Grading the flames transactions & signings

Pizza the Hutt

Game 6 Truther
Mar 22, 2012
Couldn't find anything like this, or perhaps my search abilities are impaired due to the excess of brown ale I've drunk. Anyhoo.

Post your grades for Flames transactions and signings if you'd like.

Mine:

Brodie 5yrs @ AAV $4.65M: A+
Russel 2yrs @ AAV $2.6M: B
Colborne 2yrs @ AAV 1.275M: B
Engelland 3yrs @ AAV $2.9M: F
Raymond 3yrs @ AAV $3.17M: D
Hiller 2yrs @ AAV $4.5M: A
Setoguchi 1yr @ $750K: C
Diaz 1yr @ $700K: C
Wolf 1yr @ $775K: B

3rd rounder for Bollig: D
2nd rounder for Berra: A+
3rd round for Stempniak: B-

Last edited:

Johnny Hoxville

The Return of a Legend
Jul 15, 2006
Calgary
All good except for Engelland and Raymond. Engelland is overpaid by a 1 million, but he doesn't bother me as he is useful on our team and his cap hit is irrelevant to me. Raymond has the potential to be a problem contract going forward and taking up a roster spot.

CraigsList

In Conroy We Trust
Apr 22, 2014
USA
Brodie 5yrs @ AAV $4.65M: A+
Russel 2yrs @ AAV $2.6M: A+
Colborne 2yrs @ AAV 1.275M: B+
Engelland 3yrs @ AAV $2.9M: C-
Raymond 3yrs @ AAV $3.17M: D-
Hiller 2yrs @ AAV $4.5M: B
Setoguchi 1yr @ $750K: D+

3rd rounder for Bollig: F - Don't mind Bollig, but a 3rd rounder for him wasn't that great.
2nd rounder for Berra: A++++++

Skobel24

#Ignited
May 23, 2008
Winnipeg
Brodie 5yrs @ AAV $4.65M: A++
Russel 2yrs @ AAV $2.6M: B+
Engelland 3yrs @ AAV $2.9M: C
Raymond 3yrs @ AAV $3.17M: D-
Hiller 2yrs @ AAV $4.5M: B+
Setoguchi 1yr @ $750K: B+
Diaz 1yr @ $700K: D+
Wolf 1yr @ $775K: C

3rd rounder for Bollig: F

As far as Setoguchi goes, he was a bust of a signing. However, it was a one year 750k deal. I can't really complain about that.

InfinityIggy

Zagidulin's Dad
Jan 30, 2011
Brodie 5yrs @ AAV $4.65M:

A+. Exactly the contract Brodie should of been given. Handled perfectly.

Russel 2yrs @ AAV $2.6M:

A. Good term, great caphit for a top 4 D that the Flames needed to keep on board. Hard to dislike this signing. Great value so far.

Colborne 2yrs @ AAV 1.275M:

B+. Flames needed to lock up Colborne but didn't yet know what they really had in him. Made a safe deal which made a lot of sense at the time.

Engelland 3yrs @ AAV $2.9M:

D. So far the Engelland experiment has been a mixed bag. Occasionally has strong games but for the most part has been a part of the problem with a wildly inconsistent and poor bottom pairing. He has however brought grit and some leadership. Not enough to make this contract any good though. Inflated cap hit and term for a guy that is barely playing at an NHL level.

Raymond 3yrs @ AAV $3.17M:

C. Given Raymond's production coming into the fold, his cap hit is pretty reasonable. 3 years was maybe a year longer than we would of liked but as a UFA Raymond was likely to get a longer deal from another team. So far his production has been a bit underwhelming, he has also been fairly one-dimensional so far. However I still think this deal will work out alright, and Raymond's production will pick up at some point.

Hiller 2yrs @ AAV $4.5M:

B+. 2 years was the perfect length deal for Hiller's age and the Flames current situation. A good stopgap goalie to help steady the sails of the rebuild. Hard to dislike this signing as well. Hiller has been hot and cold so far but overall still a strong signing.

Setoguchi 1yr @ $750K:

F. It was a stupid signing to begin with. Setoguchi played 12 games with the Flames in which he provided..pretty much nothing. The signing to me, showed a lack of faith in the young players and prospects in the system to make the jump to the NHL. Thankfully, several proved they were ready and we no longer have to suffer watching Setoguchi provide nothing to the Flames.

Diaz 1yr @ $700K:

C-. Signed to be a #7D, and that's exactly what he has been. Hard to love or hate the signing. Needed a guy like Diaz to fill out the Flames shallow depth at D. I would have preferred to go after a D with a little more upside, even if it cost us a pick or prospect.

Wolf 1yr @ $775K:

C. Hard to say much about this one right now. Helps fill out the roster in ADK. Has the potential to maybe fill a 4th line role with us at some point. Jury is still out on this one in my opinion.

3rd rounder for Bollig:

C+. Flames needed size and grit, and youth. Bollig brings all of these. Not a pretty player but he fills his role and occasionally steps up to help offensively (trys to anyway). I am a fan of him as a player. A 3rd was a lot to give up though.

2nd rounder for Berra:

A. Great value and we took advantage of a team willing to overpay. Liked Berra as a person but hes currently AHL fodder. Excellent deal. Only wished we could of squeezed a prospect out of COL instead of the pick.

3rd round for Stempniak:

B. Pretty much what we expected to get for him, and I amongst other predicted this exact deal. Perfectly fine with me.

Last edited:

Ace Rimmer

Stoke me a clipper.
Brodie 5yrs @ AAV $4.65M: B (I wonder how much of his good play is attributed to Giordnano?)

Russel 2yrs @ AAV $2.6M: C (would have liked longer, even if it cost money)

Colborne 2yrs @ AAV 1.275M: A (great contract, could have bought term but unproven at the time whatyagonnado?)

Engelland 3yrs @ AAV $2.9M: F (not very tough, not very intimidating, not sure what we bought here)

Raymond 3yrs @ AAV $3.17M: C (about a year too long IMO, would have preferred they kept Stempniak)

Hiller 2yrs @ AAV $4.5M: A (when he's good, he's good)

Setoguchi 1yr @ $750K: D (well that experiment failed, at least the only real cost was a contract spot)

Diaz 1yr @ $700K: C (low risk, decent 6/7 guy)

Wolf 1yr @ $775K: C (no opinion, but no risk here either)

3rd rounder for Bollig: C (when less than 10% of third round picks become NHLers, meh)

2nd rounder for Berra: A (solid deal for a third string goalie)

3rd round for Stempniak: D (would have preferred to keep him and the pick than sign Raymond)

Skobel24

#Ignited
May 23, 2008
Winnipeg
Brodie 5yrs @ AAV $4.65M: B (I wonder how much of his good play is attributed to Giordnano?)

Russel 2yrs @ AAV $2.6M: C (would have liked longer, even if it cost money)

Colborne 2yrs @ AAV 1.275M: A (great contract, could have bought term but unproven at the time whatyagonnado?)

Engelland 3yrs @ AAV $2.9M: F (not very tough, not very intimidating, not sure what we bought here)

Raymond 3yrs @ AAV $3.17M: C (about a year too long IMO, would have preferred they kept Stempniak)

Hiller 2yrs @ AAV $4.5M: A (when he's good, he's good)

Setoguchi 1yr @ $750K: D (well that experiment failed, at least the only real cost was a contract spot)

Diaz 1yr @ $700K: C (low risk, decent 6/7 guy)

Wolf 1yr @ $775K: C (no opinion, but no risk here either)

3rd rounder for Bollig: C (when less than 10% of third round picks become NHLers, meh)

2nd rounder for Berra: A (solid deal for a third string goalie)

3rd round for Stempniak: D (would have preferred to keep him and the pick than sign Raymond)

I agree completely with Stempniak, simply because he was great with Stajan. Those two together were a force on the PK.

Johnny Hoxville

The Return of a Legend
Jul 15, 2006
Calgary
Good point Stewie, and look what Stemps signed for in the offseason. We could of easily brought him back at around 1 million. I was a fan of Stemps but was glad we traded him for some assets. Did it end up that we basically traded Stemps for Bollig?

CraigsList

In Conroy We Trust
Apr 22, 2014
USA
Yeah, we probably would have been better off with Stempniak. And yes Hox, we pretty much traded Stemps for 3 years of Bollig... Eh..

Calculon

unholy acting talent
Jan 20, 2006
Error 503
Brodie 5yrs @ AAV $4.65M: A-
It's obviously a great deal but I'm not a fan of the Burliving's self-imposed five year term restriction on all contracts. If there's a player on the team worth an eight year contract, it's Brodie, even if it means an extra two to three million on his AAV.​
Russel 2yrs @ AAV $2.6M: A
A top four defensemen (for the most part) for that price is a good deal.​
Solid but still not sure he fits in the long term plans​
Engelland 3yrs @ AAV $2.9M: C
Brought in as insurance - Treliving, like most of the hockey world, expected the Flames to be quite poor this season. And it's one thing to merely lose games, it's another to be physically outmatched while doing so. Turns out his physicality wasn't needed so much, as it can be liability on a young team trying to keep a playoff spot. Shouldn't be an everyday player but this looks a lot worse than it really is because of Hartley's insistence on pairing him with Smid.​
Raymond 3yrs @ AAV $3.17M: F
Prime case of Treliving underestimating the prospects in the organization. Was supposed to replace some of the offense lost by Cammalleri leaving but as it turns out, Gaudreau took care of that and then some. With the salary and term left, likely the worst contract on the Flames at the moment, which is encouraging, given other teams problems.​
Hiller 2yrs @ AAV $4.5M: B+
Quality veteran starter with excellent term. Possible attitude issues and general inconsistencies prevent this from being a slam dunk.​
Setoguchi 1yr @ $750K: F
Depth signing in case prospects weren't ready. Completely unnecessary, then and now.​
Decent depth defensemen; mitigates the mobility issues on the bottom pairing a bit.​
Good signing if they bring him back next season. Will be waiver eligible by then so they'll need to get a read on his NHL readiness pretty soon. Will likely be a fan favourite (what with all the wolf related puns and Rainier Wolfcastle jokes) if his skating isn't a problem.​
3rd rounder for Bollig: D
Upgrade on McGrattan but a third round pick was too much to give up. Has been getting better though.​
Terrific deal.​
3rd round for Stempniak: A
Pretty good deal.​

Mr Lebowski

Go Flames
Feb 18, 2014
Toronto
Brodie 5yrs @ AAV $4.65M: A
Russel 2yrs @ AAV $2.6M: B+
Colborne 2yrs @ AAV 1.275M: B +
Engelland 3yrs @ AAV $2.9M: F
Raymond 3yrs @ AAV $3.17M: D
Hiller 2yrs @ AAV $4.5M: A-
Setoguchi 1yr @ $750K: C-
Wolf 1yr @ $775K: B+

3rd rounder for Bollig: C-
2nd rounder for Berra: A
3rd round for Stempniak: B
Corban Knight for Drew Shore: A-

DRAFT:
Bennett: A
McDonald: C+
Smith: C+
Hickey: C+
Ollas Mattsson: A-
Carrol: C

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
I give them all A's

I am not going to analyze the individuals because it is about how the team plays, and if overpaying for a 3rd pairing defenseman helps the team play better as a whole even if his only contribution is bringing Gio his morning coffee then it is a good move.

The fact of the matter is we are currently holding down a playoff spot at the all-star break, a feat none of us even dared to dream (except Aaron Ward) so I am not going to put down any individual move because without just one of these moves it could have an enormous impact on how the team as played as a team.

The Gnome

May 17, 2010
Calgary
Agree with most posters. Pretty good overall with the transactions. Though I will admit, this is feaster's team. Treliving has done little so far, but he's patient which is nice to see.

Only complaints are a 3rd for bollig, and the Raymond signing. Bollig was simply not worth the pick, he's been underwhelming compared to what I expected of him. But on some nights he truly serves a good tough guy role that can actually play in our bottom six. Not horrible, just would have liked to picked him up for less. Raymond is kind of funny, it's easy to say he's redundant, but I'm also a guy who beileves you cannot overcook prospects. I just don't like the term with him, too many forwards as is. However I do think he can rebound and be productive for us offensivly.

Engelland is overpayed, but I do like his influence in front of the net. Many say he has not been tough enough, but I see him face palming guys every game and making forwards accountable. We just need to dump smid (who I respect, guys a warrior) and get a pmd for that bottom pairing. A smid-englelland bottom pairing is a nightmare on a Hartley coached team.

overall AF has a point hard to complain about anything these days. This team on paper should be brutal, we are playing way above expectations due to coaching, emerging rookies, and the emergence of gio as a Norris dman. Hounarble mention to Brodie.

Johnny Hoxville

The Return of a Legend
Jul 15, 2006
Calgary
Agree with most posters. Pretty good overall with the transactions. Though I will admit, this is feaster's team. Treliving has done little so far, but he's patient which is nice to see.

Only complaints are a 3rd for bollig, and the Raymond signing. Bollig was simply not worth the pick, he's been underwhelming compared to what I expected of him. But on some nights he truly serves a good tough guy role that can actually play in our bottom six. Not horrible, just would have liked to picked him up for less. Raymond is kind of funny, it's easy to say he's redundant, but I'm also a guy who beileves you cannot overcook prospects. I just don't like the term with him, too many forwards as is. However I do think he can rebound and be productive for us offensivly.

Engelland is overpayed, but I do like his influence in front of the net. Many say he has not been tough enough, but I see him face palming guys every game and making forwards accountable. We just need to dump smid (who I respect, guys a warrior) and get a pmd for that bottom pairing. A smid-englelland bottom pairing is a nightmare on a Hartley coached team.

overall AF has a point hard to complain about anything these days. This team on paper should be brutal, we are playing way above expectations due to coaching, emerging rookies, and the emergence of gio as a Norris dman. Hounarble mention to Brodie.

Oh great, you`re going to give AF a big head.

Bouma Fett*

Booty Hunter
May 19, 2012
Calgary
I think people are still over reacting to the Bollig deal. A 3rd isn't really a big deal at all, hardly any of them turn into legit NHL players, it would have been a good pick if that player turned into as good a player as Bollig 5 years from now lol. There are plenty of times where those middle picks are great ie getting Brodie and Gaudreau in the fourth round but overall it really isn't a huge deal.

Bollig has done a tremendous job standing up for our guys in general, and he's a good guy, happy to have him on the team

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad