GDT: Graz 99ers (Michael Rasmussen) vs Red Bull Salzburg (Dec 9, 13:15 EST)

Theokritos

Global Moderator
Apr 6, 2010
Yeah, you miss the NHL and this is not it, it's somewhere between AHL und ECHL level. But if you're bored and miss hockey and are willing to spend 8 bucks on it, there's a stream from the Austrian league today featuring Detroit Red Wings prospect Michael Rasmussen.

Game starts at 13:15 Eastern Standard Time (19:15 Central European Time). Price is €6,90 (= $8,33).

Go here:
ICE Hockey League TV
(Commentary in German only)

Salzburg (now without John-Jason Peterka) is #3 out of 11 clubs in the league in points per game (which is relevant because Covid has messed up the schedule), Graz is #4. Graz also has Edmonton Oilers prospect Olivier Rodrigue in goal while Salzburg has Florida Panthers draft pick Justin Schütz. Two other Salzburg players who should ring a bell are Jack Skille and Derek Joslin.

Graz:

Hunter Fejes (22) – Travis Oleksus (11) – Oliver Setzinger (91)
Johan Porsberger (17) – Tony Cameranesi (54) – Ken Ograjensek (18)
Joel Broda (29) – Michael Rasmussen (27) – Parker MacKay (9)

Mario Altmann (73) – Philipp Lindner (77)
Olle Alsing (38) – Charlie Dodero (92)
Erik Kirchschläger (71) – Kevin Moderer (72)
Amadeus Egger (15)

Olivier Rodrigue (31)

Salzburg:

Thomas Raffl (5) – Rick Schofield (19) – Jack Skille (29)
Florian Baltram (89) – Alexander Rauchenwald (53) – John Hughes (72)
Paul Huber (52) – Aljaz Predan (71) – Justin Schütz (10)
Nico Feldner (74), Peter Hochkofler (26)

Dominique Heinrich (91) – Taylor Chorney (4)
Derek Joslin (25) – Daniel Jakubitzka (11)
Layne Viveiros (42) – Alexander Pallestrang (90)

Jean-Philippe Lamoureux (1)

Boxscore (updated through the game): ICE Hockey League

Last edited:

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
Don't know what wrong on Rasmussen's team. They were league leaders a while ago and now at 6-game losing streak.

I wonder if he should start coming back?

Or what would be smart plan? Play as long as possible and skip the Training camps, because he is already at game shape?

Back for Christmas, then have 2 week quarantine and 1 week with Wings maybe?

Winger98

Feb 27, 2002
Cleveland
Don't know what wrong on Rasmussen's team. They were league leaders a while ago and now at 6-game losing streak.

I wonder if he should start coming back?

Or what would be smart plan? Play as long as possible and skip the Training camps, because he is already at game shape?

Back for Christmas, then have 2 week quarantine and 1 week with Wings maybe?

depends what the Wings are committed to trying at center, imo. If they are set giving Fabbri and maybe Namestnikov a look there, maybe just stay in Europe until their season is done there.

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
Nah, Rasmussen in NHL player. Don't think there's any doubt he wouldn't be at Starting roster.

Bertuzzi - Larkin - Mantha
Fabbri - Namestnikov - Ryan
Filppula - Rasmussen - Zadina
Svechnikov - Glendeing - Helm
(Erne, Nielsen, Gagner)

Shaman464

No u
May 1, 2009
Boston, MA
Rasmussen is 100% coming to the Red Wings when they report. (imo)
Is the AHL going to have a season? He might be left in another rock/hard place situation if not, as he's still not an NHL ready player and could still use another season in the AHL.

Nah, Rasmussen in NHL player. Don't think there's any doubt he wouldn't be at Starting roster.

Bertuzzi - Larkin - Mantha
Fabbri - Namestnikov - Ryan
Filppula - Rasmussen - Zadina
Svechnikov - Glendeing - Helm
(Erne, Nielsen, Gagner)

Rasmussen isn't going to beat Filp for a center spot in the top 9. And Zadina will need to play himself that far down the lineup.

Winger98

Feb 27, 2002
Cleveland
Rasmussen is 100% coming to the Red Wings when they report. (imo)

He probably will be, but I'm not real interested in him coming over to play wing. I'd rather have him somewhere playing center. Then he can come back later after the Wings have (hopefully) been able to deal some guys and play out the last half of the season at center with Seider, etc. also coming over.

Ezekial

Cheap Pizza, Okay Hockey
Sponsor
Nov 22, 2015
Chicago
Is the AHL going to have a season? He might be left in another rock/hard place situation if not, as he's still not an NHL ready player and could still use another season in the AHL.

That's crazy, I never would've guessed you believed this. I'm in awe. I truly can't imagine this being your opinion.

I don't see the team leaving him on Graz99ers, or whatever, all season. I believe he will come back when Wings camp opens. I don't care whether or not you think he's nhl ready. I answered whether or not he's going to stay in Europe.

19 for president

Apr 28, 2002
I can't see them keeping him over there. If they didn't plan on him being in the NHL, they would have fought to get in a league like SEL. You don't put a guy in a D league unless you plan on taking him back as soon as you can. They'll stick him at wing if needed before leaving him with Graz.

With Veleno and Seider they didn't want to risk them then not playing in a competitive league this year and that's why they got them to the SEL even though they can't join the Wings until after that season completes.

Ezekial

Cheap Pizza, Okay Hockey
Sponsor
Nov 22, 2015
Chicago
He probably will be, but I'm not real interested in him coming over to play wing. I'd rather have him somewhere playing center. Then he can come back later after the Wings have (hopefully) been able to deal some guys and play out the last half of the season at center with Seider, etc. also coming over.
I think it has everything to do with them wanting control of his development. Sure, he's playing hockey right now, but he's not in a position to stay there. I think he's in that league solely because he has the option to come back whenever camp starts.

Edit: should've just read 19 for president's post and let it be the answer. Well said.

Theokritos

Global Moderator
Apr 6, 2010

IMO they were overperforming before and now they're underperforming. (Result-wise, that is.) It evens out.

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
I
Rasmussen isn't going to beat Filp for a center spot in the top 9. And Zadina will need to play himself that far down the lineup.

Who really cares? They can be also opposite ways. Or play like Leino and Briere at Flyers 2010. Briere as a center at defensive zone/without the puck and Leino as a center at offensive zone/with puck.

Hockey is full of possibilities, you just see only problems everywhere. This and that can't be that way! :whine:
They can.

At least when Flip is gone, then Rasmussen is at center again.

Shaman464

No u
May 1, 2009
Boston, MA
Who really cares? They can be also opposite ways. Or play like Leino and Briere at Flyers 2010. Briere as a center at defensive zone/without the puck and Leino as a center at offensive zone/with puck.

Hockey is full of possibilities, you just see only problems everywhere. This and that can't be that way! :whine:
They can.

At least when Flip is gone, then Rasmussen is at center again.
Who knows? Ras and Veleno will be fighting hard for that 3rd line center soon. Ras is looking like a winger.

Winger98

Feb 27, 2002
Cleveland
I think it has everything to do with them wanting control of his development. Sure, he's playing hockey right now, but he's not in a position to stay there. I think he's in that league solely because he has the option to come back whenever camp starts.

Edit: should've just read 19 for president's post and let it be the answer. Well said.

I don't disagree that it's what the Wings will do, but I didn't read the initial question that way. I don't want to see him here just skate on Fabbri or Flip's wing, I want him getting work at center. If GR is up and running, I'd rather see him there again than in Detroit if it means he's playing 20 minutes a night in the middle vs 15 minutes a night on the wing - especially in this weird, abbreviated season with our roster.

Shaman464

No u
May 1, 2009
Boston, MA
Where have you seen him looking like a winger, when he has played all his games during 2019-20 and 2020-21 seasons as a center?
2020-21 he's playing center on a team that is just a hair above ECHL level. He could be playing goalie there, its not terribly far removed from beer league. At the NHL level he hasn't shown the ability to process the game even playing bottom winger, let alone as a center in the top 9. He would need to show significant progress to be a bottom line center.

Winger98

Feb 27, 2002
Cleveland
2020-21 he's playing center on a team that is just a hair above ECHL level. He could be playing goalie there, its not terribly far removed from beer league. At the NHL level he hasn't shown the ability to process the game even playing bottom winger, let alone as a center in the top 9. He would need to show significant progress to be a bottom line center.

Guy was one of the better players, while at center, at GR last season. And while his rookie season here didn't look great, it wasn't horrible when put up against other players of similar age/experience. I think you're selling him and his league a bit short for the sake of making an argument here.

Shaman464

No u
May 1, 2009
Boston, MA
Guy was one of the better players, while at center, at GR last season. And while his rookie season here didn't look great, it wasn't horrible when put up against other players of similar age/experience. I think you're selling him and his league a bit short for the sake of making an argument here.
He was fine in the AHL, but I’m talking about this season. Last season for him he showed not to be out of place however he didn’t show he’s a lock for being a third line center. His play at wing has always been better and more valuable and unless he really breaks out as a center he’s a very a winger for his NHL career.

This isn't to say I don't think will be an NHL player or even a good one. My hope he's going to be a 25/25 guy with a couple 30 goals and makes people's lives hell on a 2nd pp unit.

Last edited:

spiderweb

Sep 23, 2015
Rasmussen is legitimately underrated at this point. I’m not going to call him a home run swing at 9th overall but he is a competent player and will be useful at the nhl level.

some of the criticisms of his game are comical.
I think his game will improve a lot well when he puts on another 10 pounds of muscle.

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
I think his game will improve a lot well when he puts on another 10 pounds of muscle.

His game will improve most when the team around him improves most. He will improve too, but the scale of improvement, when the team improves will affect seriously on his production.

That's the the day when the last nay-sayers will understand why did we draft him.

Then it's the day when people in Carolina wonder why Martin Necas (who we should have drafted insted of Rasmussen! or Vilardi!) won't have a physical player or a net-front player on his line. Skill player wasted because lack of role player. And we have Raymond feeding Rasmussen like mad and Rasmussen being as dominant as net-front as Seider at defensive end.

That's the day when everybody is wondering why doesn't the corsi-darling Carolina Hurricanes still won't have success, even though they look best all the time in advanced stats. Because they are lacking a high-danger-zone dominant player, like Michael Rasmussen. They have too much skill because they have drafted only skill/potential and lack those players who go to hard areas to finish plays.

That's the day.

Last edited:

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
His game will improve most when the team around him improves most. He will improve too, but the scale of improvement, when the team improves will affect seriously on his production.

That's the the day when the last nay-sayers will understand why did we draft him.

Then it's the day when people in Carolina wonder why Martin Necas (who we should have drafted insted of Rasmussen! or Vilardi!) won't have a physical player or a net-front player on his line. Skill player wasted because lack of role player. And we have Raymond feeding Rasmussen like mad and Rasmussen being as dominant as net-front as Seider at defensive end.

That's the day when everybody is wondering why doesn't the corsi-darling Carolina Hurricanes still won't have success, even though they look best all the time in advanced stats. Because they are lacking a high-danger-zone dominant player, like Michael Rasmussen. They have too much skill because they have drafted only skill/potential and lack those players who go to hard areas to finish plays.

That's the day.

Svechnikov is a great down low player. Staal has traditionally played low, Justin Williams is known for his play around the net. The Canes had plenty of balance, they just didn't play well enough, it was kind of surprising, they never seemed to hit top gear. Nino is a net crash guy, they have some role players that like to get in and grind on the forecheck. They just seem to be missing something and have the question marks in goal.

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
Svechnikov is a great down low player. Staal has traditionally played low, Justin Williams is known for his play around the net. The Canes had plenty of balance, they just didn't play well enough, it was kind of surprising, they never seemed to hit top gear. Nino is a net crash guy, they have some role players that like to get in and grind on the forecheck. They just seem to be missing something and have the question marks in goal.

Yeah, they have had guys. But Williams retired. Staal is getting older. Think Niederreiter suffered from injuries.

They are starting to lack those guys in future core. Thats the question/speculation. Should have Rasmussen instead of Necas. :D Are Wings fans ready for that trade?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad