Prospect Info: Grand Rapids Griffins Discussion

jaster

Take me off ignore, please.
Jun 8, 2007
In pre-covid years, GRG usually kept 8 D on the roster, at least until December
I think it's a bit less ideal this time around, with there being so many prospects and them all playing the same side. Something will have to give, whether its kids playing their off-side, not playing at all, or being sent to the coast.

OgeeOgelthorpe

Baldina
Feb 29, 2020
I think it's a bit less ideal this time around, with there being so many prospects and them all playing the same side. Something will have to give, whether its kids playing their off-side, not playing at all, or being sent to the coast.

I'd bet money that someone will get loaned back to their Euro club at some point if things don't go smooth.

Pavels Dog

Feb 18, 2013
Sweden
Rotation is normal, it happens most years. It's also probably one of those problems that only truly exist in that imaginary world where everyone is healthy all at the same time, which happens like 2 days per season.

jaster

Jun 8, 2007
Rotation is normal, it happens most years. It's also probably one of those problems that only truly exist in that imaginary world where everyone is healthy all at the same time, which happens like 2 days per season.
We'll see. I'm just saying, this is a bit unprecedented, and something has to give. I mentioned some possibilities of things that can give, but yes, injuries are possible too. Either way, none of the possibilities are good. Ideally, you want your prospects healthy, playing at the right level, playing the right position, and playing every night. But that can't happen in this case.

Pavels Dog

Feb 18, 2013
Sweden
We'll see. I'm just saying, this is a bit unprecedented, and something has to give. I mentioned some possibilities of things that can give, but yes, injuries are possible too. Either way, none of the possibilities are good. Ideally, you want your prospects healthy, playing at the right level, playing the right position, and playing every night. But that can't happen in this case.
Well, ideally you want your prospects to make it difficult NOT to play them. If someone ends up being the odd man out of the lineup too often, they probably aren't playing well enough and probably don't have much future with the organization.

jaster

Jun 8, 2007
Well, ideally you want your prospects to make it difficult NOT to play them. If someone ends up being the odd man out of the lineup too often, they probably aren't playing well enough and probably don't have much future with the organization.
Perhaps. And that kind of sorting may indeed happen throughout the course of the season, but it's unlikely to happen in the first weeks, or even months.

waltdetroit

Jul 20, 2010
I don't know what's up with the Walleye, but they only have 5 players listed on this years roster. Maybe the DRW & GRG are going to send more players there. It's been awhile since LFG and Mrazek played there,

griffs

Sep 17, 2012
Grand Rapids, Mi
There was a lot of talk about the veteran rule earlier in the thread, There was a change a few years back that in addition to games played rules a player must be 25 or older as of July 1st of the season to be considered a vet. In the past that gave GR 1 extra year with Hicketts and Turegeon before they hit vet status.

Reactions: jaster

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
New roster projection from earlier post. Now I've seen these new guys more, like L'esperance, Andreasson, Luff etc.

New info is that Chase Pearson is out and Joey L'esperance is used as Center. I always thought he was just natural RW.

RW Matt Luff (1.03 ppg AHL), point per game player at AHL, many NHL games.
W Berggren (0.91 ppg AHL)
RW Hirose (0.91 ppg AHL)
C/RW Spezia (0.49 ppg AHL)
RW Bliss

C Czarnik (0.97 ppg AHL, 400k AHL salary) also NHL experience like Luff
C Criscuolo (0.68 ppg AHL, 190k AHL salary)
C/RW L'esperance (0.79 ppg AHL)
C Shine (0.45 ppg AHL)
C Pearson (0.36 ppg AHL)

W Söderblom (0.66 ppg SHL including playoffs + champ league)
W Givani Smith
LW/C Andreasson (0.78 ppg at SHL including playoffs)
LW Hanas
LW Tyutyayev
LW Piercey ?

This is insanely stacked group of forwards. 11 best scorers, also some role players in the mix. I think Cross Hanas will get that 12th spot and will play, even though he doesn't have any pro experience. Time to start collecting that is today.

So there's some options.

Berggren - Czarnik - Söderblom - this line was used at Pittsburgh. (or Givani Smith, if he is waived and Söderblom at NHL)
Andreasson - Criscuolo - Luff
Hanas - Shine - Hirose (was used vs. Pittsburgh)
Piercey - L'Esperance - Spezia
Tyutyayev - Worrad - Spezia (was used vs. Pittsburgh)

Also
Piercey - Criscuolo - Smith was used vs. Chicago.
Andreasson played with Luff vs. Chicago

Last edited:

Fil Larkmanthanasiou

Feb 10, 2018
Lots of prospects on the GR blueline this season with Sebrango and MacIsaac returning and Edvinsson (possibly), Johansson and Viro coming over to NA.
I hope that isn't a factor for deciding whether or not to sign Biakubutuka who has probably been the best of them other than Ed up until his last game played (the Wings' first preseason game). Someone will probably have to be relegated to Toledo even if Edvinsson makes the Wings and Biakabutuka goes to Chicago

I think they may have decided that there is no room for Jeremie B which is a mistake in my opinion. He is big, a good skater, physical and he was real gud in all of the opportunities he was afforded. He certainly deserved another look.

"Chicago Wolves executive Gene Ubriaco told Detroit Hockey Now his team offered Biakabutuka an AHL deal. Ubriaco and Wolves GM Wendell Young liked his play at the NHL Prospect Tournament at Traverse City, Mich. Ubriaco is the team’s director of hockey operations.

“If you want to find a diamond in the rough you have to find someone who sparkles,” Ubriaco said. He is a former Pittsburgh Penguins head coach.
Undoubtedly, Biakabutuka wants to see what happens with the Red Wings before making decisions about his future."

SantosHalper

Get off my lawn
Mar 21, 2012
somewhere around nothing
Berggren - Veleno - Andreasson
Hirose - Czarnik - Luff
Smith - Criscuolo - L'Esperance
Hanas - Bliss/Worrad - Shine
Tyutyayev - Bliss/Worrad - Spezia
Lacroix

Pearson?

Lashoff - Johansson
Sebrango - Kampfer
Viro/McIsaac - Newpower
Viro/McIsaac - Barton

Biakabatuka?

That's one deep roster. Red Wings can sign even more depth pieces later, depending of course how their season go and far their team go during the post season. Plandowski, Zito(turns 20 in June, ATO?), Stange, Mastrosimo, Phillips, Moore, Gyrlander, Bednar, O'Reilly and Adams could get signed. Riley Piercey might have a shot getting signed later as well. Is there any potential undrafted NCAA guys who should we keep our eyes open for?

Very intresting hockey season ahead of us, GR is in the Calder cup race and Toledo played in the finals last year. Both our affiliated teams could bring the championship home.

OgeeOgelthorpe

Baldina
Feb 29, 2020
Hirose - Czarnik - Luff
Lacroix

Pearson?

Lashoff - Johansson
Sebrango - Kampfer
Viro/McIsaac - Newpower
Viro/McIsaac - Barton

Biakabatuka?

That's one deep roster. Red Wings can sign even more depth pieces later, depending of course how their season go and far their team go during the post season. Plandowski, Zito(turns 20 in June, ATO?), Stange, Mastrosimo, Phillips, Moore, Gyrlander, Bednar, O'Reilly and Adams could get signed. Riley Piercey might have a shot getting signed later as well. Is there any potential undrafted NCAA guys who should we keep our eyes open for?

Very intresting hockey season ahead of us, GR is in the Calder cup race and Toledo played in the finals last year. Both our affiliated teams could bring the championship home.

Biakabatuka has very raw puck skills but his athleticism is at a plus level. He might start out as bottom pair in GR but could develop into something serviceable if he can clean up his puck handling and passing. I think that ship has sailed for Barton and McIsaac.

Reactions: SantosHalper

SantosHalper

Get off my lawn
Mar 21, 2012
somewhere around nothing
Lashoff - Johansson
Sebrango - Kampfer
Viro/McIsaac - Newpower
Viro/McIsaac - Barton

Biakabatuka?
Lashoff - Johansson
Edvinsson - Kampfer
Sebrango - Newpower
Viro - Barton
McIsaac - Biakabatuka?

Gets even deeper if Edvinsson starts in GR, i would pair up Ed & AlJo with the vets. Oesterle or Hagg gets waived sooner or later, i don't see them getting traded.

Reactions: Henkka

Cyborg Yzerberg

Nov 8, 2007
Philadelphia
Hirose - Czarnik - Luff
Lacroix

Pearson?

Lashoff - Johansson
Sebrango - Kampfer
Viro/McIsaac - Newpower
Viro/McIsaac - Barton

Biakabatuka?

I don’t see Veleno going to GR.

OgeeOgelthorpe

Baldina
Feb 29, 2020
Calder Cup. That roster is damn good and deep.

Czarnik, Luff, Kampfer, former NHLrs. European adds are good etc. Definitely better goaltending. It just so much better building at every position.

I'm kind of in agreement. This is the best GR roster in a long time. I still think Ben Simon is a trash level coach though.

Reactions: Unfriendly Ghost

SantosHalper

Get off my lawn
Mar 21, 2012
somewhere around nothing
I don’t see Veleno going to GR.
Trade would have to happen then, if both Copp and Sundqvist are healthy for opening game.
Bert - Larkin - Ray
Vrana - Copp - Perron
Zadina - Ras - Kubalik
Erne - Suter/Sundqvist - Söderblom

No point to sit Veleno in the stands. Big minutes in GR and a chance to work on his offensive game. Also a good oppurtunity get his confidence high, he is going to get call up to be a regular sooner or later. Since he is waiver exempt, we might as well use that.

Pavels Dog

Feb 18, 2013
Sweden
Trade would have to happen then, if both Copp and Sundqvist are healthy for opening game.
Bert - Larkin - Ray
Vrana - Copp - Perron
Zadina - Ras - Kubalik
Erne - Suter/Sundqvist - Söderblom

No point to sit Veleno in the stands.
Suter & Sundqvist/Erne are likely the odd men out.

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland

No point to sit Veleno in the stands.

It's sad to say, but Veleno has least to give for our NHL roster.

Suter is better center, other wingers are better role players. Söderblom has higher upside. Veleno and Zadina really have to start pushing themselves.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad