Confirmed with Link: Granato Out (Jason Christie & Matt Smith also let go, Ellis being reassigned)

Status
Not open for further replies.

enthusiast

cybersabre his prophet
Oct 20, 2009
Waiting to see who gets the gig but this is the first move they had to make.

They should have just moved on from both, but we take what we can get

Reactions: CaliSabresfan24

Jim Bob

RIP RJ
Feb 27, 2002
Rochester, NY
BIG summer commenced. Hopefully becoming a serious organization.
I am waiting to see who they hire. If it is Ellis or Appert, it's just more of the same.

I really want to see a veteran head coach brought in. I would he fine with Lindy again at this point.

And the only rookie NHL coach hire that would not have me unthrilled would be if they paired Peca or McKee or Jeep with Lindy (or another proven NHL head coach) as an assistant. This team needs coaches (plural) that have been there and done that with regards to getting to the playoffs. It is past time for them to have development coaches and that is what Ellis and Appert have proven to be to this point.

What about Matt Ellis?
I hope he gets shifted back to a development coach role.

Reactions: Kiraly

Reddawg

We're all mad here
Sponsor
Mar 22, 2007
Rochester, NY
I think Ras should coach the team Reg Dunlop style. Just balls to the wall creative offense, no system (I think we’re all pretty collectively done with system hockey) let the backliners do their thing and hope the goalies bail out the rest. Win a bunch of 7-5 games and at least make it fun again.

Reactions: TheMistyStranger

tsujimoto74

May 28, 2012
I feel a little bad because I liked Donnie, but had to be done. Hopefully he lands a nice assistant coach job somewhere.

Same honestly. I do think Granato is a very good developmental coach, but I think he’s lacking for a team that needs to turn the corner and start winning more games, and he shot himself in the foot bringing in inexperienced assistants. I’m sure he could’ve been more successful/worked out longer if he’d gotten himself better help behind the bench. I wish Donny the best, but, like you said, this needed to be done.

Gabrielor

"Win with us or watch us win." - Rasmus Dahlin
Jun 28, 2011
Buffalo, NY
Don Granato is 5th on the all time sabres win list (3 wins behind Muckler). He also coached them to their two highest point totals in the past decade. Let that nugget of mediocrity sink in for a few minutes...
Thats some great lowering of expectations by Terry. Hopefully that ended today.

Terry's now paying a guy not to coach his team. Pretty big after the post 2020 crap.

Reactions: SabresFan26
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad