OTTAWA SENATORS
Grade C-

Top 5 Picks
C Mika Zibanejad, 6th
RW Stefan Noesen, 21st
LW Matt Puempel, 24th
C Shane Prince, 61st
Jean-Gabriel Pageau, 96th

Seidel Says “When Winnipeg went off the board, it looked like the Sens could take a potential franchise defender in Dougie Hamilton, but instead they opted for the late rising star out of Sweden, Mika Zibanejad. Throughout the season we were not even sure that Zibanejad was worthy of a first-round pick but he closed the season strong and had a very impressive combine …

“They went off the board and selected Stefan Noesen from the Plymouth Whalers which sent puzzled looks around the rink from many teams. Noesen is a decent prospect but we believe the Sens should have traded down if they loved Noesen, because they could have gotten him later.

“Pageau is an exciting player but we think he has a lot of work to make the short hop from Hull over to play with the Sens. Overall, with 10 picks in all, we thought the Sens took some unnecessary chances but ultimately the proof will come down the road.â€

This is from the national post not the Winnipeg press or Toronto Star.

hfboardsuser

Nov 18, 2004
Couldn't disagree more. Switch Ottawa and Winnipeg's grade, for one, and maybe even knock that down to a D.

4thliner*

OTTAWA SENATORS
Grade C-

Top 5 Picks
C Mika Zibanejad, 6th
RW Stefan Noesen, 21st
LW Matt Puempel, 24th
C Shane Prince, 61st

Seidel Says “When Winnipeg went off the board, it looked like the Sens could take a potential franchise defender in Dougie Hamilton, but instead they opted for the late rising star out of Sweden, Mika Zibanejad. Throughout the season we were not even sure that Zibanejad was worthy of a first-round pick but he closed the season strong and had a very impressive combine …

“They went off the board and selected Stefan Noesen from the Plymouth Whalers which sent puzzled looks around the rink from many teams. Noesen is a decent prospect but we believe the Sens should have traded down if they loved Noesen, because they could have gotten him later.

“Pageau is an exciting player but we think he has a lot of work to make the short hop from Hull over to play with the Sens. Overall, with 10 picks in all, we thought the Sens took some unnecessary chances but ultimately the proof will come down the road.â€

:facepalm:

4thliner*

OTTAWA SENATORS
Grade C-

Top 5 Picks
C Mika Zibanejad, 6th
RW Stefan Noesen, 21st
LW Matt Puempel, 24th
C Shane Prince, 61st

“Pageau is an exciting player but we think he has a lot of work to make the short hop from Hull over to play with the Sens. Overall, with 10 picks in all, we thought the Sens took some unnecessary chances but ultimately the proof will come down the road.”

Not when Bob McKenzie and Pierre McGuire said Noesen would be a goner between picks 20-25 according to interested GMs picking there right after the Sens called out his name. At least this is not laughable tough ;)

GDU

Dec 19, 2008
hahah what a pile of grabage that guy should be fired, someone get the editors email so we can spam him, not even knowing who picked first between ottawa and winnipeg is wow

Mr Lahey*

I'll probably get flamed for this, but I agree with a lot of what this guy has written, at least for the players I've seen. I thought MTL should be a bit higher, and Van lower, but otherwise, good article.

H2O

Sep 18, 2005
Sens blogger 6th Sens making fun of this article is worth a read:

http://www.the6thsens.com/2011-articles/june/nationalpostevaluatesthedraft919391.html

My favorite part:

Michael - "OMG I just noticed you had Shane Prince going in the first round. He went 61st overall."

Mark - "I know. I had him as a first round player and then didn't mention him in my draft review because whatever it's just Ottawa and players on Ottawa are garbage. I think he was bad value at 61 but great value at 26."

Benttheknee

Jun 18, 2005
Ottawa
Ottawa claimed that both Noesen and Puempel were top 15 in their list, while Prince was in their top 30.

Call me skeptical, but what they did was prioritize skill and scoring over other things. So while the can claim that they got the BPA, clearly each year, they will prioritize things a bit differently.

I am not saying that it is a bad thing, but teams can change who is the BPA based on priorities.

The draft will be a success if these kids turn out to be solid pros, so IMO these draft reviews are kind of silly.

Kairi Zaide

Unforgiven
Aug 11, 2009
Quebec City
Obviously, Ottawa should've gone with a potential franchise defenseman when they had no prospects upfront but Rundblad, Karlsson, Cowen, etc. on the backend. This made me laugh.

The Kremelin Wall*

Hopefully the "Hans" can convince our players to come over. :sarcasm:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad