Confirmed with Link: Granato Out (Jason Christie & Matt Smith also let go, Ellis being reassigned)

Status
Not open for further replies.

5 Minute Major

Sabres Fan
Sponsor
Dec 4, 2010
Vestal, NY
Yeah listening to this has me more soured on Okposo.

He's the captain and he wanted out.

He did good making the team comfortable for the young players. Unfortunately comfortable didn't make the playoffs.

I lost respect for Okposo when he allowed three quarters of the team to vacate the dressing room after getting blown out a couple months back.

I didn’t look upon it as Okposo taking one for the rest of them. I took it as Okposo not holding his teammates accountable.

Reactions: oldgoalie

Tollak

Sponsor
Sep 23, 2022
Listening to the player interviews, not much personal accountability, not much "we let the coach down." Kind of a "moving on" vibe.
Dahlin at least said.

“First of all we need to look us self in the mirror. Us players wasnt good enough. We didn't help Donny AT all.”

Reactions: jc17

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
Dahlin at least said.

“First of all we need to look us self in the mirror. Us players wasnt good enough. We didn't help Donny AT all.”

Thompson and Tuch both mentioned getting a good man fired.

Edit - I laugh at my voice to text, but now I want to see Tuch as the Alex Warburton version of the Tick.

Last edited:
Reactions: MOGlLNY

old kummelweck

Nov 10, 2003
Another thing that really stood out was Adam's insistence that 'The system had not changed at all'.

Uh... and that lack of adjustment after a few teams figured out how to shut it down was exactly the reason why you needed to move on from Granato back in December. The full regression of the team was directly attributed to this, and Adam's just let the coaching staff stand pat.

Reactions: Chainshot

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
Another thing that really stood out was Adam's insistence that 'The system had not changed at all'.

Uh... and that lack of adjustment after a few teams figured out how to shut it down was exactly the reason why you needed to move on from Granato back in December. The full regression of the team was directly attributed to this, and Adam's just let the coaching staff stand pat.

Yep. Adams may be saying things about how the team went, but it was clear early and often that there were issues that fall within his ability to fix. It's like Fitzgerald in Jersey sacking Ruff and then turning around to acquire goalies - he had the means at hand all along to make a move and chose for some reason not to.

old kummelweck

Nov 10, 2003
Yep. Adams may be saying things about how the team went, but it was clear early and often that there were issues that fall within his ability to fix. It's like Fitzgerald in Jersey sacking Ruff and then turning around to acquire goalies - he had the means at hand all along to make a move and chose for some reason not to.
And they let the players think they could do something about it. "You got the coach fired because you did not work hard enough." Hard work needs to pay off, not lead to frustration. That's where the coaching put them. Slow start? Players need to be accountable. Last-place power play? You didn't execute. Maybe they need them to think that because there is a kernel of truth.

I know I am fence-sitting here, but everyone regressed and the system was a big part of that. There were some players that I felt should have transcended the system, like Thompson and Tuch, for example: despite the injuries and smothering defensive schemes. I also wanted to see guys feeling a little more accountable for getting the coach fired - but they mainly paid lip service. There were certainly points they left on the table because they just didn't show up at times, but I think deep down they know they were not being put in the best position to succeed by a mis-guided coach.

But big picture, changing coaches was a big part of what needed to happen. You could not fairly evaluate these players under that old system.

Reactions: Chainshot
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad