Confirmed with Link: Granato Out (Jason Christie & Matt Smith also let go, Ellis being reassigned)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chaos2k7

Believe!
Aug 10, 2003
Costa Rica
Someone pointed out that he’s been away from the game for over 3 years, and I’m not sure the game is coached the same. Would he still be among the best?
He is a proven winner.

I don't mean to bug you guys, but I pop in from time to time, I had Family in Buffalo growing up, Lower west side, Grant and Lafayette.

Got my Dads love for the Bills, but not the Sabres. So I creep your forum a bit lol. Would like to see the Sabres back to where they should be. Never had both my Panthers and your Sabres good at the same time in my lifetime.

Selanne00008

Jun 2, 2006
NYC - UES
Why did the Sabres say the coach and Adams would be available on Friday? Kinda sloppy.

I've been on the Bruce Beudreau train since Vietnam. Still think its a good choice.

Peca I would interview. being with the Rangers even if it's only for 1 year is a benefit. IDK what his style is though. Maybe an assistant? Would he leave a successful Rangers org.?

Ruff? Idk, questions about Jersey falling off this year when they had higher expectations than the Sabres did.

Appert? Another rookie NHL coach potentially. Would lean towards Peca since he's outside the organization currently if we are going the rookie approach.

need to chew on this a bit more..

Ace

Oct 29, 2015
Why did the Sabres say the coach and Adams would be available on Friday? Kinda sloppy.

I've been on the Bruce Beudreau train since Vietnam. Still think its a good choice.

Peca I would interview. being with the Rangers even if it's only for 1 year is a benefit. IDK what his style is though. Maybe an assistant? Would he leave a successful Rangers org.?

Ruff? Idk, questions about Jersey falling off this year when they had higher expectations than the Sabres did.

Appert? Another rookie NHL coach potentially. Would lean towards Peca since he's outside the organization currently if we are going the rookie approach.

need to chew on this a bit more..
Peca has never been a head coach for a single professional game anywhere. If he played in Dallas instead of Buffalo his name would come up here zero times. He was Appert’s assistant for two years and then an assistant in NY for one. That’s the way you’d want to go with a rookie? Make it make sense and don’t mention he used to hit people in a jersey you liked 25 years ago

If Lindy had UPL’s season in goal he’d have made the playoffs in a walk.

Selanne00008

Jun 2, 2006
NYC - UES
Peca has never been a head coach for a single professional game anywhere. If he played in Dallas instead of Buffalo his name would come up here zero times. He was Appert’s assistant for two years and then an assistant in NY for one. That’s the way you’d want to go with a rookie? Make it make sense and don’t mention he used to hit people in a jersey you liked 25 years ago

If Lindy had UPL’s season in goal he’d have made the playoffs in a walk.
That's why I said "maybe as an assistant" (which is his current role). It would be nice to bring in talent that has been with winning organizations.

WeDislikeEich

Jun 22, 2015
Or they looked at the huge backslide in the standings and general unpreparedness of the team and made the easy decision without it being some backroom conspiracy
Yeah, I think Adams statement to the press sure made it sound like it was his decision, and he was pretty definitive in saying a change of direction was needed and that firing them was “in the best interest of the team moving forward”.

SharkInABoloTie

Sponsor
Mar 8, 2016
The Heart of Darkness
There's 32 head coaching jobs. We have a young, moldable roster. Maybe there's one or two veteran high-caliber HCs who wouldn't want to come here.

Personally, I think good candidates will be lining up to come here.
Lining up? No. But there will be plenty listening and asking around. I feel most veteran coaches will want to make decisions and not be bogged down by ownership..
Hopefully these guys get into groups and push eachother in the off-season. Training is all about competing against yourself and that affect tends to get amplified when you're doing that in a group of peers
Have all of them live with Nathan Mackinnon for the summer. He can tell them all what it's like to be a professional. And hopefully kick their asses.

I'm not pumping my fists to hire Q but he honestly feels like the exact type of coach that these softies need. Someone who will hold them accountable, who has won consistently... but I don't see him coming here.

How many open coaching spots are there currently in the NHL? Ottawa, LA, STL, NJ, CLB maybe. Who fires their coach this summer? Pens, Laffs, Flyers, kraken maybe? It will be interesting to see how things shake out. I worry we'll f*** around and miss out on real candidates.

Mattilaus

Sep 12, 2014
Beyond the Wall
He is a proven winner.

I don't mean to bug you guys, but I pop in from time to time, I had Family in Buffalo growing up, Lower west side, Grant and Lafayette.

Got my Dads love for the Bills, but not the Sabres. So I creep your forum a bit lol. Would like to see the Sabres back to where they should be. Never had both my Panthers and your Sabres good at the same time in my lifetime.
Not a good pick for this team imo. The team is young and are already having difficulty when it comes to blocking out outside noise. I do not predict they would do well with the types of questions and articles that a coach with his history would bring.

We don't need a coach with his baggage added to the already large amounts of baggage this team has.

Ace

Oct 29, 2015

Boudreau was reportedly interested in the job last time when the job wasn’t as good as it is now. I don’t think they’d do it…but I do believe he would take the job. So I won’t be buying “who even wants to come here”.

paulmm3

Mar 29, 2014
This does not seem like the situation to bring someone who has never been an NHL head coach into. More than I care about hiring any specific person I care about hiring someone with NHL HC experience.

Tijuana Donkey Show

Mar 14, 2023

I think this is going to be a major hurdle for the Sabres. Coaches with high trajectories in stable and successful situations will be a very tough sell.

Carle makes "enough" ($395k per year sans bonuses) with way better work life balance (40 games compared to 82), in a town he seems to love, has a ton of stability, is a rockstar in the athletic department, and gets to watch his kids grow up all while winning a bunch of national titles. He also brings in extra cash by running 2 weeks of junior camps that bring in $160k. I wouldn't be shocked if he does some consulting/draft prep and offseason conditioning with NHL'ers for a good bit of coin as well.

It is a phenomenal gig.

Reactions: brian_griffin

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
I think this is going to be a major hurdle for the Sabres. Coaches with high trajectories in stable and successful situations will be a very tough sell.

Carle makes "enough" ($395k per year sans bonuses) with way better work life balance (40 games compared to 82), in a town he seems to love, has a ton of stability, is a rockstar in the athletic department, and gets to watch his kids grow up all while winning a bunch of national titles. He also brings in extra cash by running 2 weeks of junior camps that bring in $160k. I wouldn't be shocked if he does some consulting/draft prep and offseason conditioning with NHL'ers for a good bit of coin as well.

It is a phenomenal gig.

And he is a first timer, which shouldn’t make him high on Adams list. He’s done great things at Denver for sure, but that doesn’t guarantee that yet another first time coach would have any sort of success stepping behind this bench. Hakstol, David Quinn vs Jim Montgomery… where would Carle fall?

Tijuana Donkey Show

Mar 14, 2023
And he is a first timer, which shouldn’t make him high on Adams list. He’s done great things at Denver for sure, but that doesn’t guarantee that yet another first time coach would have any sort of success stepping behind this bench. Hakstol, David Quinn vs Jim Montgomery… where would Carle fall?

I agree.

I was speaking more generically. At a high level there will be some qualified candidates who choose "best fit" over "next fit". The Sabres are likely low on most qualified candidates "best fit" rankings until they prove otherwise.

To answer your question, I think the only guy I would definitively put him in front of is David Quinn. Given Carle's age and experience he should go to a more established and stable org with a strong GM rather than any team trying to "get right" or rebuild.

Reactions: Chainshot

Doug Prishpreed

May 1, 2013
Brooklyn
I’m wondering where Daniels would fall too. Kind of in that medium-level of experience category. I wouldn’t count him out myself.

Fjordy

Jun 20, 2018
I'm not against Boudreau, and was even in favor of hiring him a few years ago. He has a wealth of experience, including leading teams to the playoffs consistently (. We have a decent lineup and are missing a few parts.

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
My issue with Bruce is the similarity between the Canucks and Sabres in terms of personnel. Bruce wasn’t able to get Vancouver to play anywhere near their own END often and it was a lot of rush offense. I don’t know if he’s going to be able to install anything new in a team that is all about being a bunch of rush chance candy asses. It seems way too similar

boots electric

Mar 12, 2008
I was 100% on the Bruce train a couple years ago, but I'm not sure where I am with him now. There's certainly a lot of ideas out there I would hate a lot more, so that's something.

I'll also go against the grain a little bit and say that I'm not reflexively opposed to Appert. If they hire him without a proper search, sure, hand me a torch and pitchfork. But I think he'll be an NHL HC at some point relatively soon, whether it's with Buffalo or someone else. If he does well in the interview and legitimately feels like a better choice than some of the retread options, fine. whatever.

Question about hierarchy though: what would typically be seen as the "higher level" positon: NHL assistant or AHL head coach? In other words, if Appert did get promoted to HC, would bringing Peca back as a Rochester's coach be a promotion of sorts? Demotion? Lateral move? I'm intrigued enough by him that I'd like to have him back in the org if possible, but I'm absolutely not ready to hand him the reigns in Buffalo.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad