Granberg recalled on emergency basis

Faltorvo

Feb 18, 2008
Emergency recalls are only allowed in the event of illness or injury. You can't make an emergency recall because of a trade.

but teams have been known to "injury/illness sit" guys a day or two before an imminent trade.

Caesium

Apr 13, 2006
but teams have been known to "injury/illness sit" guys a day or two before an imminent trade.

It would be dangerous to lie about that. When you make an emergency recall you have to give the league the name of the injured player and a description of their injury, and the league will verify it. Since players need to pass a physical to be traded, they would get caught red handed if they said a player was injured and can't play, and then they pass the physical.

Erdinger

Oct 6, 2011
Toronto
It would be dangerous to lie about that. When you make an emergency recall you have to give the league the name of the injured player and a description of their injury, and the league will verify it. Since players need to pass a physical to be traded, they would get caught red handed if they said a player was injured and can't play, and then they pass the physical.
I think only Lou Lamorello could get away with that type of stuff these days.

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002

If it was for a Trade they would just sit the guy, they wouldn't play games.

Most likely someone caught the flu of some sort.

Hunter74

Sep 21, 2004
Reilly was run into the boards hard last night. Maybe stiffened up overnight.

Erdinger

Oct 6, 2011
Toronto
If it was for a Trade they would just sit the guy, they wouldn't play games.

Most likely someone caught the flu of some sort.
"Flu" would be the safest reason to sit someone who was going to be traded. The whole team looked like it was suffering for long stretches last night. I've just got over an almost 2 week bout of it so it is going around.

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
What's odd is that earlier they were reporting that Phaneuf might return tonight so that would already make for 1 extra body on defense.

So recalling Granberg likely an indication that Dion will not dress tonight.

-DeMo-

Nov 12, 2006
Huntsville Ontario
why are they using the "Emergency" term why couldn't they just do a normal recall? does that allow us to bring up an extra player? ie having 24 players on the NHL roster temporally?

MarMarSab3

formerly #13 & TML4EVR
Feb 27, 2002
Toronto
What's odd is that earlier they were reporting that Phaneuf might return tonight so that would already make for 1 extra body on defense.

So recalling Granberg likely an indication that Dion will not dress tonight.
But why carry an extra body at home?

Erdinger

Oct 6, 2011
Toronto
why are they using the "Emergency" term why couldn't they just do a normal recall? does that allow us to bring up an extra player? ie having 24 players on the NHL roster temporally?
Doesn't it mean they can be sent down after the emergency is over without clearing waivers?

-DeMo-

Nov 12, 2006
Huntsville Ontario
Doesn't it mean they can be sent down after the emergency is over without clearing waivers?

I dunno that's why I asked but Granberg doesn't need to clear waivers, I've seen it to bring up a player for 1 game whose playing in Junior like we did with Kadri and I understand why that would be "Emergency" recall but why would someone from the AHL be an Emergency recall and not a normal recall

Faltorvo

Feb 18, 2008

injury or illness

JMcLeaf

Jonas Siegel ‏@jonasTSN1050 16s17 seconds ago
Cody Franson was limping pretty good after the game last night. Have to think he's the D in question to play tonight.

Canada4Gold

Dec 22, 2010

I believe an emergency callup is one that allows you to go over the cap temporarily because you don't have enough skaters to ice a full roster for a game due to minor injuries. As a result these players have to fufill a certain AAV requirement which is very close to the league minamum which is why you often see lower prospects as emergency recalls because the better prospects AAV would be too high.

That's how I think it worked the last time I looked at the emergency recall rules sometime last year.

diceman934

Help is on the way.
Jul 31, 2010
NHL player factory

Sick....

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad