• D - mostly negative emotions

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

ViD

#CBJNeedHugs
Sponsor
Apr 21, 2007
Blue Jackets Area
Given the moves Jarmo has made so far, grade the GM performance based on expectations and outcome.

Trades:
Jones to CHI
Atkinson to PHI
Bean from CAR

Draft
Johnson
Sillinger
Ceulemans
All in round 1

Free Agents
Sean Kuraly
Gavin Bayreuther

RFA signings
Patrick Laine
Boone Jenner
Alex Texier
Eric Robinson

EspenK

Sep 25, 2011
Great job on trades, meh on FA's, some good contracts, some perhaps a bit rich &a bit long.

I'd say pretty good draft because I'm not sold on Johnson. Had we added Eklund I would have said great. (And if we could have...nevermind:laugh:). Definitely helped build the prospect pool.

Reactions: CBJWerenski8

Fro

Cheatin on CBJ w TBL
Mar 11, 2009
The Beach, FL
Were no real high end FAs I thought we would realistically be in on...happy with moves we made, trades we had to do...lost nothing in ED

Still lots going on that can improve the team

CBJWerenski8

Formerly CBJWennberg10 (RIP Kivi)
Jun 13, 2009
I’m not voting since it’s still too early. But as of now I’d say B. A solid. B

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
So far it's a B+ from me.

The two big assignments are the Jones trade and the draft. And both earn high marks. Really how Jarmo got so much when the Hawks were the only team willing to pay him his ask, that's remarkable. A+. The draft grade is obviously subject to change but so far so good. I love the Sillinger pick especially. The prospect pool is suddenly high end and it is a good feeling.

The next biggest thing is the Voracek acquisition, and I love the trade. I was hoping we would take him for free as he would be the best playmaker on our team, and we actually ended up trading our worst contract to get him. That's an A+ from me.

As I'm sure you've all heard, I don't like the 5 years for Jenner and 4 for Kuraly, I think we would be better off without those commitments. But that's also just not as important. If we have to some buy-outs that's not as bad as say, drafting the wrong guy, or not getting a good return on Jones. Beyond that I wish the Jackets picked up Pius Suter. And gotten a guy like Hakanpaa to help insulate at RD, we still need someone to do that job. And I wish we could find a Korpisalo deal. So there's room for the grade to go up a bit if Jarmo gets more work done.

EspenK

Sep 25, 2011
Curious as to all the noticeably improved votes? Lost our top D--man, signed a 4th liner and a D prospect as free agents, and traded Cam for Jake. to me that ain't noticeable improvement. Guess it is the Jackets fan tendency to overvalue moves made and always expect the best.

Not Wendell do the posters here have a profile? My guess is lots have whatever Charlie Brown has vis a vis Lucy and the football. :laugh:

The draft I think improved the prospect pool a lot. But those guys are all TBD's in reality.

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
Curious as to all the noticeably improved votes? Lost our top D--man, signed a 4th liner and a D prospect as free agents, and traded Cam for Jake. to me that ain't noticeable improvement. Guess it is the Jackets fan tendency to overvalue moves made and always expect the best.

If you didn't expect the team to be rebuilding then yeah I'm sure you might give a lower grade. But I've already factored that into giving Jarmo a rotten grade for last year. This is a new offseason and we're taking for granted that Jones is leaving. Our only metric is how much in futures you get for him.

You'll see some noticeable improvement when Jake takes the ice. He fills a much bigger need for us.

KJ Dangler

Oct 21, 2006
Columbus
Knowing context .. that we were going into a rebuild , not a reload … A+ from me . Prospect pool went from decimated , to a lot of really good talent in one draft .

Entering a rebuild , didn’t expect the cbj to be players on any substantial free agents . I think with Kuraly they have a really good line with Boone and Robinson, and Voracek is a huge upgrade over cam .

Jarmo got about all you could ever hope for in his return for Jones … Boquist , Sillinger , and a 1st next yr .

Team as structured , can let it rip and know what we have with Texier , Foudy.

Domi, Nyquist and maybe Werenski will be moved at deadline . All in all , amazing job in a short period of time

Reactions: majormajor

Johansen2Foligno

CBJ Realest
Jan 2, 2015
No complaints from me. I will leave that to everyone else on here.

giphy.gif

Byrral

Aug 2, 2006
Columbus, Ohio
Solid job. If things go as predicted this season the job will be continued next offseason. Then they will be set up to start adding a young player or three over the next several seasons as long as Marchenko and Voronkov don't sign extensions in Russia.

MoeBartoli

Checkers-to-Jackets
Jan 12, 2011
B, based on the context of where we are in this whole process. My B is driven by draft picks which on paper seem good (although time will reveal the final grade) and the haul for Jones. As stated before, I don’t like the Kuraly signing and am meh on the return of Bayruether.

Reactions: EspenK and Fro

MoeBartoli

Checkers-to-Jackets
Jan 12, 2011
So far it's a B+ from me.

The two big assignments are the Jones trade and the draft. And both earn high marks. Really how Jarmo got so much when the Hawks were the only team willing to pay him his ask, that's remarkable. A+. The draft grade is obviously subject to change but so far so good. I love the Sillinger pick especially. The prospect pool is suddenly high end and it is a good feeling.

The next biggest thing is the Voracek acquisition, and I love the trade. I was hoping we would take him for free as he would be the best playmaker on our team, and we actually ended up trading our worst contract to get him. That's an A+ from me.

As I'm sure you've all heard, I don't like the 5 years for Jenner and 4 for Kuraly, I think we would be better off without those commitments. But that's also just not as important. If we have to some buy-outs that's not as bad as say, drafting the wrong guy, or not getting a good return on Jones. Beyond that I wish the Jackets picked up Pius Suter. And gotten a guy like Hakanpaa to help insulate at RD, we still need someone to do that job. And I wish we could find a Korpisalo deal. So there's room for the grade to go up a bit if Jarmo gets more work done.
Agree Pius Suter would have been a nice pick up.

CBJx614

May 25, 2012
C-137
Perfect? No. But still one helluva off-season thus far even if nothing else gets done, future actually looks like it could be pretty bright

Reactions: cslebn

MAHJ71

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 6, 2014
NWA 217
Solid B…

Draft seemed to end up great. I would have liked to see more picks acquired using our cap space but I’m not surprised Jarmo is being picky. Jones deal I wanted Reichel but cannot complain much with what we got in return. ZW signing was a pleasant surprise and glad we got that out of the way.

Reactions: Long Live Lyle

Jyrki

Benning has been purged! VANmen!
May 24, 2011
溫哥華
Solid A- so far IMO. Came into the offseason with a lot of difficult decisions to make and nearly all of them have been the right ones, some more than "correct".

The team won't be so bad that it will compete with the worst yet the cupboards are quickly being restocked. Clear shift in identity as the post-Torts era dawns. Retaining Z was huge. Only negative to me so far was the Cam-Jake swap... just why? Voracek is the better player but this squad won't be competing for the playoffs for the next season or two the soonest. No reason to take a substantially higher cap hit and maybe deny us some important flexibility if the youth impresses sooner than expected, while showing we'll ship loyal players for questionable marginal improvement.

EspenK

Sep 25, 2011
I wouldn't say the team has improved but the extension for Zach is an A+. Now the rebuild can continue without worrying about him. I will change my vote to B because the franchise is in better shape to go forward.

Reactions: Forepar

NotTooWideArena

May 20, 2021
I think the return of Davidson has been a real help.

A lot depends on the coaching change - if Larsen can get more production from our young guys, this off-season is going to be viewed as a watershed for this franchise. If not, in a few years all those promising draft picks may melt away like a spring snow and we will be starting over again.

The Werenski signing is huge, and almost entirely positive.

Given the cards he was dealt, Jarmo did well in the Jones trade.

Nothing against Atkinson, who gave us a lot of good years, but I think Voracek will prove to be a real upgrade.

I don't expect much from Bean, and would have liked to see a stay-at-home right-shot d-man added. Kuraly has to help on faceoffs.

Nothing resolved in the goalie situation, but maybe the Kivlenieks tragedy complicated that. There is no huge rush here.

This team is going to have a roster full of questions next season, but I expect at least some of the answers to be positive!

I call it a B+.

JacketsDavid

Jan 11, 2013
Solid to high end B (B to B+).
Thrilled with the draft and Zach staying.
Very happy with Jones return, would have been "thrilled" if there was a high end prospect included but still very good return.
Free Agency has left some to be desired.

DoingItCoolKiwi

May 23, 2017
B (so far)

Pros:
  • Excellent draft
  • Good trades
  • Good RFA deals, and overpaying Werenski was a necessary so it doesnt affect my grading negatively.

Cons:
  • Questionable UFA deals for weak players.

TBD:
  • Get a good deal for Korpi I'll make it a B+.
  • Get a long-term 1C I'll make it a A-.
  • Do both I'll give the A.

Reactions: Youngguns80

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad