Confirmed with Link: Granato Out (Jason Christie & Matt Smith also let go, Ellis being reassigned)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jacob582

Oct 16, 2012
It all depends on what other options are out there for them. Given that the team has missed the playoffs for 13 seasons and there are questions about how aggressive they will be in adding quality veterans to the roster, it could be harder to attract a quality veteran head coach than many hope.

I mean, is working for Adams and Pegula that attractive outside of being one of 32 jobs?
Mike Babcock is available.

WeDislikeEich

Jun 22, 2015
I am never happy to see anyone lose their job, but this had to happen.

It’s hard to get excited though until I see who they replace him with. I have a bad feeling it’s going to be Seth Appert and they’ll try to add an experienced asst. coach for him. Sure hope I’m wrong! lol

They absolutely NEED an experienced head coach.

Reactions: Tijuana Donkey Show

My Cozen Dylan

Feb 21, 2014
Jacksonville, FL
I'm hoping we get a veteran coach.. I think Randy Carlyle would be super beneficial for our Young Mega ceiling Defensemen

Bruce Boudreau another veteran coach

Both Carlyle and Boudreau have winning experience with young cores
Carlyle is a terrible idea lol.

I am never happy to see anyone lose their job, but this had to happen
Well take solace knowing he gets paid for two more years thanks to his buddy Kev.

Reactions: WeDislikeEich

HaNotsri

Regstred User
Dec 29, 2013
Good start...Guessing we're stuck with a Adams though ?
To be honest Adams should go as well. I think he's even more at fault for how this season went.

In Granato's case I'm more upset about how the team played than the results. A couple of more wins and it would have been respectable considering how bad the players are.
What I don't like is how they showed up unprepared game after game and how persistent the same flaws were.

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
Gives me a little hope that Adams understands he can’t drag out his mistakes.

The bit about Donnie being the right coach at the time and not meeting expectations of being a contender gives me a little more hope that he won’t promote Appert or Ellis. Because they would not be “a different direction”.

The only problem with that is, this should’ve happened in December. It dragged out for almost 5 months.

Doug Prishpreed

May 1, 2013
Brooklyn
Think it would be the opposite if anything. They don't need that kind of pressure on Appert right off the bat.
I’m going by the rumors going around the media. They seem to think it makes sense, although no one has really mentioned Lindy, they just say and experienced/vet coach.

Fjordy

Jun 20, 2018
Berube or Gallant please.

Boudreau, Julien, Evason who else have I forgotten among the experienced coaches who are well known?

Attachments

• Fja-kFaX90o.jpg
    Fja-kFaX90o.jpg
    136.2 KB · Views: 2

slip

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 19, 2005
It all depends on what other options are out there for them. Given that the team has missed the playoffs for 13 seasons and there are questions about how aggressive they will be in adding quality veterans to the roster, it could be harder to attract a quality veteran head coach than many hope.

I mean, is working for Adams and Pegula that attractive outside of being one of 32 jobs?
What veteran coach doesn't appreciate a challenge? There's a lot to work with on this team, first and foremost. I think the raw talent on the roster would be the main draw. Adams doesn't strike me a pig headed and difficult to deal with either. Sure, ownership might have a bad rep, but you also know that any coach who comes here and gets this team into the playoffs will be revered for life (and well compensated) by the Pegulas.

Professor Chaos

May 1, 2018
Gotham
I'm hoping we get a veteran coach.. I think Randy Carlyle would be super beneficial for our Young Mega ceiling Defensemen

Bruce Boudreau another veteran coach

Both Carlyle and Boudreau have winning experience with young cores
Joel Quenneville please

Ace

Oct 29, 2015
On Lindy.....I actually like him a lot more as a front office member than I do a head coach. Heck, place him above Adams in the "President of Hockey Ops' title we all want. A fresh set of eyes to evaluate.
I think this is what inevitably happens. But they needed to get Granato out so he might have given them a short term answer

truthbluth

Feb 2, 2011
Appert won't create excitement, but he's a good coach. I just don't think he's the best coach in the AHL. Shouldn't Todd Nelson get a look if we're dipping into the A? Familiar shouldn't be a deciding factor. Get the best.

Jim Bob

RIP RJ
Feb 27, 2002
Rochester, NY
What veteran coach doesn't appreciate a challenge? There's a lot to work with on this team, first and foremost. I think the raw talent on the roster would be the main draw. Adams doesn't strike me a pig headed and difficult to deal with either. Sure, ownership might have a bad rep, but you also know that any coach who comes here and gets this team into the playoffs will be revered for life (and well compensated) by the Pegulas.
Veteran coaches know that a bottom 5 payroll and a roster that is bottom 5 in experience is way more than a challenge.

And with regards to Adams, the conversations between him and a veteran coaching candidate with options will be about what his plans are to improve the roster this offseason. If Adams tells them that his plan is to add a 4C and promote Kulich or Savoie, that is unlikely to go over well. And that patient, draft, develop, and promote from within has been the Adams approach to this point.

That might not be all that attractive to a coaching candidate.

And who knows what the roster looks like to certain coaches when compared to other options that they might have. This roster had zero players break the 60 point or 30 goal marks this season.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Denmark vs Great Britain
    Denmark vs Great Britain
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Kazakhstan vs Germany
    Kazakhstan vs Germany
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $2,330.00