Grading the Habs Offseason

smirob

Jun 2, 2014
B

Kassian is a 3rd line winger imo, with top 6 upside.

Semin has top 6 potential, however I wouldn't be totally shocked if he ends up on the 3rd line.

Petry was a great signing.

Ideally he can move 1 d and 1 dd before the season starts.

Goldthorpe

Meditating Guru
Jan 22, 2003
Montreal
I would say B overall. Some of our acquisitions are patchwork, but nothing that will cripple us longterm, and in the end we are ready to start the season while being marginally better. So B.

RC51

Dec 10, 2005
mtl
The new players are still a gamble, but the very best thing this off season is that MB did NOT trade away any of the habs best assets both on the team or in the minors just to overpay for any new player.
NO panic at in the MB plan.

Soltantgris

May 31, 2010
I said it in the prediction thread, Habs will be within the best goals producers this year. MB is a very good GM - imo he is top 5 NHL, and this year will show it.

S Bah

Nov 7, 2010
victoria bc
Grading the offseason is somewhat like grading the whole team/system/front office all at once. The big payoffs for the Habs are in all the background work done in acquiring players like Petry(whose resigning makes Bergevin quilty of Grand Theft), the Pro Scouts doing their jobs in assessing Kassian & Semin, two players that can potentially be steals. Then the work of Timmins & the Amateur Scouts in drafting prospects that have established themselves as predicted and will be fighting for roles with the Habs. So many of our prospects have bulked up (Muscle since being drafted while reaching their potentials as players)McCarron whose now on the top of many Hab fans list of prospects, Scherbak's just a Gymrat that's also a talented team player. (Just about every prospect is thriving even T.Bozon bounces back & is now 6'1" & 207 lbs.) Hudon, Carr, Andrighetto & Bournival all are very capable of breaking into the NHL, development in the Habs system seems to be all it can be. The work of all these players & the veterans during the offseason points to a wicked season for our Habs & more playoffs ahead, possibly a Stanley Cup Final Series for the 1st time in 23 yrs. Go Habs Go!!!...:handclap::handclap::handclap:

OldCraig71

Feb 2, 2009
No one cares
I said it in the prediction thread, Habs will be within the best goals producers this year. MB is a very good GM - imo he is top 5 NHL, and this year will show it.

I see Bergevin as a good GM not great, I see MT as a bottom 5 coach in the league with a stupid agenda and we will go nowhere until he and his b league coaching skills are gone.

VirginiaMtlExpat

Second most interesting man in the world.
Aug 20, 2003
Norfolk, VA
www.odu.edu
I see Bergevin as a good GM not great, I see MT as a bottom 5 coach in the league with a stupid agenda and we will go nowhere until he and his b league coaching skills are gone.

Right on. Given the rest of the talent, including Trevor Timmins, an all-world goalie and a perennial Norris contender, the coach is certainly the weak link. The coaching consultant is a patchwork solution that demonstrates that the team is crying for an influx of strategy. The one-page playbook is in dire need of a few more pages.

OldCraig71

Feb 2, 2009
No one cares
Right on. Given the rest of the talent, including Trevor Timmins, an all-world goalie and a perennial Norris contender, the coach is certainly the weak link. The coaching consultant is a patchwork solution that demonstrates that the team is crying for an influx of strategy. The one-page playbook is in dire need of a few more pages.

I see it as an attempt to try and replace the true coaching talent that we had but lost to the Florida Panthers. MB knows that Therrien is a bum but he will keep a job and he will defend him while hiring every available great hockey mind available. We are a low scoring team not because we can't but because Therrien. We have the best player in the world in net and a host of other great players but there is no leader behind that bench to truly lead our guys. I mean, a guy that veterans and rookies alike share true respek for. We have a great core, we have great young talent, we just lack the great architect behind the bench to put it all together. We are a Mike Babcock away from being a contender. Flame me or disagree if you will but I have watched enough hockey to know I am right.

Rhiessan71

Just a Fool
Feb 17, 2003
Guelph, Ont
Visit site
A -
Signing Semin
Hiring Craig Ramsey, plus the two new scouts
Signing Petry
Hiring the new Analytics guy

B-
Re-signing Mitchell
Prust for Kassian Trade

C-
The 2015 draft (not much to do with the amount of picks we had in the top 90)

D-
Missing out on Frolik and Justin Williams, Bergevin's Press Conference, Missing out on multiple top 6 players who were traded way below value
Galchenyuk not being signed long term

F-
Therrien & Staff still in place
Lefebvre & Staff still in place
Desharnais still on the team.
Hiring Carriere's son as assistant coach for the Ice Caps.

Semin is more of a B. He's a gamble but he's a cheap gamble. We were pretty good at even strength for the first time in a long time but our PP sucks, also forthe first time in a while and I think we all know which of these situations Semin was brought in for. I really don't see MThead giving him a whole lot of ES playing time.

Signing Petry for the price and term was A++, no question.

Ramsay was a smart player and maybe even a smarter coach, great hiring.

I don't feel we missed out on much as far as UFA's and traded players go. I really don't think we had the right personnel to make those deals.

MT still in place...tough one because I am not a fan BUT I can't say it's an F. More like a C.
As much as we all want to dump on him for his conservative style and lack of flexibility, the results are there and he has the players not only believing in the system but also believing in themselves. He maximizes his greatest asset, namely Carey Price and I can't blame him for that.
If the players stop believing or god forbid, Price goes down, it could all go to **** real fast and can't go higher than a C.

Desharnais...can't agree more. It's not even that I don't like the guy but Galchenyuk needs to take over at center regardless of the growing pains it will entail. Now is the time, the longer it gets delayed the worse it will be.
Then once you figure in Pleks, Larry and Mitchell, Desharnais' role is redundant.

Good rankings over-all though.

VirginiaMtlExpat

Second most interesting man in the world.
Aug 20, 2003
Norfolk, VA
www.odu.edu
I see it as an attempt to try and replace the true coaching talent that we had but lost to the Florida Panthers. MB knows that Therrien is a bum but he will keep a job and he will defend him while hiring every available great hockey mind available. We are a low scoring team not because we can't but because Therrien. We have the best player in the world in net and a host of other great players but there is no leader behind that bench to truly lead our guys. I mean, a guy that veterans and rookies alike share true respek for. We have a great core, we have great young talent, we just lack the great architect behind the bench to put it all together. We are a Mike Babcock away from being a contender. Flame me or disagree if you will but I have watched enough hockey to know I am right.

There is a case to be made, at the very least, for a permanent assistant with strategic acumen who can take over as head coach and who therefore serves as check against MT's shenanigans while providing strategic direction. Hopefully this consultant turns into that; if not given due consideration by the head coach, this exercise in futility exposes the latter's unwillingness to take his own game to a higher level. I have argued elsewhere for this option, given the apparent inability of the general manager to see the coach as a weakness currently.

OldCraig71

Feb 2, 2009
No one cares
There is a case to be made, at the very least, for a permanent assistant with strategic acumen who can take over as head coach and who therefore serves as check against MT's shenanigans while providing strategic direction. Hopefully this consultant turns into that; if not given due consideration by the head coach, this exercise in futility exposes the latter's unwillingness to take his own game to a higher level. I have argued elsewhere for this option, given the apparent inability of the general manager to see the coach as a weakness currently.

He sees it, but he is trying to keep his buddy in a job. How many times did Gallant get credit for things? It will be the same with Ramsay, if his so called advisory role is able to turn around the pp it will be announced as adjustments by Therrien and he will be applauded. We are stuck with the Boris Yeltsin of the NHL behind our bench and not many of us like it at all.

mustardnight*

Aug 11, 2011

Apparently not!

Habs100

Nov 6, 2013
Low risk, high reward potential offseason. Only time will tell….

Yes this is a good point. Like most moves in hockey, they should be judged in the future when we see how the cards fall.

I like the low risk (didn't mortgage the future), potential high reward moves of getting Semin and Kassian to go along with all the young forwards we have in the system).

Bergevin has used the trade deadline (when prices are low for rentals) to bring in quality players close to their prime instead of paying high prices during he summer. I really hope he can get a top six forward the way he got Petry and tried to get Vanek.

crazyd

Canada is hockey
Jul 2, 2006
A -
Signing Semin
Signing Petry

B-
Re-signing Mitchell
Prust for Kassian Trade

C-

D-
Missing out on Frolik and Justin Williams, Bergevin's Press Conference, Missing out on multiple top 6 players who were traded way below value

F-

Great post.

calder candidate

Feb 25, 2003
Montreal
Visit site
A+
Signing Petry (look even better compare to other contract that have been handed out to UFA D in the past few years)

A -
Signing Semin (Might not work out but there is zero risk)
Prust for Kassian (Kassian is younger and cheaper, again he might not become a top 6, but worst case he take Prust spot in the line up)

B-
Re-signing Mitchell, able to take some pressure off Plek (dzone faceoff/PK)

C+
The 2015 draft (wrong or right they didn't cave in to the presure to pick a french player)
C
Other signing Holloway, Bournival, Tinordi (nothing to write home about)
Hiring Craig Ramsey, the new Analytics guy and two new scouts (there isn't really anyway to determine there impact but it can 't be all negative)
Galchenyuk (great short term but might cost long term)

D
Lefebvre & Staff still in place (hard to say how good he is or isn'T but there just isn't any Buzz unlike went Boucher was there)
Hiring Carriere's son as assistant coach. He might be good but it goesn't look great...

F
Not being able to unload PAP... He resign for 1.5M$ hard to belive a team wasn't willing to give future consideration if we had retaind 50%

S Bah

Nov 7, 2010
victoria bc
The sweet smell of success seems to be permeating the Habs once again, it's been a long time since we've smelled beautiful as Riddick would say in his Chronicles.:laugh:

Tyson

Mar 1, 2007
Texas
You have to give Bergevin credit for his work. Not a lot needed to be done but signing Petry was a great move. Losing Prust was tough but he is wearing down so grabbing a 6'2 215 pound skilled forward could turn out to be a steal. Kassisan is a lock for 18-20 goals imo. Semin is an investment that cost little by today's standards while the upside could be 25+ goals.
Signing Chuckie to a decent two year deal was also a good deal as was Beaulieu's signing.
Habs got better but I am not sure if that will be enough though for them to stay at the top of the division. TB and Buffalo are also going to be vastly improved. Fun season ahead

Teufelsdreck

Sep 17, 2005
A -
Signing Semin
Signing Petry

B-
Re-signing Mitchell
Prust for Kassian Trade

C-

D-

F-

I think Ramsay will have a positive effect on the penalty kill. The Semin signing might turn out to be a superb move; if not. at least it was inexpensive.

As for Frolik and Williams, there was competition for them. They were weren't growing long beards while waiting to be picked up.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad