News Article: Gravel Impressing During AHL Rookie Season

Raccoon Jesus

Todd McLellan is an inside agent
Oct 30, 2008
I.E.
I want to see him stick around for sure, but I'm not sure what to make of him at this point given the logjam in Manchester at D. I'd love to see him take another leap forward next year, which is likely with the pro experience, I just hope that's in the plans. I haven't gotten to watch as much Manch as I'd like, but when I do, he's just there eating up time and space, which is perfect for his role, but he does look a lot more natural/comfortable.

Reaper45

Jul 14, 2003
Los Angeles
With Forbort and Miller ahead of him I'm not sure he's in the long term plans. And with no one signing him to an NHL deal so far this season, maybe he's just not that good.

bob77

Nov 19, 2014
I watch all of the Manch games. He's playing very well. He skates well, plays defensive positioning well. At times you almost think him and Forbort are the same player. One advantage for Gravel is that for many games this year, he hasn't had to play back to back games. He's been rotating with Ebert and Raine. Also, when someone out of miller, schultz, bods, or Loverde have been out, he almost always is placed on one of these pairings. FORBORT meanwhile, plays every game, and every night it seems like he's placed with a different partner, usually Ebert, raine, or Gravel. Yet, it doesn't Impact his play. To me, if they had gravel under a Kings contract, I think they would play him more. I would definitely place his play this year just after only Miller and Forbort.

Peter James Bond II

Mar 5, 2015
Good article, thanks.

I do know that Tonellisghost loved Gravel and thought he had a future. TG 'retired'
from here it seems. So it seems what was lacking was the compete level and not Kevin's abilities and tools. It's good to know that Stothers says he has improved
immensely. Kevin turns 23 tomorrow, so it's not like he really has the 3 year
pro development time, that many AHLers take. Once a prospect hits 25, less of a chance to make it.

Would behoove him if he was right handed. With Forbert, Miller and even Ladue
moving up the D lists, it will not be easy to make it here. Even with the loss
of McKeown, there's still Ebert, Leslie, Lintuniemi, MacDermid, and Roach.

I guess we'll know if the Kings believe he has a future, if offered an NHL contract.

damacles1156

Feb 5, 2010
I think Gravel has the best Hockey IQ out of Forbort/Miller.

But that alone, doesn't get you in the NHL.

bob77

Nov 19, 2014
Good article, thanks.

I do know that Tonellisghost loved Gravel and thought he had a future. TG 'retired'
from here it seems. So it seems what was lacking was the compete level and not Kevin's abilities and tools. It's good to know that Stothers says he has improved
immensely. Kevin turns 23 tomorrow, so it's not like he really has the 3 year
pro development time, that many AHLers take. Once a prospect hits 25, less of a chance to make it.

Would behoove him if he was right handed. With Forbert, Miller and even Ladue
moving up the D lists, it will not be easy to make it here. Even with the loss
of McKeown, there's still Ebert, Leslie, Lintuniemi, MacDermid, and Roach.

I guess we'll know if the Kings believe he has a future, if offered an NHL contract.

One thing to understand about LaDue is that he's only six months younger than Forbort and Gravel, yet still in college. Kids start college later these days after playing USHL junior hockey. Both Forbort and Gravel were true 18 year old freshman.

Raccoon Jesus

Todd McLellan is an inside agent
Oct 30, 2008
I.E.
I watch all of the Manch games. He's playing very well. He skates well, plays defensive positioning well. At times you almost think him and Forbort are the same player. One advantage for Gravel is that for many games this year, he hasn't had to play back to back games. He's been rotating with Ebert and Raine. Also, when someone out of miller, schultz, bods, or Loverde have been out, he almost always is placed on one of these pairings. FORBORT meanwhile, plays every game, and every night it seems like he's placed with a different partner, usually Ebert, raine, or Gravel. Yet, it doesn't Impact his play. To me, if they had gravel under a Kings contract, I think they would play him more. I would definitely place his play this year just after only Miller and Forbort.

I was thinking this as well but just wasn't sure if I wanted to say it because of my limited viewings!

CNS

A World Alone
May 24, 2008
Didn't even time it for his birthday. Pretty convenient. :laugh:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad