Prospect Info: Great a drafting but are we good enough at developing talent?

Jetsetter

Mar 2, 2015
Winnerpeg
I’m typically a positive poster. I’ve been to the past two Young Stars events in Penticton, have season tickets and watch 96% of all Jet games. I continue to wait patiently to see these prospects rise to the next level.

I see other teams prospects out hustle, out hit, out work our prospects consistently. They seem to operate with at a higher energy level. Not sure of the reasons. Yes there are exceptions to my statement but on a general basis I believe it seems to be true.

If the pundits say we have one of the best prospect pools in the NHL why are we not seeing this translating on the ice when we see ours compete against theirs?

Maybe we are great drafters but not a good enough developers of talent? I can think of all kinds of excises but what am I missing?

Halloween Jack

A real cool cat.
Sep 16, 2013
On top of Manhattan Chase
I’m typically a positive poster. I’ve been to the past two Young Stars events in Penticton, have season tickets and watch 96% of all Jet games. I continue to wait patiently to see these prospects rise to the next level.

I see other teams prospects out hustle, out hit, out work our prospects consistently. They seem to operate with at a higher energy level. Not sure of the reasons. Yes there are exceptions to my statement but on a general basis I believe it seems to be true.

If the pundits say we have one of the best prospect pools in the NHL why are we not seeing this translating on the ice when we see ours compete against theirs?

Maybe we are great drafters but not a good enough developers of talent? I can think of all kinds of excises but what am I missing?

I think you're missing the fact that Scheifele, (Trouba), Ehlers, Hellebuyck, are budding stars. If they stop trending upward, and if Connor and Laine are busts, then you have cause for concern.

sully1410

#EggosForEleven
Dec 28, 2011
Calgary, Alta.
I think it's a valid question, as was said before a lot of our picks are now in the NHL, and we will be adding a few more this year. We have had pretty limited success outside of the first round though. I'd like to see that change.

johna2626

Aug 19, 2015
Atlanta
One of the issues is that our best prospect is too good for these prospect games...
Laine was not there like Pulju, or Tkachuk.
There is also a lack of defense in the system. And when Logan Stanley is what the organization wants, it's going to be even worse on defense. I'm sure they will address the need in the upcoming drafts. Let's just home they can get the correct defenders in the system.

sully1410

#EggosForEleven
Dec 28, 2011
Calgary, Alta.
One of the issues is that our best prospect is too good for these prospect games...
Laine was not there like Pulju, or Tkachuk.
There is also a lack of defense in the system. And when Logan Stanley is what the organization wants, it's going to be even worse on defense. I'm sure they will address the need in the upcoming drafts. Let's just home they can get the correct defenders in the system.

From what I've heard, Stanley has looked really good so far.

AWSAA

Sep 8, 2003
Definitely a fair question. The only top/middle 6 forwards & full-time D they've "developed" so far were lottery picks (or talents - Connor).

Look around the league and you will see more than half of the league has produced quality players in 2nd round or later since the 2011 draft. Some of those teams have struck 2-3x.

Last edited:

garret9

AKA#VitoCorrelationi
Mar 31, 2012
Vancouver
www.hockey-graphs.com
I've shown before that the Jets are good at drafting, but they are also very much human and still falling for many of the same market deficiencies many teams are, especially outside of the first round (where your draft position matters less and drafting talent matters more).

I mean, a very simple blind stats model may outperform the Jets.

The model loses Lowry, Copp, and Poolman but gains Shore, McCabe, Gostisbehere, and Bjorkstrand...

That's a trade I'd make. And not so blind, like knowing Lowry had mono in his draft year or using Copps numbers after he moved from the fourth line in Michigan, wouldn't even miss those guys.

Last edited:

JetsFan815

Jan 16, 2012
Great a drafting but are we good enough at developing talent?

This is questionable under the leadership of Hiller after the latest draft and what he seems to value

nobody important

the pessimist returns
Jul 12, 2015
a quiet suburb

I think Sully was referring to his hair. It is... mahvelous.

logan-stanley-selected-18th-overall-by-the-winnipeg-jets-poses-for-a-picture-id542889486

DeepFrickinValue

Formally Ruffus
May 14, 2015
development side is somethink I know little about. any know how this works? I am sure mentoring and education are key components but there must be other aspects.

within the Logan Stanley discussion, development was brought up and what actually goes into development. anyone with insight please share....

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
Too soon to really say:

We have seen guys like Scheifele and Trouba developed into top line/top pair quality players. Both of which probably exceed their draft position.

This year we have Helle, Petan and Morrissey knocking at the door so it's not inconceivable that going into this year we will have the following on the roster.

2011 draft class

Scheifele - First line centre
Lowry - 4th line/depth pieces

2012:
Helle - Starting goalie
*Trouba or replacement if Chevy gets his price* first pairing defenseman

2013:
Petan - top 9 forward if he makes it
Morrissey- top 6 or 4 defenseman
Copp- 4th line forward/depth defenseman

2014:

Ehlers top 6 forward

2015:

Connor top 9 forward

2016:

Laine - top 6 forward

That looks pretty good to me. 2 players from 2011 and 2012 and possibly 3 from 2013.

KingBogo

Admitted Homer
Nov 29, 2011
Winnipeg
Too soon to really say:

We have seen guys like Scheifele and Trouba developed into top line/top pair quality players. Both of which probably exceed their draft position.

This year we have Helle, Petan and Morrissey knocking at the door so it's not inconceivable that going into this year we will have the following on the roster.

2011 draft class

Scheifele - First line centre
Lowry - 4th line/depth pieces

2012:
Helle - Starting goalie
*Trouba or replacement if Chevy gets his price* first pairing defenseman

2013:
Petan - top 9 forward if he makes it
Morrissey- top 6 or 4 defenseman
Copp- 4th line forward/depth defenseman

2014:

Ehlers top 6 forward

2015:

Connor top 9 forward

2016:

Laine - top 6 forward

That looks pretty good to me. 2 players from 2011 and 2012 and possibly 3 from 2013.

I think at this time it also looks like Roslovic will be a NHL player at some point. And since this thread asks more about development than drafting shouldn't we also throw in the asset acquisitions from these draft classes? That list would now include Armia from 2011 and Lemieux and Dano from 2013.

But for me what shed a light on player development was how well all the prospects on the Moose performed when called up late last season. For the most part Maurice was able to slip them into the line up have them perform well. IMO the strategy of having the Moose as primarily a prospect development team is maximizing young player development by forcing them into key roles and big minutes under pressure.

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
I think at this time it also looks like Roslovic will be a NHL player at some point. And since this thread asks more about development than drafting shouldn't we also throw in the asset acquisitions from these draft classes? That list would now include Armia from 2011 and Lemieux and Dano from 2013.

But for me what shed a light on player development was how well all the prospects on the Moose performed when called up late last season. For the most part Maurice was able to slip them into the line up have them perform well. IMO the strategy of having the Moose as primarily a prospect development team is maximizing young player development by forcing them into key roles and big minutes under pressure.

Yeah I was just putting down who I thought had a very realistic shot at making the roster and what their role would be this year. There are others who could make it in the future as well.

ffh

Jul 16, 2016
This is questionable under the leadership of Hiller after the latest draft and what he seems to value

they drafted a kid in the first round who was slated to go in the first round. I question your questioning of their pick.

Duke749

Savannah Ghost Pirates
Apr 6, 2010
Canton, Georgia

There is no way in the universe you can come to the conclusion that our most recent draft, which is only a couple months old, is good or bad either way. So saying it's questionable at this point in time is ironically, very questionable itself. How about wait until we see what these guys show over the next year or two before coming to any conclusions? That's probably asking a lot though.

KingBogo

Admitted Homer
Nov 29, 2011
Winnipeg
Yeah I was just putting down who I thought had a very realistic shot at making the roster and what their role would be this year. There are others who could make it in the future as well.

Yeah I appreciate you were being conservative. But I don't get the Jets aren't good enough at developing as they probably put more resources into it then anyone. How many organizations run their farm team from the same city with a purely developmental focus?

Mortimer Snerd

You kids get off my lawn!
Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014

It was questionable before. We've done well with the easy ones. After that, not so much. There are still quite a few prospects on the cusp. If a few of those start to come through we are doing well. If they crash and burn (Lowry?) then we are not doing well at all.

Mortimer Snerd

You kids get off my lawn!
Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
I think many are too negative on a 18 yr old 6' 7" kid. Defense is difficult to learn. Stanley requires patients. He is a defensive and tough style defensive LHD. Time will tell.

I think many are too negative positive on a 18 yr old 6' 7" kid who has shown little aptitude for hockey. Defense is difficult to learn. Stanley requires patients. He is a defensive and tough style defensive LHD. Time will tell. Yes, time will tell.

In the meantime there was no reason to draft him except his exceptional size which is no indication AT ALL that he will ever turn into a pro hockey player. He should have been taken in the 4th or 5th round, if at all. Someone else would have taken him earlier? Good! Let some other team draft badly. Axel Blomqvist has shown more promise. He went undrafted. How high might he have gone if he had played D instead of LW? 1st rd? 2nd?

Halloween Jack

A real cool cat.
Sep 16, 2013
On top of Manhattan Chase
I think many are too negative positive on a 18 yr old 6' 7" kid who has shown little aptitude for hockey. Defense is difficult to learn. Stanley requires patients. He is a defensive and tough style defensive LHD. Time will tell. Yes, time will tell.

In the meantime there was no reason to draft him except his exceptional size which is no indication AT ALL that he will ever turn into a pro hockey player. He should have been taken in the 4th or 5th round if at all. ,Someone else would have taken him earlier? Good! Let some other team draft badly. Axel Blomqvist has shown more promise. He went undrafted. How high might he have gone if he had played D instead of LW? 1st rd? 2nd?

I disagree with that statement.

Don't get me wrong; I don't like the pick either, but the guy isn't trash.

garret9

AKA#VitoCorrelationi
Mar 31, 2012
Vancouver
www.hockey-graphs.com
I disagree with that statement.

Don't get me wrong; I don't like the pick either, but the guy isn't trash.

I know legitimate NHL scouts who had him outside the top 3 rounds.

Not saying they are right, but I think it's something to keep in mind on:
1) this specific circumstance in at least being somewhat reasonable opinion within the realm of opinions
2) the wide variety of different opinions scouts can have on players

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad