Confirmed with Link: Granato Out (Jason Christie & Matt Smith also let go, Ellis being reassigned)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reddawg

We're all mad here
Sponsor
Mar 22, 2007
Rochester, NY
Tell me ownership isn't looking real hard at its GM wondering why the premature, multi-year extension to a coach who is getting canned as said extension just kicks in. I don't think Adams survives the purge.
Ownership hand-picked Kevyn primarily because he does what they say. He’s also done a remarkable job (along with Jerry) getting very solid value out of the draft and has made some good trades along the way, he never gets fleeced even if he hasn’t pulled off a Darth Regier level move yet in his tenure.

The GM brings in the players. The coach molds the players into the team he and the GM envision. From there it’s up to the players to actually get it done out there and for a lot of reasons, that isn’t happening yet. You can see a lot of potential in the roster and the pipeline and that’s a job well done by KA to this point in my opinion. Someone had to take the fall for the season result and that’s Donny at the end of the day. Kevyn isn’t about to fire himself and neither are the Pegulas. He gets at least one more shot to get the coaching hire right.

Krieger Bot

Apr 30, 2007
I could see Lindy as the head coach with Appert as the assistant running forwards and PP. Then they bury Ellis in the video room or something

No, Ellis is the funniest.

Imagine having a job you are terrible at. Like, obviously unqualified for the role. And you can't hide your mistakes. Everyone in the company sees them on a regular basis. You somehow keep this job for three years.

Then one day, your boss is fired. In no small part because of your incompetence. Again, everyone in the company knows this.

Instead of firing you, your company just...demotes you to the stock room. So you still have to see all these people who watched you flail about randomly for three years on a daily basis.

At that point...wouldn't you rather just be fired?

• Haha
Reactions: SharkInABoloTie

joshjull

Aug 2, 2005
Hamburg,NY

So it will cost less to eat the two years of Donny’s deal than it did to eat what was left of Krueger’s.

Just a fun little factoid.

Fjordy

Jun 20, 2018
Veteran coaches know that a bottom 5 payroll and a roster that is bottom 5 in experience is way more than a challenge.

And with regards to Adams, the conversations between him and a veteran coaching candidate with options will be about what his plans are to improve the roster this offseason. If Adams tells them that his plan is to add a 4C and promote Kulich or Savoie, that is unlikely to go over well. And that patient, draft, develop, and promote from within has been the Adams approach to this point.

That might not be all that attractive to a coaching candidate.

And who knows what the roster looks like to certain coaches when compared to other options that they might have. This roster had zero players break the 60 point or 30 goal marks this season.
Come on, coaches always come to the NHL and take on different teams, especially since Buffalo’s roster isn’t that bad now and mostly needs to improve bottom 6 and toughness. Coaches usually don't want to be out of work for long and this is a closed league with limited spots, who knows when the next coach will get a job.

Reactions: Dingo44

slip

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 19, 2005
Ownership hand-picked Kevyn primarily because he does what they say. He’s also done a remarkable job (along with Jerry) getting very solid value out of the draft and has made some good trades along the way, he never gets fleeced even if he hasn’t pulled off a Darth Regier level move yet in his tenure.
Not getting fleeced in trades and building a winning team are not the same tings.

Exhibit A: Darth Regier.

Ace

Oct 29, 2015
While there is a zero point zero percent chance Matt Ellis is the next coach…thinking about it does open up the ultimate “actually, I’m being promoted” Office Space moment in sports history

Reactions: brian_griffin

slip

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 19, 2005
An experienced head coach wouldn't hesitate to tell Adams "WTF are you doing?"

That alone is worth the price of admission.

joshjull

Aug 2, 2005
Hamburg,NY
I just don't see the need to get the old band back together. They weren't that good.
He coached one of the best Sabres teams that was also one of the best in the NHL in 05-06 to 06-07. Unfortunately the previous owner’s contract policy and meddling of Larry Quinn destroyed that team.

I don’t know if Lindy is the right idea. But lets not pretend he didn’t do great before many of his weapons were taken away.

BFLO

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 3, 2015
2 summers ago, the team was coming off a 75 point season and went to 91 points…if a 16 point improvement isn’t a jump into the next phase, what is?
The teams performance that season was IN SPITE of Adams.

What offseason moves did Kevyn make that spurred the 16 point improvement? Oh, that's right. None. He spent to below the cap floor and had to trade for Ben Bishop in order to be cap compliant.

Matt Ress

Don't sleep on me
Aug 5, 2014
Appalachia
I loved Lindy in the 90s. I'm not so sure he's the same coach as then.

Recently, he's had one good season with NJ and run out of town. Nobody called NJ the hardest working team in hockey and aside from their quick, skilled forwards, there was nothing scary about them. They added an underachieving Meier but still no physicality. Unless we get 99 Lindy, I wouldn't feel happy about it.

So much talk in the last few years about the game moving towards speed and skill and there's a lot of truth to that but at the same time you need that physical aspect to win, especially in the playoffs. Getting to the inside, keeping the other team to the outside, finishing plays, overpowering puck handlers... It's not the neanderthal physical play of the past but smart, intense physicality that has true impact on Xs and Os which wins games in reg and post season. Ruff may still have that in him but I don't know if we've seen it in the past 20 years.

I'm wrong a lot about this team but not as often about hockey so who knows.

Reactions: Fjordy

Dubi Doo

Aug 27, 2008
I am super happy this happened before locker clean out so these players have to answer to this as well.
Well, at the very least it does show the players that if you suck at your job- you may be canned. This is very much on the players shoulders as well. They were content coasting through much of the season, and they lost a coach they liked because of it (and other variables, of course).

Glad he's gone. I feel for the man, but this business is cutthroat, and the negative results were there for the world to see.

I wish I could say I am optimistic about the next coaching hire, but given how trash the hires have been over the last decade +...I'm not all that optimistic.

Reactions: SharkInABoloTie

MOGlLNY

Jan 5, 2008

"...if the Buffalo Sabres do make a coaching change, I wonder if they turn to Rochester Americans head coach Seth Appert along with a veteran assistant."

Marek officially putting himself on the map as one of the few Sabres insiders. Looking forward to TJMS today

My Cozen Dylan

Feb 21, 2014
Jacksonville, FL

"...if the Buffalo Sabres do make a coaching change, I wonder if they turn to Rochester Americans head coach Seth Appert along with a veteran assistant."

Marek officially putting himself on the map as one of the few Sabres insiders. Looking forward to TJMS today
Seth Appert would be very on brand for this organization - one step forward, two steps back.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad