Prospect Info: Grand Rapids Griffins 2013/14 Part II

Status
Not open for further replies.

jaster

Take me off ignore, please.
Jun 8, 2007
but he's played a few games that have been far better than anything Glendening is capable of.

Nah. Sheahan has played 4 games. His first two were wholly unremarkable. Against the Leafs he played with offensive players and had a very good game. Looked pretty good in his last game, but nothing spectacular. I'll give him the one game as being better than Glendening's average performance. The other 3 weren't though.

Run the Jewels

Make Detroit Great Again
Jun 22, 2006
In the Garage
I've seen Jarnkrok play in person a handful of times, and I really struggle to see some of what you are taking about. He's easily the most underwhelming prospect to see in person, at least based on their reputation/ranking.

My best friend that goes to AHL games with me was a pretty good hockey player, and knows the game well, always says "THAT is supposed to be your #1 prospect"??? And I just say yeah, I guess so.

Well it's gotta be because you and your friend can't look into his mind and deem it to be an NHL mind. That's a special talent that few have. :sarcasm:

ChadS

Jun 30, 2009
I think Glendening is better if we're talking about strictly a 4th line energy role, though.
This is why I think they kept him up. Sheahan has more upside, is 2 years younger and will probably benefit from more ice time and a large & more offensive role in GR.

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
Nah. Sheahan has played 4 games. His first two were wholly unremarkable. Against the Leafs he played with offensive players and had a very good game. Looked pretty good in his last game, but nothing spectacular. I'll give him the one game as being better than Glendening's average performance. The other 3 weren't though.

Sensing some Wolverine bias ;)

newfy

Jul 28, 2010
This is why I think they kept him up. Sheahan has more upside, is 2 years younger and will probably benefit from more ice time and a large & more offensive role in GR.

This is exactly the reason I bet

Run the Jewels

Make Detroit Great Again
Jun 22, 2006
In the Garage

I'm sure that's the reason but does anyone seriously expect Sheahan to become a top 6 forward? He's a plugger, a rich man's Joakim Andersson. Nothing wrong with that, but why not continue to develop him into an elite shutdown center against the best talent in the world? You know, just in case Darren Helm never gets back to being a guy who can play 75 games a year?

ChadS

Jun 30, 2009
I'm sure that's the reason but does anyone seriously expect Sheahan to become a top 6 forward? He's a plugger, a rich man's Joakim Andersson. Nothing wrong with that, but why not continue to develop him into an elite shutdown center against the best talent in the world? You know, just in case Darren Helm never gets back to being a guy who can play 75 games a year?
No, I don't expect him to become a top-6 guy but I do think he could be a 3rd liner who can chip in offensively every now and then. Not a pure shutdown C. Of course they could've kept him up but they think GR is a better place for his development at this stage (at least him vs Glendening). And to be honest, I agree 100%.

jaster

Jun 8, 2007
Sensing some Wolverine bias ;)

That would be true if I hadn't had pretty much this exact same exchange 4 years ago about Drew Miller :)

No bias. Or, if anything, it's bias against prospects who people think are better than they are, just because of their draft position. But even then, it's just me battling against others' bias :laugh: ;)

I think Sheahan will get there. He's just not there yet.

jaster

Jun 8, 2007
No, I don't expect him to become a top-6 guy but I do think he could be a 3rd liner who can chip in offensively every now and then. Not a pure shutdown C. Of course they could've kept him up but they think GR is a better place for his development at this stage (at least him vs Glendening). And to be honest, I agree 100%.

Yeah, I see Sheahan's upside being a two-way type of 3rd-line center as well. Responsible, but also competent offensively and able to put up a few points. Glendening is the specialized, shut-down type. He may be best on the wing, but it certainly doesn't hurt that the guy can play center as well. That essentially adds depth to the team without adding another body.

Sheahan is still developing. He's not a finished product like Glendening. As everyone agrees, it's Sheahan who should be sent down, so he can gobble up big minutes. While Glendening, who can be completely trusted, is left on the big club.

RedWingsNow*

That would be true if I hadn't had pretty much this exact same exchange 4 years ago about Drew Miller :)

No bias. Or, if anything, it's bias against prospects who people think are better than they are, just because of their draft position. But even then, it's just me battling against others' bias :laugh: ;)

I think Sheahan will get there. He's just not there yet.

Bias against Glendening? I've sat thru "Glendening Kiss Cams" in Grand Rapids (that's right, a Kiss Cam), listened to Mickey Redmond say "what a great line change by Glendening" as he gets on the ice, and viewed seemingly endless articles and interviews. Ive got sensory overload from the hype. He's not a bad player, but I'm cringing at all the promotion I'm going to have to listen to at this upcoming outdoor game.

Heaton

Feb 13, 2004
Auburn Hills
Bias against Glendening? I've sat thru "Glendening Kiss Cams" in Grand Rapids (that's right, a Kiss Cam), listened to Mickey Redmond say "what a great line change by Glendening" as he gets on the ice, and viewed seemingly endless articles and interviews. Ive got sensory overload from the hype. He's not a bad player, but I'm cringing at all the promotion I'm going to have to listen to at this upcoming outdoor game.

He's not Freddie Pettersson or Jan Mursak, that's for sure. ;)

Run the Jewels

Make Detroit Great Again
Jun 22, 2006
In the Garage
The part I probably enjoyed the most about the last episode of 24/7 was the Wings crowing about how the Leafs couldn't handle us down low while Andersson, Sheahan and Jurco all contributed offense.

Then Bertuzzi is out there playing grab ass with David Clarkson over a water bottle. So yeah, get rid of the guy who can actually help you out down low where you score goals.

BinCookin

Feb 15, 2012
London, ON
I get that Sheahan is a 1st-round pick and that we have expectations, hopes and dreams for him that are in the stratosphere and literally can't wait for him to be great, and that Glendening went undrafted so it's borderline offensive that he's even in the organization, let alone playing in games, but..... strip all that pointlessness away and Glendening has simply played better than Sheahan.

I don't follow either Sheahan or Glendening much, so let me give you my unbiased opinion here.

I trust that we have hockey people that can judge the talent and compete level of the hockey players we have in grand rapids.

Glendening may be relatively unimpressive, and a boring 4th liner. But Glendening is getting called up the the NHL right now more than Sheahan is. The Detroit Red Wings MANAGEMENT (And that is really all that matters) sees Glendening as the more useful player at this point.

This could mean Glendening is amazing, or that Sheahan is unimpressive.

In either case, on a HEALTHY DRW team, i see neither of these players ever accomplishing anything more than Cory Emmerton ever did.

Sheahan was a 1st rounder, Nyquist was a 4th rounder; where they were drafted means little.

I would say both Sheahan and Ferraro will be jettisoned soon, as they CLEARLY are not highly valued by management, I mean look at who the call ups have been this year.

Aug 6, 2012
I don't follow either Sheahan or Glendening much, so let me give you my unbiased opinion here.

I trust that we have hockey people that can judge the talent and compete level of the hockey players we have in grand rapids.

Glendening may be relatively unimpressive, and a boring 4th liner. But Glendening is getting called up the the NHL right now more than Sheahan is. The Detroit Red Wings MANAGEMENT (And that is really all that matters) sees Glendening as the more useful player at this point.

This could mean Glendening is amazing, or that Sheahan is unimpressive.

In either case, on a HEALTHY DRW team, i see neither of these players ever accomplishing anything more than Cory Emmerton ever did.

Sheahan was a 1st rounder, Nyquist was a 4th rounder; where they were drafted means little.

I would say both Sheahan and Ferraro will be jettisoned soon, as they CLEARLY are not highly valued by management, I mean look at who the call ups have been this year.

Glendening was getting called up because he was the only one who would fit under the cap.

Glendening was sent down before Sheahan this time around.

JmanWingsFan

Your average Jman
Aug 18, 2011
Somewhere
I get that Sheahan is a 1st-round pick and that we have expectations, hopes and dreams for him that are in the stratosphere and literally can't wait for him to be great, and that Glendening went undrafted so it's borderline offensive that he's even in the organization, let alone playing in games, but..... strip all that pointlessness away and Glendening has simply played better than Sheahan.

Wat. Are you serious? Glendening is average defensively, poor on the draw, and poor offensively. Sheahan has an offensive game. He's great defensively. He was drafted in the first round for a reason. Glendening wasn't drafted for a reason. Sheahan is better than Glendening. This shouldn't even be a discussion.

Johnz96*

Wat. Are you serious? Glendening is average defensively, poor on the draw, and poor offensively. Sheahan has an offensive game. He's great defensively. He was drafted in the first round for a reason. Glendening wasn't drafted for a reason. Sheahan is better than Glendening. This shouldn't even be a discussion.

At this point I would say they are about equally as good but Sheahan is younger and should progress more.

Rafalski was undrafted but turned out to be better than so many first round d-men including ones picked first overall.
Datsyuk was almost not drafted.

Last edited by a moderator:

JmanWingsFan

Your average Jman
Aug 18, 2011
Somewhere
At this point I would say they are about equally as good but Sheahan is younger who should progress more.

Rafalski was undrafted but turned out to be better than so many first rounders.
Datsyuk was almost not drafted.

Anecdotal evidence is not strong evidence. Yes, there are players that are drafted in the lower rounds or not drafted at all that make a big impact, but that doesn't change the fact that players are drafted in a particular order based on the talent that 30 teams see in said players. Most of the time, they're generally right.

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL

I don't think Glendening is average defensively, should be a good grinder out on the wing eventually. He is smart enough he has converted to center at the pro level, but he is an ideal fourth line winger. While his draw ability doesn't wow you at center, it does as the second option into the circle after the natural center is thrown out. Right now it is usage, but Glendening is a smart player, plays pretty heavy, has a bit of a pest in him. He will be fine, I prefer Sheahan over him, but Glendening has a solid NHL future out on the wing on the fourth line.

Konnan511

#RetireHronek17
Sponsor
Jul 29, 2008
Sarasota, FL
I feel bad for Mrzak. Howard just got healthy so no winter classic game for him, plus with Monster being hurt, no outdoor game at CoPa.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad