Confirmed with Link: Grantland: Alfie/Heater/Yashin epic heelturns

Karl Eriksson

Boring!
Apr 12, 2007
Ottawa
http://www.grantland.com/blog/the-triangle/post/_/id/68778/the-best-heel-turns-in-nhl-history

I don't really disagree with the list, or the statements. But I think the cirumstances that each of the three left the sens under are so different.

When Yashin left fans were happy, he sat out a year, and was a cancer, and his career went downhill

When Heater left we felt betrayed, but in hindsight, it went well considering where his career is, and how useful some of the pieces we got back ended up being.

Alfie...no real silver lining there, but I think some of us respect why he left

Last edited:

McManked

Ooh to be a Gooner
Jan 16, 2011
Edmonton, AB
Why is this confirmed with link?

When I saw confirmed with link and saw Yashin's name, I got really, really, really, really, really, really scared.

YouGotAStuGoing

Mar 26, 2010
Ottawa, Ontario
I think the point of the last two weren't so much to draw on the similarities of the situations, which I agree are tenuous at best. I think it was just to show that being bailed on so suddenly doesn't really have to be a bad thing in the long run.

I'm surprised Kovalchuk didn't make the list given that the event is so fresh.

Also, :laugh: at Confirmed with link.

Nac Mac Feegle

wee & free
Jun 10, 2011
Nah...not a heel turn for Alfredsson. Just a head scratcher.

But Heatley...glad that pos is gone. And having that little **** Cooke on the Wild just makes me hate that team even more. And to think I used to like the North Stars back in the day (not the same franchise, but still). Heatley, two incredibly stupid long term contracts, and now Cooke. There's the ultimate heel franchise right there.

KA BLAMO

Aug 18, 2008
Not even going to bother opening the link, but how could you even compare Alfie to Heatley and Yashin?

Vesa Awesaka

#KeepTheSenate
Jul 4, 2013
Yashin was never a bad player in Ottawa just a bad person . Heatley was never a bad player just a bad person . Alfie was never a bad player and in no way hand cuffed the organization like the other two . His contract was up . He owed us nothing we owed him nothing. He did however hurt the pride of the organization but as far as im concerned he acted classy with his departure.

BigZKingK

Mar 4, 2012
Dont Confirmed with Link us if it`s not a trade or signing i got scared when i saw Heater and Yashin

BrawlFan

Apr 17, 2009
Alfie had every right to leave under any circumstance he wanted so I cant compare him to the other two. I'm dissapointed and dont wish him any success on Detroit. I wish him failure after failure, but I'm not gonna cry over his worthless ass anymore.

As for Yashin and Heatley. When the Yashin trade happened I remember the writers saying that basically what Ottawa was getting was a #1C in Spez, a tough role player D in Chara and a throwaway in McKult. McKult didnt score a goal all year (awesome lol always wished he stayed haha) Chara turned into Chara and Spezza is still around so I think ppl knew we won that trade.

The Heatley trade looked horrendous when it happened but could you imagine if you did the Edmonton deal? Cogliano is a bust, Penner was ok but Michalek is better. The only difference is that we would have had Smid instead of a 2nd. 2nd was used on Lehner.

I think we did good on both. Hopefully the trend continues and Alfie can suck moving forward a lot like Yashin and Heater.

Legend Killer

Nov 15, 2007
So there is no difference between demanding a trade and leaving as a free agent?

Slight...

Heatley demanded a trade for unknown reasons... And and hasnt spoke about it since...

Alfredsson has always said he never wanted to play anywhere else...only wanted to win if it was here, blah blah... Dragged his decision on... Announced he was coming back(to Ottawa) Barely negotiates a contract, then in the matter of a couple of days realizes its his "dream" to win a Stanley Cup and signs in Detroif? Then tells Murray "think of it as me retiring"...

Im happy he is gone because Ive never been an Alfie fan... As far as im concerned they both left for BS reasons... And neither has spoken to the Ottawa media about it...

Iggy77

Oct 5, 2009
Ottawa, ON
Slight...

Yashin was the worst, although didn't the team make some verbal promise to him that he'd always be the highest paid player or something? So long ago ...

Alfie was a free agent, he was free to leave. Sucks how it happened but he was loyal while he was under contract (more than loyal).

Heatley signed a huge contract with the team and betrayed that. Yes he is technically allowed to request a trade but the way he handled it and the reasons had me worried Melnyk would never give anyone big money again.

Heatley left because of Clouston and the team was declining. What's happened to him since was karma :)

TeamRenzo

Jul 20, 2009
To me there is no real difference between Heatley & Alfredsson...

Dude, let it go. Alfie left as a UFA, Heatley was signed to a multi year contract and then asked for a trade and then vetoed the first trade.

It sucked that Alfie is playing against us now but he was a good soldier for us.

Legend Killer

Nov 15, 2007
Dude, let it go. Alfie left as a UFA, Heatley was signed to a multi year contract and then asked for a trade and then vetoed the first trade.

It sucked that Alfie is playing against us now but he was a good soldier for us.

Dude... Ive never been an Alfie fan... Im glad he is gone... There is nothing for me to "let go" of...

I agree he was a good soldier for us but that doesnt mean anything when you pull off what he did... Heatley was a good soldier while he was here too... He had an NTC and used it to veto a trade to a place he didnt want to go...

Back in Black

All Sports would be great if they were Hockey
Jan 30, 2012
In the Penalty Box
When Yashin left fans were happy, he sat out a year, and was a cancer, and his career went downhill

When Heater left we felt betrayed, but in hindsight, it went well considering where his career is, and how useful some of the pieces we got back ended up being.

Alfie...no real silver lining there, but I think some of us respect why he left

Don't forget to include Oh-oh Corvo....:sarcasm:

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON
People who have always hated Daniel Alfredsson feel vindicated somehow.

Those who have always liked him:
(a) Still support him.
(b) Have moved on - he's on another team.
(c) Hold a grudge.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad