went right over your head same with those individual's who took issue with the reference of the big M. Can't say I'm shocked either with those who have issue with the article since it points there faults out right smack in the face. ;)

Kessel is in the top 5 for production league wide since we traded for him... The issue was this quote

"Find talent, feed talent."

Burke, Nonis failed to follow with the "FEED TALENT"

Bozak takes a lot of heat but not because of him per say but the sad fact that the Leafs settled for 6 years of him as a top line center.

Guess you missed the point that Bozak during all his time on the top line has less than 50 primary assists?

"Find talent, feed talent."

That's the only thing you should take from that article and the entire point the writer was making.

Kessel isn't to blame for the state of the franchise yet he's been abused both on here and in the media as the route cause.

The issue is MANGEMNT failed with..... "Find talent, feed talent."

Last edited:

Rants Mulliniks

Jun 22, 2008
Sundin was here for 14 years and appreciated by the majority of the fanbase. Some people wanted him to be moved for a Kessel type return to start a rebuild.

I believe George Dubyah referred to that as "misremembering".

Rants Mulliniks

Jun 22, 2008
Maybe you didn't like him, but that's your own fault.

Of course. That's what I was referring to. I'm sure you don't remember at all the legions of "Muskoka 5....culture change.....Muskoka 5....blah blah blah".

Leaf Nation is largely craptacular. Booing Belfour before he plays a game. Irate that the Leafs win a game rather than being happy for a wheelchair bound kid getting the thrill of a lifetime. Hoping for players to get injured. Sad really.

Daisy Jane

everything is gonna be okay!
Jul 2, 2009
I loved Sundin. wouldn't have been a Leaf fan without him. :dunno:

Ultimately, the fans didn't chase Kessel out of town.
the current management decided that Kessel was not part of their plans. that wasn't on the media, nor the fans. that's management. If Nonis was here, he'd still be here. If Burke was still here, he'd still be here. (especially, because neither one of them ever shuts up about you can totally be awesome with Phil Kessel.).

Which - you probably could - if those two had even bothered building a team around him. Which - they did not.

everything else has been discussed to death regarding Phil, and I'm tired of talking about it. as I said in his trade thread. He's not here anymore, so no longer my problem.

My problem is how the Leafs are going to build around their talent. and unlike the previous two people here - Shanagement seems to want to have a team and a system that doesn't rely on one person and a natural "here I am, guys." personality emerges in front of the media.

HoweHullOrr

Oct 3, 2013
I have a theory about the psychology behind all of this hubbub regarding Steve Simmons' sniping hot dog article. Fans of Phil Kessel are heavily conflicted right now. They want someone to be angry at for the trade but they don't want to direct it at the team's management group led by Brendan Shanahan because the honeymoon with Shanny, Dubas and Hunter isn't over yet. So there is lashing out at the media for making a few weak jabs at Kessel even though it's Shanahan and his deputies, not the media or the fans, who dispassionately evaluated this team and decided that Phil Kessel's days as a Leaf were over.

Its not very popular or vogue at the moment to raise any questions about Shanny et al and any of the event or moves made, let alone throw out any criticism.

I guess a valid question is when does the good-will buffer period end?

I like the fact that we are finally rebuilding and the 2015 draft and all, but everything is relative. How did we do versus a team let's say 10 spots higher in the standings (as an example)? That would ostensibly be a fair question to ponder I'd think.

TMLegend

May 27, 2012
Somewhere

I was under the impression Leaf fans wanted Sundin(And the Muskoka 5) gone was to kickstart the rebuild. It was before my time on these boards, so someone please correct me if I'm wrong. In any case, comparing Phil Kessel to Mats Sundin in any way leaves me with quite the distaste.

Mats was a class act on and off the ice, and to date, is my favorite Leaf I've ever seen don the blue and white.

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
Of course. That's what I was referring to. I'm sure you don't remember at all the legions of "Muskoka 5....culture change.....Muskoka 5....blah blah blah".

Leaf Nation is largely craptacular. Booing Belfour before he plays a game. Irate that the Leafs win a game rather than being happy for a wheelchair bound kid getting the thrill of a lifetime. Hoping for players to get injured. Sad really.

That's a particular way of looking at things, but even if Leaf Nation was completely bonkers, that doesn't mean that Phil wasn't an active participant in the dysfunction.

Bravid Nonahan

carlylol = القسوة
Mar 22, 2009
أو&#1585
I agree with the writer of the article. I was tired of watching Kessel but I was even moreso tired of listening to the Toronto media slam both him and Phaneuf. We all love hockey but people need to understand that it is a FREAKING GAME. Steve Simmons and his cronies disect the Leafs like its a Russian invasion or something. Here's an idea...how about we just enjoy watching hockey? Why would I get so emotionally invested in a GAME that I actually get physically upset? This is sheer stupidity and a really good way to ruin your days. This mindset dawned on me about 1 hours after the Leafs lost game 7 to the Bruins. I cried, as a 23 year old man. That is f-ing pathetic. You know what is worth crying about? A family member dying...world hunger...cancer. Not the Leafs. I love the Leafs as much as the next guys - look at my freaking post count. But I am done getting worked up by the media...and I am sick and tired of watching them sit pretty in their broadcast booths and MAKE THEIR LIVING by CARVING UP people PLAYING A GAME, a game which although we all care about it, is NO WHERE CLOSE to being a truly important world issue.

Daisy Jane

everything is gonna be okay!
Jul 2, 2009
I was under the impression Leaf fans wanted Sundin(And the Muskoka 5) gone was to kickstart the rebuild. It was before my time on these boards, so someone please correct me if I'm wrong. In any case, comparing Phil Kessel to Mats Sundin in any way leaves me with quite the distaste.

Mats was a class act all the way, and to date, is my favorite Leaf I've ever seen don the blue and white.

no, that was pretty much it. And Mats didn't want to be a rental (for the most part - which sucked because then he went to go play for Vancouver, which i try to block out as much as I can).

I know there were a lot of people mad at him because he wouldn't allow himself to be traded for a massive package. (and that's sort of the same flack that Kaberle got - ie: we coulda got Carter or whatever).

And then of course there were the people who didn't like Mats because he was soft, or was European, or blah blah

To which - I have to say: everyone gets it. It's not just a Toronto thing. It might just seem like a Toronto thing, but people talk crap about their teams players (and more often than naught, it's usually the best players, especially if you suck as long as we have). My twitter was blowing up about how much Bergeron and Rask needed to be traded from the Bruins.

It just.. irritates me that if Leafs nation does it it's like we're this super special, eat the paste society that can't appreciate things, which - no. chances are, like any other fan base, we get cranky, irritated, fall in love or whatever with players. it's just that with Leafs Nation, we get flogged if we do (or if we don't).

and I agree. comparing Phil to Mats... ... please don't do that.

Lubo

Nov 8, 2008
This honestly has to be one of the most terrible, poorly written and short-sighted articles I have ever read.

Some gems to highlight:

"The thing is though, even down at the Pits, we knew not all Hot Dogs were alike. Now and then, you’d get a guy that – even when you laid the wood on him, and knew you’d hurt him – he’d just look at you. And play on"

Pits? Hot dogs? ... The double entendres are seriously not clever.

"And a good place to start is to make sure that Kessel is the last high-end talent we let these guys tear down and then run out of town."

Phil was not "run out of town" nor was any other "high-end talent". Period.

"Best to think about this now folks, because we’ve got Mitch Marner, William Nylander, Morgan Rielly, Joey Bracco, Dymtro Timashov and a truckload more of high-end talent coming"

Joey Bracco?

"And yet our genius media has spent the last 5 years praising Bozak, and blaming Phil"

Definitely untrue. No one has praised Bozak. Article is definitely coming off the rails and entering wild rant territory at this point.

"Speaking of which, look it. Kids. It’s time to talk about Don for a sec. Now, Don Cherry’s been telling Canadian kids for decades – pretty much unfiltered – that skill’s not as important as grit. And that foreigners are bad, and can’t play hockey. And 4th liners are better than 1st liners. And facts aren’t as important as whatever Don’s feelings are all hurt about. And that being stupid is… something to be proud of."

Bobby Orr, Steve Yzerman, Doug Gilmour, Steven Stamkos. Yup, just a list of players Don is not a fan of :sarcasm:

"And that, my friends, is the true Bruins way. Because they didn’t just run Espo out.

They ran Bobby Orr out.

And in the last decade, they ran Joe Thornton out (1259 NHL points.) And Phil Kessel out. Then Tyler Seguin out. Dougie Hamilton out. And you tell me how long before David Pastrnak sees that “You are now leaving Boston†sign in his rear-view mirror."

Did you miss the part where the Bruins won the Stanley Cup in 2011 and have been one of the more dominant organizations of the last decade? Pretty sure I wouldn't question the decisions the Boston Bruins have made regarding player personnel because you are seriously not going to win that discussion.

deletethis

Mar 17, 2015
Toronto
I think the blog was actually quite well-written. It's a completely emotional sermon preaching to the converted. But it's a well-written piece built on the totally false premise that fans and/or media are the root of player personnel decisions. That's patently untrue. The hockey team management make personnel decisions. And this team's management wanted Phil Kessel gone.

Twitter Account:

Quinn MacKeen
@quinnesq
Not Norm Ullman.

Joined September 2009

Read what the blogger thinks about the Sheldon Keefe hiring, scroll down to the comments under the alias "Not Norm Ullman" (very NSFW). Seems to have a bit of a Toronto-style media ax to grind with our current management there with infinitely worse accusations and innuendo against Keefe than a columnist riffing about someone snacking daily on some street meat.

http://www.pensionplanpuppets.com/toronto-marlies/2015/6/8/8745581/sheldon-keefe-named-head-coach-of-the-toronto-marlies

Last edited:

Wafflewhipper

Jan 18, 2014
Quote of the day..

I mean, this guy hands out health advice to a guy who beat cancer, played over 440 straight NHL games, and is one of the Top 5 scorers in all of hockey.

Meanwhile, Simmons looks like 220 pounds of hot-dog meat stuffed into a tight suit.

He looks like 10lbs of sh !t in a 5 lb bag too. With black 1950's eye glasses no less.With a nervous twitch too.

diceman934

Help is on the way.
Jul 31, 2010
NHL player factory
Except Phil Kessel drove himself out of town with his uninspired play on the ice and whatever character concerns he had off the ice. If Phil showed the qualities of a Mike Santorelli, and gave 100% effort every game and conducted himself in a professional way, he'd still be here.

Blaming the media or the fans for why Phil was shipped out of town is absolute rubbish, and poor journalism as far as I'm concerned.

A clown writes an article that ignores the truth and the people on here eat it all up...So funny and sad!

Complaining about the media and using a fluff piece that was full of BS as proof!

Ad

Upcoming events

• Lecce vs Udinese
    Lecce vs Udinese
    Wagers: 5
    Staked: $200.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Czechia vs Switzerland
    Czechia vs Switzerland
    Wagers: 6
    Staked: $1,214.00