Speculation: Grand rapids roster next season

Hockeyfannnn91

Jan 26, 2019
im sure alot of players alot of players are expecting to make the wings next season wont as im sure stevie will try and tank again for wright or lambert

Lock for grand rapids

Joe veleno - in my eyes i can totally see yzerman starting him up there at least till the trade deadline

Albin grewe - he was coming down prior to the pandemic, hes a lock

Jared mcisaac - provided hes hopefully past his injuries he’ll be there

Keith petruzzelli- provided he signs with us , he’s there

Albert johansson - had an exceptional yr in the shl im sure we’ll convince him to come over

Question marks

Raymond - hes going to miss two months now so im unsure if he’ll just return for one last season , come down to grand rapids to start or they think hes just too good he’ll start up in detroit

Berggren - i can 100% see him in detroit but again with yzerman wanting a top pick i can see him starting at least in grand rapids

Alex cotton - going to be 20 and we’ll have one season left to decide whether to sign him or not so i can see him coming to grand rapids and see how he performs in a mens league

Otto kivenmaki - dont know what the team thinks of him but hes 21 and its pretty much now or never

Sebrango - hes playing here now due to pandemic , i can see him returning to juniors as there might be a surplus of dmen

Setkov & kotkansalo - we have to decide whether to sign them or lose their rights, id personally sign setkov whos 22 to a one year deal being hes 6’8 and see how he reacts in grand rapids

Tuomisto & mastrosimone - guessing they return to ncaa

Projecting the Roster

? Veleno berggren
Elson criscuolo barber
Grewe kivenmaki ?
? Turgeon ?

Johansson ?
Lashoff cotton
Mcisaac mcllrath
Setkov

Petruzzelli
?

Its tough projecting which veterans they bring back , maybe they sign some ncaa kids or someone from europe , guessing grand rapids will have some nice names to keep an eye out for

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
This is the most diffucult thing to predict, because there is just too many variables in the play. Easier at next july.

Last edited:

Hockeyfannnn91

Jan 26, 2019
This is the most diffucult thing to predict, because these is just too many variables in the play. Easier at next july.
For sure , just think yzerman will try to tank again and have another off season of signing vets to 1 yr deals

Think veleno,grewe,johansson,petruzzelli,mcisaac,berggren alone will be a reason to tune into games next fall

Ghost of Ethan Hunt

The Official Ghost of Space Ghosts Monkey
Jun 23, 2018
Top Secret Moon Base
Re: Setkov, I'd find a way to keep him in the organization. 22yo, 6'8" Dmen will take more time to develop. Z.Chara was traded at age 24 to OTT & didn't have a Chara-esque impact season til age 25. I'd keep him til at least age 24-25, unless he flat out busts.
More seasoning in SHL-1styr, AHL-2ndyr, 3rd yr-boom NHL ready Behemoth, possible trade chip.

Hoping: Berggren-JV-Raymond all start in DET. Betting JV & Raymond start in Det, Berggren in GR, but called up no later than mid-season.

Hoping: AlJo & McIsaac, Grewe fortify GR. Sebrango is anybody's guess atp.

Hockeyfannnn91

Jan 26, 2019
Re: Setkov, I'd find a way to keep him in the organization. 22yo, 6'8" Dmen will take more time to develop. Z.Chara was traded at age 24 to OTT & didn't have a Chara-esque impact season til age 25. I'd keep him til at least age 24-25, unless he flat out busts.
More seasoning in SHL-1styr, AHL-2ndyr, 3rd yr-boom NHL ready Behemoth, possible trade chip.

Hoping: Berggren-JV-Raymond all start in DET. Betting JV & Raymond start in Det, Berggren in GR, but called up no later than mid-season.

Hoping: AlJo & McIsaac, Grewe fortify GR. Sebrango is anybody's guess atp.

Sadly i think jv raymond berggren to start in detroit is a pipe dream for us fans , yzerman knows how huge 2022 draft is and will be willing to wait one more year

Ghost of Ethan Hunt

Jun 23, 2018
Top Secret Moon Base
Sadly i think jv raymond berggren to start in detroit is a pipe dream for us fans , yzerman knows how huge 2022 draft is and will be willing to wait one more year
Maybe, but it's not like any of them are expected to be lights out production, rather L3 average production is more likely, with Raymond flirting with 40+? Those #'s won't move the needle much if at all.

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
Raymond never plays single game of AHL.

Other than for conditioning stint after injury later on his career.

Other guys will need maturing, yeah.

Hockeyfannnn91

Jan 26, 2019
Maybe, but it's not like any of them are expected to be lights out production, rather L3 average production is more likely, with Raymond flirting with 40+? Those #'s won't move the needle much if at all.
Maybe , but do we really expect yzerman to ice a team of 7-9 virtual rookies? This is the price we pay for delaying shit yearly

Rasmussen,smith will be here , played in nhl but never had a full season and i expect chase pearson to make it on the 4th line would be 3 already + seider + cholowski 5 rookies basically on and if get an competent coach we likely keep svechnikov thats 6 guys with almost no nhl experience

Im sure yzerman will then look to sign some ufa’s to 1 year deals on good money like last season until the trade deadline

I could be 100% wrong but i cant see veleno,raymond,berggren not being in grand rapids, maybe 1 squeaks by in detroit

We’ll what stevie has in store for us

Reactions: David D

Hockeyfannnn91

Jan 26, 2019
Raymond never plays single game of AHL.

Other than for conditioning stint after injury later on his career.

Other guys will need maturing, yeah.
I wouldnt be surprised if he starts there , maybe wont last the year but i can see it , also can see him staying in the shl one more year . Raymond is up in the air for me he can go anywhere at this point

Hockeyfannnn91

Jan 26, 2019
Veleno takes a while to adjust to a higher league, so it would probably help the tank.
Hes picking it up in the shl , i think he can help detroit next year game 1 but we have so many virtual rookies and yzerman wants to tank ... 2022 draft will be huge for us so i can see him playing the patient game and adding some older cheaper vets

Ghost of Ethan Hunt

Jun 23, 2018
Top Secret Moon Base
upload_2021-3-7_16-14-4.png

Maybe , but do we really expect yzerman to ice a team of 7-9 virtual rookies? This is the price we pay for delaying shit yearly

Rasmussen,smith will be here , played in nhl but never had a full season and i expect chase pearson to make it on the 4th line would be 3 already + seider + cholowski 5 rookies basically on and if get an competent coach we likely keep svechnikov thats 6 guys with almost no nhl experience

Im sure yzerman will then look to sign some ufa’s to 1 year deals on good money like last season until the trade deadline

I could be 100% wrong but i cant see veleno,raymond,berggren not being in grand rapids, maybe 1 squeaks by in detroit

We’ll what stevie has in store for us

First you argue that having JV/Ray/JB up in DET to start wouldn't be good as it would negatively impact our potential draft position (aka hurt the tank/"tank"). Then later it's about the # of rookies (which normally helps a tank or a "tank") in DET. Kinda contradictory reasoning.

I understand what you're trying to say in the latter & already responded to the former. Besides, I'm guessing 1 of Cholo/Svech won't be in DET to start '21, or in the organization. Svech could play lights out given the opp. again (after TDL) & maybe claim a spot. Cholo is the odd man out, imo.

1. Seider-we already know he belongs in NHL now, could've made 1/2 the teams @ 18yo/D+1 (GR). Not a real "rookie".

2. Berg-JV-Ray =upto 4 Rookies
+Pearson

3. Lindstrom/Ras/Svech/Smith = 4 Newbies (rooks w/NHL gp, got over the initial shock).

Cholo...

if all 10 make DET in '21-'22, they won't start in DET.

To start in DET (best case scenario):
Only Seider, Lindstrom, JV, Ray, Ras, Smith + possibly Berg = upto 7 total.

Last edited:

Hockeyfannnn91

Jan 26, 2019
View attachment 404496

First you argue that having JV/Ray/JB up in DET to start wouldn't be good as it would negatively impact our potential draft position (aka hurt the tank/"tank"). Then later it's about the # of rookies (which normally helps a tank or a "tank") in DET. Kinda contradictory reasoning.

I understand what you're trying to say in the latter & already responded to the former. Besides, I'm guessing 1 of Cholo/Svech won't be in DET to start '21, or in the organization. Svech could play lights out given the opp. again (after TDL) & maybe claim a spot. Cholo is the odd man out, imo.

1. Seider-we already know he belongs in NHL now, could've made 1/2 the teams @ 18yo/D+1 (GR). Not a real "rookie".

2. Berg-JV-Ray =upto 4 Rookies
+Pearson

3. Lindstrom/Ras/Svech/Smith = 4 Newbies (rooks w/NHL gp, got over the initial shock).

Cholo...

if all 10 make DET in '21-'22, they won't in DET.

To start in DET (best case scenario):
Only Seider, Lindstrom, JV, Ray, Ras, Smith + possibly Berg = upto 7 total.

Im sure you agree yzerman will want to tank , i still cant see him putting all these guys in at the same time in a yr he 100% wants to tank , we can still tank with a armia signed 1 yr etc...

And yes yzerman also will likely want to not have close to 10 guys with no experience on the ice at the same time, you disagree? Yes it would be a complete shit show but I doubt yzerman wants to scar all our prospects. you think this seasons bad try icing 10 rookies and you can only imagine

Cholowski odd man out how? It would be moronic to expose him to the draft , our powerplay is garbage and he can help us . We bitched about svechnikov for the longest time and hes proving us right , will he keep it up?likely not but he deserves a spot with what we have and its the same case with cholowski

I can totally see a cholowski seider pairing next season , heck look at what stetcher is doing for staal , put him with stetcher and let cholowski concentrate more on his game and help us score

Your #3 point , do they have nhl experience? Yes but barely , theyre virtually rookies with barely any experience ... anyways we agree they wont all make it to start and the number will likely fall in the 6-7 ballpark we just disagree on the players

Lindstrom i suspect will be seattle’s pick

Gniwder

Oct 12, 2009
Bellingham, WA
Hes picking it up in the shl , i think he can help detroit next year game 1 but we have so many virtual rookies and yzerman wants to tank ... 2022 draft will be huge for us so i can see him playing the patient game and adding some older cheaper vets
NHL is a bigger jump. I expect him to struggle his first year or at least the first half of the season, then he'll find his game.

I think the team has to be patient with him, start him on the 4th line and move him up from there. So I actually want him on the roster next season, to set up for 2023 season, where I expect the team to start moving up in the standings.

I think he's the most NHL ready prospect other than Seider because they're both already at NHL size, strength, and speed.

Ghost of Ethan Hunt

Jun 23, 2018
Top Secret Moon Base

Im sure you agree yzerman will want to tank , i still cant see him putting all these guys in at the same time in a yr he 100% wants to tank , we can still tank with a armia signed 1 yr etc...

And yes yzerman also will likely want to not have close to 10 guys with no experience on the ice at the same time, you disagree? Yes it would be a complete shit show but I doubt yzerman wants to scar all our prospects. you think this seasons bad try icing 10 rookies and you can only imagine

Cholowski odd man out how? It would be moronic to expose him to the draft , our powerplay is garbage and he can help us . We bitched about svechnikov for the longest time and hes proving us right , will he keep it up?likely not but he deserves a spot with what we have and its the same case with cholowski

I can totally see a cholowski seider pairing next season , heck look at what stetcher is doing for staal , put him with stetcher and let cholowski concentrate more on his game and help us score

Your #3 point , do they have nhl experience? Yes but barely , theyre virtually rookies with barely any experience ... anyways we agree they wont all make it to start and the number will likely fall in the 6-7 ballpark we just disagree on the players

Lindstrom i suspect will be seattle’s pick
1. Cholo has 88gp in NHL & 3 yrs as a Pro...not a rookie. If he keeps playing PPG in GR & reasonable defense, sure he may stick. I'd protect Lindstrom over him either way. Stech or Cholo would then be protected/lost. Neither has a ceiling higher than #4 on a playoff bubble team at best, imo. I'd rather the smooth/calm steady shutdown guy, vs. hot-potato puck carrier with low D acumen/soft etc.

2. I never claimed "10 would make it"...go back & re-read. I said "7 best case.."

3. Svech, really rooting for him (like all Wings prospects), but I'm not an NHL GM/scout/professional staff/coach, so they know better.

4. Armia lol. I wanna get away from as many band-aids as possible. Let the kids play or find better players, not plugs having a career year @ UFA.

Hockeyfannnn91

Jan 26, 2019
NHL is a bigger jump. I expect him to struggle his first year or at least the first half of the season, then he'll find his game.

I think the team has to be patient with him, start him on the 4th line and move him up from there. So I actually want him on the roster next season, to set up for 2023 season, where I expect the team to start moving up in the standings.

I think he's the most NHL ready prospect other than Seider because they're both already at NHL size, strength, and speed.
Yes im expecting us to start moving up after the 2022 draft , i like veleno im just expecting yzerman to start him in grand rapids . Well see what he does

Hockeyfannnn91

Jan 26, 2019
1. Cholo has 88gp in NHL & 3 yrs as a Pro...not a rookie. If he keeps playing PPG in GR & reasonable defense, sure he may stick. I'd protect Lindstrom over him either way. Stech or Cholo would then be protected/lost. Neither has a ceiling higher than #4 on a playoff bubble team at best, imo. I'd rather the smooth/calm steady shutdown guy, vs. hot-potato puck carrier with low D acumen/soft etc.

2. I never claimed "10 would make it"...go back & re-read. I said "7 best case.."

3. Svech, really rooting for him (like all Wings prospects), but I'm not an NHL GM/scout/professional staff/coach, so they know better.

4. Armia lol. I wanna get away from as many band-aids as possible. Let the kids play or find better players, not plugs having a career year @ UFA.

Yes i wouldnt have cholowski in the same category as smith and lindstrom etc... but i believe like half of those were his rookie season so its been a while since hes had anything close to an nhl season . Surprise surprise haha guess we differ again no way i dont protect cholowski, especially over lindstrom

Why would stech or cholo be lost? Unless im missing something im protecting hronek,stetcher and id go with cholowski thus leaving lindstrom,djoos as someone they might look at

Lindstrom is a 3rd pair dman and those are alot easier to sign or aquire in a trade + we hot mcisaac,sebrango etc... maybe setkov as mentioned above as players who can one day be on the 3rd pair Lets give cholowski a chance on the ppl this season before we completely write him off , but again i suspect youll disagree and thats cool

I will say if someone calls and offers a 2nd rounder for 2 playoffs with stetcher i got zero qualms about trading him and protecting hronek,cholowski,lindstrom ... id just push for a 2022 pick

Yes , and i said we disagreed on which players would be included in those 7 , anyways

I root for every player we have even though i might not agree with some players we draft over others available (rasmussen for example) i just think we’ve mismanaged svechnikov (like dennis) and its embarrassing hes even on the 5th line at practice with how hes been producing and larkin/bertuzzi out, but anyways f*** jeff

Armia was an example but i can see 1-3 players like him signed for one year ss trade bait and to by more time for kids and get our top 2022 pick , again as said we shall see what stevie has in store very soon

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad